PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian artist eats own hip, says tasted of ‘wild sheep’

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2014, 11:50 AM
BY David Harding - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

http://i.imgur.com/3OSLFFVl.jpg
Alexander Selvik Wengshoel was born with a deformed hip, which was finally replaced. An artist, he was going to
make something of the bone that was removed — then he decided to cook and eat it as an artistic piece.

A Norwegian artist cooked and ate his own hip and claimed it tasted of "wild sheep".

Alexander Selvik Wengshoel said he served the hip bone with potato gratin and a glass of wine. He decided to eat a part of his own body on "a whim".

The hip bone, removed by doctors, has gone on display as part of an exhibition. The operation to remove the bone was filmed and forms part of the exhibition also.

Wengshoel, 25, a conceptual artist made the revelation at the opening of his graduation show from the Tromso Academy of Art.

He told The Local, "I just wanted to use it in my art. I didn't know at that time that I would boil it and eat it.

"I had to boil off the meat to get to the bone and when I started scraping off the meat, I took a little piece and though 'why not do it?' It's not every day I will have a piece of human flesh which is mine and which it is possible to eat. So I had a little taste and then I thought that's really nice."

He made himself dinner while his girlfriend was at work.

Wengshoel was born with a deformed hip, reports The Local and he spent years in a wheelchair or on crutches.

Aged 21, he was approved for a metal hip replacement. He spent a year trying to convince doctors to allow him to film the operation and after a year, they relented.

He said eating the hip bone was a way to help him purge the pain.

"The hip bone had been such a problem for me for over 20 years, and it was just a way of making it better again. It had been so hard to have it in my body, and when I took it out, it turned into something else, something romantic."

deebakes
05-27-2014, 12:58 PM
:homer:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Put you hand up on your hip, when I dip you dip we dip

Hal-9000
05-27-2014, 03:53 PM
:yumyum: