PDA

View Full Version : Michigan police shoot, kill couple's dog in their backyard: Owners

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2014, 11:20 AM
BY Meg Wagner - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/swPsrn9.jpg

A Michigan couple is furious after police shot and killed their 10-month-old lab-pit bull puppy in their own backyard.

Bianca Alakson and Ryan Showalter said their dog, Rock, was in their backyard Sunday morning when police began chasing a suspect through their Redford Township neighborhood, WDIV-TV reported.

Police said they saw their suspect in the couple's home. When officers went through the gate into the backyard to find the suspect, Rock charged, one officer said.

The officer fired one round, but when that didn't stop the dog, he fired a second, fatal shot.

Police arrested Showalter for interfering with the investigation when he confronted them about the situation. Showalter said he was just asking what happened to his dog.

"I was breaking down hysterically in the back seat of the cop car, crying," he said

Showalter hasn't been charged.

Friends and neighbors said Rock was friendly and good with strangers.

"He wasn't the protector-of-the-house type dog," Showalter told the TV station. "He was just the greet-everybody-and-love-them-to-death type dog."

"He was just my baby," Alakson added.

FBD
05-14-2014, 12:19 PM
fkn cops. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyeah, we saw the suspect IN YOUR HOME...that's why we had to shoot your dog, see....

DemonGeminiX
05-14-2014, 02:12 PM
:|

FBD
05-14-2014, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzo2BUptOIM

Teh One Who Knocks
05-14-2014, 02:22 PM
If the cops broke into my backyard and killed one or both of my dogs, in pursuit of a suspect or not, I would file a lawsuit so fast that it would make their head spin.

At what point does your private property not become your private property anymore? Did the cops have the right to pursue the suspect thru people's yards? I would say that's probably okay as long as it was in a pursuit that was already engaged, not a random search of people's yards without their consent. But did the cops have the right to shoot the owner's dog because they felt 'threatened'? No fucking way...

FBD
05-14-2014, 02:51 PM
the thing that pisses me off is that cops can and will make up any story or version of events that pretty much *always* gets them off the hook for acting like thugs from a fkn cartel

Acid Trip
05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Shoot my dog, in my yard, and you won't live to tell about it.

My private property was invaded by Police Officers who did not announce themselves and, in the course of trespassing, shot and killed a member of my family. That's why they are full of 5.56 and 7.62 rounds.

Muddy
05-14-2014, 03:46 PM
If the cops broke into my backyard and killed one or both of my dogs, in pursuit of a suspect or not, I would file a lawsuit so fast that it would make their head spin.

At what point does your private property not become your private property anymore? Did the cops have the right to pursue the suspect thru people's yards? I would say that's probably okay as long as it was in a pursuit that was already engaged, not a random search of people's yards without their consent. But did the cops have the right to shoot the owner's dog because they felt 'threatened'? No fucking way...

I wonder if the same rules apply if the yard is posted with a warning about the animal?

Acid Trip
05-14-2014, 04:14 PM
I wonder if the same rules apply if the yard is posted with a warning about the animal?

NEVER post a warning about an animal. Lawyers have turned that into "So you knew you had an aggressive dog and kept it anyway? That's negligence!"

FBD
05-14-2014, 04:19 PM
got one at the studio...everyone but the pseudo owner looks at that dog with a careful eye

Muddy
05-14-2014, 04:39 PM
NEVER post a warning about an animal. Lawyers have turned that into "So you knew you had an aggressive dog and kept it anyway? That's negligence!"

I would only do it to make sure no neighborhood kids got hurt..

FBD
05-14-2014, 04:43 PM

yeah, except there is nothing illegal about keeping an aggressive dog...in fact if you know the dog is aggressive, its been argued that lack of sign is negligent.

Hal-9000
05-14-2014, 06:59 PM
we had a story here years ago where cops shot a dog...6 times

pressman I worked with had a brother in law who was one of the cops doing the shooting...he hated it when we teased him because the dog was small (non pitbull, non Rottie, non threatening) and our police took a lot of heat over the shooting

I'm with Lance...if the cops are in your backyard they had better leave it the same way they found it..

and I'm with Muddy. You should be able to put up a warning sign for the general public, to keep them out of potential harm's way

PorkChopSandwiches
05-14-2014, 07:04 PM
What a pile of crap

Joebob034
05-16-2014, 04:29 AM
Haha, Redford is nothing but white trash