PDA

View Full Version : Solar FREAKIN' Roadways!

FBD
05-23-2014, 02:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU

I was wondering how much it'd cost to pave the US roadways with these, but then I remembered its basically just monopoly money that gets conjured from thin air anyway, the fed should be able to ctrl+p the money for this no problemo

PorkChopSandwiches
05-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Sounds like an awesome idea

MrsM
05-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Cool concept - however I'm not sure some of their ideas will work - such as using the LED's for road markings or any other markings. At night... sure - however during the day, I cannot see how little LED's will be useful in full sunlight

Also - would like to see a practical implementation first... say a parking lot for a big chain store or something like that to see how it holds up and what it can do/cannot do. Then we could get a better understanding of the cost and ROI.

Acid Trip
05-28-2014, 05:09 PM
So how much does each hexagon cost?

FBD
05-28-2014, 05:11 PM
$64,187

:lol:

no I really have no idea.

agreed mrsM, parking lots and stuff. to do roadways writ large....suuuuuuuper infrastructure upgrades...prolly cost more than the dang panels themselves...

PorkChopSandwiches
05-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Parking lots are a great test bed, a lot of exposed to sun asphalt all day long.

Acid Trip
05-28-2014, 05:29 PM
$64,187

:lol:

no I really have no idea.

agreed mrsM, parking lots and stuff. to do roadways writ large....suuuuuuuper infrastructure upgrades...prolly cost more than the dang panels themselves...

Can you imagine if Walmart pounced on this first? Just their parking lots alone would generate enormous amounts of energy they could use to power their stores or sell for profit.

The Waltons love their profits.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-28-2014, 05:31 PM
That they do, of course they would negotiate the cost of each piece down to the point the company that produced them was losing money or lowering quality ;)