PDA

View Full Version : American foods the rest of the world thinks are strange

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2014, 11:05 AM
By Serusha Govender - The Daily Meal

There are plenty of foods eaten around the world that Americans think are just plain odd.

In Asia, for example, eating fried insects is commonplace and, while unorthodox and less common in the U.S., it is a staple of the culture’s food and a good source of protein. Meanwhile in South America, eating cuy (guinea pig) has been a widespread practice for centuries, and though many North Americans may find it abhorrent to eat a beloved family pet, the guinea pig holds no such honor in non-Western societies and is often raised explicitly for food. There are plenty of foods eaten in the States that are also thought of as a little strange.

Admit it, you’ve looked at aerosol spray cheese that comes out of a can — that bright-yellow, gooey, cheese-like concoction that’s sprayed onto bread, squeezed onto other foods like hot dogs, or just eaten straight from the nozzle — and thought “that’s a strange thing to be eating.” You’re not alone… many American foods baffle people from other countries.

Even American “classics” like the corn dogs are a little mind-boggling… a hot dog, battered, deep-fried, and then smeared with ketchup and mustard is not a combination many people would turn to when it comes to preferred snack foods.

Still, while many favorite American foods may be considered downright strange by the rest of the world in some ways it can be a good thing — America (in this case meaning the U.S.) is often criticized for not having its own cuisine. The expression “as American as apple pie” is not really accurate since the British were eating apple pie centuries before. The hot dog is really a German, not an American invention. But… the corn dog amalgamation, strange as it may seem, that’s entirely American in origin.

Read on to see what other foods are enjoyed across the U.S. that the rest of the world thinks are strange.

1. Maple Bacon (Also Bacon Chocolate, Bacon Cupcakes, and Bacon Lollipops)

http://i.imgur.com/YYvMUqR.jpg

Bacon is overwhelmingly popular across the U.S. with people enjoying it crispy, juicy, with cheese, on waffles… just about any iteration you can come up with is likely to impress (unless you’re a vegan). But having a prepackaged product that’s both maple syrup and bacon, though tasty, is a little off center for the rest of the world. The same applies to chocolate with bacon in it and a premade cupcake mix with bacon bits mixed in.

2. Grits

http://i.imgur.com/gKKtrm6.jpg

Grits are just one of many Southern food favorites that seems bizarre to the rest of the world. This dish of ground-up corn kernels boiled in milk is enjoyed mushy and with butter (and/or lard), cheese, and gravy. The texture is difficult to qualify… is it supposed to be like mashed potatoes? Is it like porridge? We just don’t understand…

3. Chicken and Waffles

http://i.imgur.com/eElUbwa.jpg

This southern favorite is fast gaining popularity across the U.S. for its tasty flavor combination. But while it may be delicious to America, the rest of the world is not that keen on putting deep-fried chicken on a buttermilk waffle and drizzling it with maple syrup… that’s pushing the boat out a little too far!

4. Peanut Butter and Jelly

http://i.imgur.com/0wY3cxp.jpg

Peanut butter is eaten in many countries, but it’s not as popular elsewhere as it is in the States. When you combine it with jelly (or Marshmallow Fluff), well that’s just an off center combination that many people outside of the U.S. would not even want to try. Bear in mind though, in some countries, peanut butter is drizzled with some golden syrup or honey to sweeten it up on a piece of toast or in a sandwich… it’s just never combined with jelly (or jam, which is traditionally its own separate sandwich spread).

5. Corn Dogs

http://i.imgur.com/ICK9g6o.jpg

They’re a favorite at street carts, fairgrounds, and parks, but most of the world still thinks that this hot dog dipped in batter and deep-fried is strange. Stranger still is when it’s drenched in ketchup and mustard before being eaten.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Corn Dogs :homer:

Jezter
05-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Maple Bacon (Also Bacon Chocolate, Bacon Cupcakes, and Bacon Lollipops) and 3. Chicken and Waffles the only weird ones in my opinion. We have "Polenta" in Europe which is pretty much like grits. It is good stuff. PB&J is not so weird as I believe some Euro countries like to put jam/jelly on their bread. We Scandis don't...so mashing it up with some PB, why not. Corndogs are good! Had a few during my visits over the pond and they are always good! Weird the first time you have it, but after that, oh hells yeah!

FBD
05-15-2014, 05:18 PM
chicken and waffles :lol: that is just strange. I dont like waffles anyway.

flavored bacon, though :drool:

I just had some cobb smoked bacon from ncsmokehouse (.com)....in heaven right now :drool:

Acid Trip
05-15-2014, 05:40 PM
If you don't like all 5 you're f'ing crazy.

KevinD
05-16-2014, 12:33 AM
2,3,4, and 5.

I don't eat grits with cheese though, and just last year tried chicken and waffles. I'd have sworn chicken and waffles was a Kalifonia invention though.

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Never been much for grits.

:dunno:

Muddy
05-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Never been much for grits.

:dunno:

Me either.. Like gritty unflavored corn waste..

Griffin
05-16-2014, 01:07 AM
grits as a side dish with salt and whatever = nasty
grits as a hot breakfast cereal with sugar, cinnamon, milk = delicious.

Acid Trip
05-16-2014, 03:48 PM
2,3,4, and 5.

I don't eat grits with cheese though, and just last year tried chicken and waffles. I'd have sworn chicken and waffles was a Kalifonia invention though.

I learned about Chicken and Waffles in the South. A little search says the combo has been around since before the Revolutionary War.

FBD
05-16-2014, 03:53 PM
I looked in here and was reminded that I have that bacon in the fridge :yumyum:

is that fried chicken and waffles?? I cant eat fried shit anyway, I went a while without having it then going back was murder, so only very sparingly these days.

Acid Trip
05-16-2014, 04:37 PM
I looked in here and was reminded that I have that bacon in the fridge :yumyum:

is that fried chicken and waffles?? I cant eat fried shit anyway, I went a while without having it then going back was murder, so only very sparingly these days.

Just don't eat the skin then. All the chicken glory without the fat.

Lambchop
05-16-2014, 04:58 PM
I like those little chocolate peanut cups you guys have. The taste sensation is unusual but enjoyable

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Just don't eat the skin then. All the chicken glory without the fat.

Sacrilege :hand:

Noilly Pratt
05-16-2014, 05:17 PM
Just made "fried" chicken last night - you get egg and milk, dip your chicken into a bowl of that...and then dip them in a bowl with crushed up soup crackers. Bake in the oven for 375 for about 45 minutes and you have a much more nutritional alternative.

Muddy
05-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Just made "fried" chicken last night - you get egg and milk, dip your chicken into a bowl of that...and then dip them in a bowl with crushed up soup crackers. Bake in the oven for 375 for about 45 minutes and you have a much more nutritional alternative.

:gtfo: another sacrilege..

Hugh_Janus
05-16-2014, 09:58 PM
1 just sounds nasty
2 always wanted to try grits.... don't think I'd like it though
3 never been a fan of fried chicken.... don't like greasy food
4 is ok
5 a battered sausage on a stick? Lovely.... :wha:

Godfather
05-16-2014, 10:16 PM
PB&J isn't common everywhere? Weird, it's such a staple in North America.

I've never tried waffles and fried chicken... I like both independently but I'd love to know why they every got put together??

Lambchop
05-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Also the baked biscuits in the US (made with flour, baking soda etc.) I wanna try them

minz
05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Sweet and savory is something I couldn't get my head around when I visited America. :lol: It's quite rare in the UK

Hal-9000
05-17-2014, 03:19 AM
PB&J isn't common everywhere? Weird, it's such a staple in North America.

I've never tried waffles and fried chicken... I like both independently but I'd love to know why they every got put together??

We've had maple bacon up here for decades, not that strange. Same with PB&J as GF mentions....we don't have grits and waffles and chicken is just a combo of foods (not common here)

Corn dogs are normal too for us

RBP
05-17-2014, 12:50 PM
I like those little chocolate peanut cups you guys have. The taste sensation is unusual but enjoyable

Peanut butter cups aren't available elsewhere? I can never leave the country. :sad2:

Lambchop
05-17-2014, 01:07 PM
We have them in big shops and in some smaller shops. The big shop near me has an aisle dedicated to American food only but it is quite expensive (£5/ $8.40 for a box of Lucky Charms for example)

:sadchop:

RBP
05-17-2014, 01:09 PM
We have them in big shops and in some smaller shops. The big shop near me has an aisle dedicated to American food only but it is quite expensive (£5/ $8.40 for a box of Lucky Charms for example)

:sadchop:

I'd start a food exchange, but there's no English food worth sending. :nana:

Lambchop
05-17-2014, 01:30 PM
I would offer you my famous white sauce filled lamb sausages but Hal just ate the last batch

RBP
05-17-2014, 02:52 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
8.40 for Lucky Charms??

I'll make a blue double decker bus and drive awaaaay! :)

sadchop :lol: bite me sausage-boy

Godfather
05-17-2014, 09:19 PM
We've had maple bacon up here for decades, not that strange. Same with PB&J as GF mentions....we don't have grits and waffles and chicken is just a combo of foods (not common here)

Corn dogs are normal too for us

Oddly enough, some UVic friends of mine opened a Waffle place in Victoria that's done pretty well... I believe one of their dishes is waffles & chicken, but I've never tried it. They're two white Canadian boys anyways, so I doubt it's as good as the stuff down south.