PDA

View Full Version : Utah lawmaker: Bring back firing squad executions

Teh One Who Knocks
05-19-2014, 11:39 AM
By MICHELLE L. PRICE - The Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY — In the wake of a botched lethal injection in Oklahoma last month, a Utah lawmaker says he believes a firing squad is a more humane form of execution. And he plans to bring back that option for criminals sentenced to death in his state.

Rep. Paul Ray, a Republican from the northern Utah city of Clearfield, plans to introduce his proposal during Utah's next legislative session in January. Lawmakers in Wyoming and Missouri floated similar ideas this year, but both efforts stalled. Ray, however, may succeed. Utah already has a tradition of execution by firing squad, with five police officers using .30-caliber Winchester rifles to execute Ronnie Lee Gardner in 2010, the last execution by rifle to be held in the state.

Ray argues the controversial method may seem more palatable now, especially as states struggle to maneuver lawsuits and drug shortages that have complicated lethal injections.

"It sounds like the Wild West, but it's probably the most humane way to kill somebody," Ray said.

Utah eliminated execution by firing squad in 2004, citing the excessive media attention it gave inmates. But those sentenced to death before that date still had the option of choosing it, which is how Gardner ended up standing in front of five armed Utah police officers. Gardner was sentenced to death for fatally shooting a Salt Lake City attorney in 1985 while trying to escape from a courthouse.

He was third person to die by firing squad after the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976. A couple other death row inmates have opted to die by gunfire instead of lethal injection in Utah, but they are all several years away from exhausting the appeals of their death sentences, Assistant Utah Attorney General Thomas Brunker said. Ray's proposal would give all inmates the option.

Lethal injection, the default method of execution in the U.S., has received heightened scrutiny after secrecy and drug shortages in recent years and the April incident in Oklahoma, when inmate Clayton Lockett's vein collapsed and he died of a heart attack more than 40 minutes later.

Ray and lawmakers in other states have suggested firing squads might be the cheapest and most humane method.

"The prisoner dies instantly," Ray said. "It sounds draconian. It sounds really bad, but the minute the bullet hits your heart, you're dead. There's no suffering."

Opponents of the proposal say firing squads are not necessarily a fool-proof answer.

It's possible an inmate could move or shooters could miss, causing the inmate a slow and painful death, said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Washington, D.C.,-based Death Penalty Information Center, which opposes capital punishment.

"The idea is that it would be very quick and accurate but just a little movement by the person could change that," he said. "Things can go wrong with any method of execution."

He cited a case from Utah's territorial days in 1897, when a firing squad missed Wallace Wilkerson's heart and it took him 27 minutes to die, according to newspaper accounts of the execution.

Dieter said that if Utah brought back firing squads as a default option rather than leaving it up to inmates to choose, as was the practice before 2004, it could be challenged in court.

The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the use of the firing squad in 1879, but as tastes have changed in the country since then, Dieter said it's possible a modern court could rule the practice violates an inmate's protection from cruel and unusual punishment.

Beyond the legal challenges, Dieter said it will probably bring back the kind of "voyeuristic attention" the state wanted to avoid.

For Ray, the option makes sense to avoid a situation like Oklahoma or legal fights over the blend of drugs used in lethal injections.

"There's no easy way to put somebody to death, but you need to be efficient and effective about it," Ray said. "This is certainly one way to do that."

redred
05-19-2014, 11:51 AM
well you do like guns so why not :lol:

FBD
05-19-2014, 12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2014, 10:20 PM
They should bring back all the old school forms of execution. Before New Hampshire abolished it, hanging was a form of execution there and Utah had the firing squad up until not that long ago.

Fuck the whole cruel and unusual argument, it sickens me when people are more worried if the person being executed might get an owie during the execution than they are about the victim that was strung upsidedown and gutted like an animal....or maybe buried alive.

Want to solve the problem? Let the parents/friends/relatives of the victims have a go with the convicted murderer, I'm sure they'll do it free of charge.

redred
05-20-2014, 10:23 PM
bamboo execution :tup:

DemonGeminiX
05-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Have the condemned kneel in front of an open mass grave. Have one person (preferably from the family(s) of the victim(s)) shoot him in the head twice. Watch the newly deceased condemned fall into the open mass grave. Bring the next condemned to the open mass grave. Repeat.

When the open mass grave becomes full, burn the remains to ash to make space for more condemned.

redred
05-20-2014, 10:33 PM
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274707-d539445-Reviews-Torture_Museum-Prague_Bohemia.html

i've been to this place a couple of times , some are an eye opening er

Loser
05-21-2014, 12:21 AM
I always said you run a couple of them motherfuckers through a guillotine in plain view of everyone, it'll cut down on crime right quick and in a hurry :lol:

Hal-9000
05-21-2014, 04:22 AM
Firing squads have always fascinated me...from what I've read, they typically have a group of shooters...let's say 6...and only one guy gets the live round. That way, none of the shooters is supposed to know who had the killing shot.

What if that one guy fucked up and missed or only winged the guy? :lol:

Godfather
05-21-2014, 05:20 AM
Firing squads have always fascinated me...from what I've read, they typically have a group of shooters...let's say 6...and only one guy gets the live round. That way, none of the shooters is supposed to know who had the killing shot.

What if that one guy fucked up and missed or only winged the guy? :lol:

My understanding is there are a few ways to run it... another is a little more 'sure fire' in that you'll have say 5 shooters, 4 of which have bullets. That way, the shooters never really know for certain that they shot the person, thereby reducing guilt I guess.

Hal-9000
05-21-2014, 06:00 AM
Firing squads and hanging are two visceral and hardcore ways to kill people......they should bring back the guillotine :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Execution should be hardcore :thumbsup: I don't think the guillotine is hardcore enough, at least for the person being executed. I would imagine that it's fairly painless and it's uber quick. The spectacle is more for the audience than it is for the condemned. The person being executed should feel it and it should hurt.

They have sanitized it to be nothing more than an injection while lying on a gurney and people STILL cry about it being inhumane FFS. Execution should be scary and painful.

DemonGeminiX
05-21-2014, 02:16 PM
The head doesn't die directly after it's removed from the body when the guillotine is used. It lives on for a few seconds after the decapitation. There are stories that in some cases, the head has exhibited reactions for up to 30 seconds after. Science disputes the length of time the head remains alive, but there's no clear way to test it without killing people. Regardless, if that's not hardcore, experiencing your head falling away from your own body, and seeing for the last few seconds of your life, knowing this is happening to you, then I don't know what is.

The thought of it makes my skin crawl.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2014, 02:23 PM
The head doesn't die directly after it's removed from the body when the guillotine is used. It lives on for a few seconds after the decapitation. There are stories that in some cases, the head has exhibited reactions for up to 30 seconds after. Science disputes the length of time the head remains alive, but there's no clear way to test it without killing people. Regardless, if that's not hardcore, experiencing your head falling away from your own body, and seeing for the last few seconds of your life, knowing this is happening to you, then I don't know what is.

That is all well and good if the decapitated head is cognizant of what is going on, but there is really no way to tell. Now, if what you describe is true and the person could see their decapitated body just before they died, that would truly be awesome. But without knowing exactly what goes on in the decapitated head before death, all there can be is speculation.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2014, 02:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yttW1Lt.png

FBD
05-21-2014, 02:25 PM
I always said you run a couple of them motherfuckers through a guillotine in plain view of everyone, it'll cut down on crime right quick and in a hurry :lol:

this. let's start with the board of the federal reserve.

Hal-9000
05-21-2014, 02:54 PM

That is all well and good if the decapitated head is cognizant of what is going on, but there is really no way to tell. Now, if what you describe is true and the person could see their decapitated body just before they died, that would truly be awesome. But without knowing exactly what goes on in the decapitated head before death, all there can be is speculation.

If the decapitated head screamed, that would be a show stopper :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-21-2014, 04:09 PM
I think I'd lose my lunch.

Fortunately, the process severs the muscles and vocal cords, and the connection to the lungs, which are all necessary for the physical act of making sound with your voice. So as soon as your head is separated from your body, your ability to speak is gone.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2014, 04:16 PM
That's disappointing :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2014, 04:17 PM
How about bringing back execution by being drawn and quartered? :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Blowing from a gun is a method of execution in which the victim is typically tied to the mouth of a cannon and the cannon is fired. George Carter Stent describes the process as follows:

The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some 40 or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen.

Blowing from a gun was a reported means of execution as long ago as the 16th century, and was used until the 20th century. The method was utilized by Portuguese colonialists in the 16th and 17th centuries, from as early as 1509 in Ceylon (modern day Sri Lanka) to Mozambique to Brazil. The Mughals used the method throughout the 17th century and into the 18th, particularly against rebels.

Arguably, the nation most well known to have implemented this type of execution was the British Empire, in its role as colonial master in India, and in particular, as a punishment for native soldiers found guilty of mutiny or desertion. The British began implementing blowing from guns in the latter half of the 18th century, with the most intense period of use being during the repression of the Great Rebellion of 1857.

:thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Scaphism, also known as the boats, was an ancient Persian method of execution designed to inflict torturous death that was described by the Persians' archenemies, the Greeks. The name comes from the Greek σκάφη, skáphe, meaning "anything scooped (or hollowed) out".

The intended victim was stripped naked and then firmly fastened within the interior space of two narrow rowing boats (or hollowed-out tree trunks) joined together one on top of the other with the head, hands and feet protruding. The condemned was forced to ingest milk and honey to the point of developing a severe bowel movement and diarrhea, and more honey would be poured on him to attract insects, with special attention devoted to the eyes, ears, mouth, genitals, and anus. In some cases, the executioner would mix milk and honey and pour that mixture all over the victim. He would then be left to float on a stagnant pond or be exposed to the sun. The defenseless individual's feces accumulated within the container, attracting more insects which would eat and breed within his exposed flesh, which—pursuant to interruption of the blood supply by burrowing insects—became increasingly gangrenous. The individual would be lying there naked, covered from head to toe in milk, honey, and their own feces. The feeding would be repeated each day in some cases to prolong the torture, so that fatal dehydration or starvation did not occur. Death, when it eventually occurred, was probably due to a combination of dehydration, starvation and septic shock. Delirium would typically set in after a few days.

In other recorded versions, the insects did not eat the person; biting and stinging insects such as wasps, which were attracted by the honey on the body, acted as the torture.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
05-21-2014, 10:06 PM
A bullet to the head would be cheaper. Just sayin'.

Lambchop
05-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Can only hope they introduce death by snu snu if it was me facing the penalty.

Hal-9000
05-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Blowing from a gun...strapped to a canon, back against the opening...

brutality plus :lol: