PDA

View Full Version : France Spent $20 Billion on Trains That Don't Fit in the Station

Teh One Who Knocks
05-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Gabrielle Bluestone - Gawker

http://i.imgur.com/8cTaTWd.jpg

French officials admitted this week that they may not have taken the most thorough measurements before writing a $20 billion check.

France's national train operator, SNCF, admitted this week that it ordered the fleet of new trains without double-checking the measurements. Now, officials say, the new trains are just too big to fit through many of France's regional train stations.

The measurements—provided by RFF, a separate entity that operates the country's rail system—only applied to modern stations built in the last thirty years.

Now, railway employees are currently working on a $50 million construction project to widen the tracks in more than 1,000 of the older, smaller stations.

"We discovered the problem a bit late," RFF spokesman Christophe Piednoël said in the most French explanation possible. "It's as if you bought a Ferrari and when you come to park it in your garage you realize your garage isn't exactly the right size for a Ferrari because you didn't have a Ferrari before."

FBD
05-23-2014, 12:36 PM
so full of win

I remember a buddy of mine back in college measuring the angle of his driveway, and the nose length was the only thing that made him buy that mustang instead of the camaro - because the nose would have hit, and he measured the fkn hell out of it to make sure before he expended a shit ton of his hard earned money.

lost in melb.
05-24-2014, 10:37 PM
I was going to say...just widen the tracks (which they did).

PorkChopSandwiches
05-24-2014, 11:08 PM
:government:

Hal-9000
05-25-2014, 05:21 PM
:haha:

deebakes
05-25-2014, 07:39 PM
:france: :obama: