PDA

View Full Version : Food should be regulated like tobacco, campaigners say

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2014, 11:35 AM
The Week

http://i.imgur.com/XvQ13SH.jpg

Governments around the world should impose regulations on food similar to those placed on tobacco to avoid obesity-related health problems in the future, campaigners say.

Consumers International (CI) and the World Obesity Federation (WOF) say that the potential threats posed by unhealthy foods could turn out to be more serious than those from cigarettes. The two groups called on governments around the world to introduce legislation to help consumers make healthy decisions about what they eat.

Unhealthy diets now rank above tobacco as a global cause of preventable non-communicable diseases, WOF said in a press release.

The two groups said that said worldwide deaths related to obesity and being overweight rose from 2.6 million in 2005 to 3.4 million in 2010.

CI's director general, Amanda Long, said that regulations should be imposed to avert problems similar to those caused by tobacco. "The scale of the impact of unhealthy food on consumer health is comparable to the impact of cigarettes," she added.

The two groups say that the best way to tackle the problem is through worldwide "collective action". The new rules the groups advocate include measures to reduce people's salt, saturated fat and sugar intakes, offering better food in hospitals and schools, the introduction of stricter advertising controls, and initiating better education campaigns to help individuals make healthy choices, the BBC reports.

Luke Upchurch at CI said: "If we don't take action now we are going to have the same intransigence and foot-dragging in the food industry... as the tobacco industry in the 1960s."

But Terry Jones, director of communications at the Food and Drink Federation, told the BBC that the food and drinks industry in the UK was already taking action to combat obesity.

He said: "The industry's participation in the UK government's public health responsibility deal sees manufacturers working in partnership with government, health organisations, NGOs and other stakeholders."

PorkChopSandwiches
05-20-2014, 03:21 PM
More government please

Pony
05-20-2014, 04:00 PM
More government please

You're at ground zero for that.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-20-2014, 04:02 PM
:dance:

Acid Trip
05-20-2014, 04:09 PM
I can't wait for a skull and crossbones to be on my next pizza/donut/cake/energy drink.

perrhaps
05-20-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm confused. If we all live longer thanks to the Nanny-State keeping us healthy, won't that, in turn, mean more people farting and exhaling longer, which, in turn, will result in an even quicker escalation of global warning, which, in turn, means we can't go to the beach for vacation, because the beach houses and hotels will be under water?

Further, won't the decrease in skin cancer that will result from no beach vacations mean that even more folks will live longer, which will exacerbate this?

Loser
05-20-2014, 08:23 PM
I do what I want when I want, people don't like it, fuck them.

Acid Trip
05-20-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm confused. If we all live longer thanks to the Nanny-State keeping us healthy, won't that, in turn, mean more people farting and exhaling longer, which, in turn, will result in an even quicker escalation of global warning, which, in turn, means we can't go to the beach for vacation, because the beach houses and hotels will be under water?

Further, won't the decrease in skin cancer that will result from no beach vacations mean that even more folks will live longer, which will exacerbate this?

:excellent:

Hal-9000
05-20-2014, 09:26 PM

The population explosion theory will take care of most of us, before any of what you write plays into the equation :thumbsup:

Lambchop
05-20-2014, 09:43 PM
I think if they banned the corn sugar shit that directly causes fatty liver disease, people would soon deflate.

Whether it should be banned or not regarding freedom of choice is another issue.

Hal-9000
05-20-2014, 09:53 PM
That's part of the whole problem...foods have so many additives that people get a heat em up dinner saying - Only 300 calories, it's healthy! ...when really it's so loaded with MSG like derivatives that the person will have a stroke by 40, thinking they're eating right

redred
05-20-2014, 09:55 PM
I can't wait for a skull and crossbones to be on my next pizza/donut/cake/energy drink.

joking aside should school kids be allowed 500ml of monster on the way to school in the morning , i see it daily and think it's crazy

Hal-9000
05-20-2014, 09:57 PM
I see kids from the junior high school (grades 7-9) going to my local Tim Hortons getting huge coffees etc....is that necessary at 12 yrs old?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2014, 10:06 PM
joking aside should school kids be allowed 500ml of monster on the way to school in the morning , i see it daily and think it's crazy

That's on the parents for letting their kids drink that stuff

Noilly Pratt
05-20-2014, 10:06 PM
When my daughter goes anywhere, shes always in the minority when she doesn't drink pop/soda. Sad.

redred
05-20-2014, 10:10 PM
That's on the parents for letting their kids drink that stuff

not always , its shop keepers selling it to them

Lambchop
05-20-2014, 10:13 PM
When my daughter goes anywhere, shes always in the minority when she doesn't drink pop/soda. Sad.
Sad in one aspect but wonderful in another that your kid will probably not develop diabetes etc.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-20-2014, 11:42 PM

I think those energy drinks should have an 18 and over rule.

DemonGeminiX
05-21-2014, 12:06 AM
not always , its shop keepers selling it to them

:-s

So shop keepers are responsible for raising other people's kids, teaching them how to make responsible choices? Sorry, dude. I don't think so. It's the parents' fault for not teaching their children to make responsible and healthy choices.