PDA

View Full Version : 21-Year-Old Woman Only Has To Pay $500 Fine After Hitting, Killing Motorcyclist

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2014, 11:13 AM
By Lina Batarags - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/W3E6YZB.jpg

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – A woman who hit and killed a man in March of 2013 will face no greater legal repercussions than a $500 fine.

Elizabeth Meyers, 21, was pulling out onto Route 3 in Gambrills and heading towards a convenience store when she hit and killed 30-year-old Jonathan Roberts, who was riding his motorcycle.

The collision reportedly propelled Roberts into the air; he died at the Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie.

Authorities have said that Roberts had the right of way.

Officials have said that a witness reported seeing Meyers texting on a cellphone as she pulled onto the road.

Initially, the Anne Arundel County woman was facing six charges: negligent manslaughter by motor vehicle, criminal negligent manslaughter, reckless driving, negligent driving, failure to yield the right of way and text messaging while driving.

Two of the charges she had initially been facing – felony auto manslaughter and misdemeanor criminally negligent manslaughter – both carry jail time.

On Monday, however, the Anne Arundel County State’s Attorney’s Office said that Meyers pleaded guilty to negligent driving, for which she was issued a $500 fine.

The six initial charges had been based on evidence at the scene and witness accounts. However, as a representative for the Attorney’s Office said, additional police work revealed conflicting evidence, which led to Meyers’ plea deal.

Accounting for the lessened sentence, in part, was the fact that although cellphone records have indicated that Meyers had sent text messages one to two minutes before the collision, they did not prove that she had been texting at the time of the collision.

Furthermore, although the witness reported that Meyers had not come to a complete stop before crossing the highway, Attorney Anne Colt Leitess said that a data recording device in the car indicated that she had, indeed, stopped.

“There’s no justice for my grandson, none at all. She’s going to walk free,” said the victim’s grandmother, Carol Meloy, after hearing of Meyers’ greatly reduced sentence.

RBP
05-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Wow. Data recording device?

FBD
05-13-2014, 12:39 PM
ooookay, who's she related to

KevinD
05-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Wow. Data recording device?
All newer vehicles come with them, since 2005 or so iirc. They are the automotive version of aircraft black boxes. They record 30 seconds or so. Thought we had a thread about it, but may have been on AS.

KevinD
05-13-2014, 12:52 PM
From wiki fwiw:

From 1998 to 2001, the*National Highway Traffic Safety Administration*(NHTSA) sponsored a working group specifically tasked with the study of EDRs. After years of evaluation, NHTSA released a formal Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in 2004. This notice declared NHTSA’s intent to standardize EDRs. It was not until August 2006 that NHTSA released its final ruling (49 CFR Part 563). The ruling was lengthy (207 pages), consisting of not only definitions and mandatory EDR standards, but also acted as a formal reply to the dozens of petitions received by NHTSA after the 2004 notice.

Since there was already an overwhelming trend for voluntary EDR installation, the ruling did not require manufacturers to install EDRs in vehicles produced for North America. Based on its analysis, NHTSA estimated that by 2010, over 85% of vehicles would already have EDRs installed in them, but warned that if the trend did not continue, the agency would revisit their decision and possibly make installation a requirement.

The mandate did, however, provide a minimum standard for the type of data that EDRs would be required to record: at least 15 types of crash data. Some of the required crash data include pre-crash speed, engine throttle, brake use, measured changes in forward velocity (Delta-V), driver safety belt use, airbag warning lamp status and airbag deployment times.

In addition to the required data, NHTSA also set standards for 30 other types of data if EDRs were voluntarily configured to record them. For example, if a manufacturer configured an EDR to record engine RPMs or ABS activity, then the EDR would have to record 5 seconds of those pre-crash data in half-second increments.

Besides the requirement that all data be able to survive a 30 MPH barrier crash and be measured with defined precision, NHTSA also required that all manufacturers make their EDR data publicly available. As of October 2009, only General Motors, Ford and Daimler Chrysler had released their EDR data to be publicly read.

In the August 2006 ruling, NHTSA set a time table for all vehicle manufacturers to be in compliance with the new EDR standards. The compliance date was originally set for all vehicles manufactured after September 1, 2010. NHTSA has since updated its ruling (49 CFR Part 563 Update) to give vehicle manufacturers until September 1, 2012 to be in compliance with the original ruling.

Muddy
05-13-2014, 04:14 PM
She's gotta live with murdering someone.. (Not That I agree with her punishment)

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2014, 04:33 PM
She's gotta live with murdering someone.. (Not That I agree with her punishment)

And if you have any kind of conscience, that is gonna eat at you every day for the rest of your life

Pony
05-13-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm sure a lawsuit will follow.

FBD
05-13-2014, 04:36 PM
And if you have any kind of conscience, that is gonna eat at you every day for the rest of your life

conversely, if you have none whatsoever, you'll sleep just fine at night. (but dont expect that karma forgets ;) )

Hal-9000
05-13-2014, 06:03 PM
guy hit my nephew on a sunny day....nephew was walking beside the road (as all schoolkids do out by my sister's place)

he has never been charged, ticketed....nothing

Guy obviously wasn't paying attention and was in the wrong, yet nothing. We were taught that pedestrians always have the right of way on a road, and my nephew was hit 1.5 meters from the shoulder of the road (ditch side)

and yes boo hoo, his life is ruined etc etc because he killed a young boy....yet the guy is still living