PDA

View Full Version : Little girl makes a WWII veteran cry

Goofy
05-28-2014, 07:01 PM
She was five years old, just about to turn six and she made a World War II Veteran Cry. She didn’t mean to do it.

In Washington D.C., there is a monument built largely with private funds. It’s not as tall as many of the monuments, it’s not as audacious as those erected for past presidents and founders of our country. It’s really sort of a simple monument, the Monument for WW II Veterans in Washington D.C.,. That’s where it happened.

My Daughter had been on the mall with me and my wife, she played, walked through the congressional hallways and contemplated the height and meaning of the Washington Monument. She still believes in her Nation and her flag. Forgive us for being sentimental–we’re old. That’s her, on a warm day, in little girl clothes, looking up at the tower we built to honor General Washington. Then, we walked to the World War II Monument.

http://i.imgur.com/Y8cWlWt.jpg?1

When we arrived at the Memorial, there were families walking about it. The wind was blowing softly and the day was unusually mild for D.C. Then the bus arrived.

World War II may be unique among wars in which our country has fought. The young men and women who fought it are no more brave or good than the young men and women who fought in any of our wars. But, the scope of the war was unique: the entire world was truly at risk of being run over by a man who believed in the supreme power of the “science” of his day; in Hitler’s twisted mind he—like, Stalin, the man with whom he pad partnered before he betrayed him–read in Eugenics, the great “science” of his time, that there we grades of human beings, some “races” ahead of others. Some “races” of human beings were so far behind, indicated the “science” of Eugenics, that Hitler and Stalin would be doing the world a “favor” by wiping out men and women and children and little babies … even little girls who stare at the sky and see in it possibilities for love and hope and happiness. Mad men are not unique—Saddam Hussein was a mad man, Mao was insane—but the world had allowed a stink-breathed psychopath named Adolph to roll over human beings and, because of appeasement, the risk of his winning half the world was real.

Then our boys and girls got into the battle.

The bus I mentioned unloaded old men, some women, but mostly old men. They leaned on canes, they rode in wheel chairs, a few walked, but they were in the minority. Even in the warm weather they wore coats and hats.

Oh, their hats! They had emblems on their hats: some were ball caps, some were cowboy hats and others were the hats from their old uniforms, taken from drawers or trunks for just this occasion. The emblems on the hats told the stories of people who survived what their brothers and sisters had not, they had the names of battles and units and ships that faced walls filled with machine guns and bombs. They told the stories of fighting tanks in the desert and submarines at sea. That is when my daughter saw one particular man, in a particular wheel chair, who gave my little girl a particular sort of wink—not a purposeful one, an accidental one, a smidgen of joy on his face even as he remembered his fallen friends.

The old soldier had come to see the monument built to honor not himself, but his brothers and sisters.

http://i.imgur.com/OAhAova.jpg

My daughter gripped my hand and asked me, “Daddy, is that man in the wheel chair a soldier?” I told her he was. “What is the jewelry on his shirt and hat?” I told her they were medals and what they meant and what he had probably seen and done to rescue the world from pure evil.

“Is he a hero?”

“Why don’t you go ask him?”

She released my hand and walked over to the old soldier—the WWII Veteran—I followed, but not too close. This was her moment with this man, with this history.

“Hi.”

The man smiled at her. “Hello there”, he said.

She pointed at his medals: “my Daddy says you are a soldier.”

The man looked up at me and I smiled. He looked back at my Daughter.

“I was, yes, I was.” He took my Daughter’s hand and patter her head.

“Are you a hero?’

How do you answer that? My dear friends who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan—Bryan, Kelly, Ben, David, Dennis, Mark, Sonia and many more—tell me that they don’t feel heroic, they just did their jobs. But, how do you answer a little girl, her eyes filled with admiration and a sense that you—the old man in the wheel chair—are something more than a guy who did a job?

That’s when he cried and, with all the might he could muster, picked her up and set her on his knee. She touched his ball cap filled with emblems. “Little one”, the man spoke,” I am not a hero, I am just an old soldier … these men …” he sobbed a little and rubbed her back and then looked at her again, “my friends were heroes and soldiers and I came here for them.”

My Daughter looked into this man’s eyes and did something only a little one would ever do. She put her finger inside her sleeve and she wiped the man’s cheeks.

He laughed and I walked over.

She got down and said, “he says he is not a hero, but his friends are.”

What do you say to that? To your little girl with the tears of an old soldier on her bright pink and white sleeve? You know what you don’t do? You don’t ruin the moment snapping pictures, you absorb it into your being.

I looked the old soldier in his green eyes and said, “Honey … that’s what true heroes always say and we just have to tell them thank you.”

The old man nodded and mouthed thank you.

Thank you to everyone who served and to everyone who died serving. We hold you in our prayers. We offer our sleeves, we offer our hearts, we thank you for the safety in which our children will sleep tonight.

Hugh_Janus
05-28-2014, 07:23 PM
man.... that reminds me of the end of the band of brothers series....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEjIIbOXqOk

that shit damn near broke me

Hal-9000
05-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Holy Alyson Hannigan, that's touching

Hal-9000
05-28-2014, 07:31 PM
man.... that reminds me of the end of the band of brothers series....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEjIIbOXqOk

that shit damn near broke me

yep

Acid Trip
05-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Argh...got something in my eye...making them water...dammit!

Hal-9000
05-28-2014, 10:30 PM
I've always wondered what veterans feel like coming back and integrating back into the normal world, after going through hell on Earth during a war.

The Battle of the Bulge when it was -30, snowing, the guys had no food or supplies and many of them didn't even have overcoats to help with the cold. Limited ammo and an enemy coming at them from all sides...I honestly can't imagine.

Then they return home and witness someone bitching about the size of their TV, or that they only make 50000/yr at their job, or someone bitching that a loaf of bread costs 2 dollars, while they're standing in a supermarket full of food...

Some of these guys (in any war) did things to survive that they can never talk about again. Coming back to society must be one of the best and worst moments of a soldier's life :(

KevinD
05-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Dammit. This made me cry too.

Godfather
05-29-2014, 02:04 AM
Damn that's cute. Lovely story, thanks.

I have really fond memories of sitting at my grandfather's feet with my brother. We'd ask him to tell war stores. He'd only tell the funny ones to us at that age, and used to say 'oh I never saw anything, it was always too dark to see during the fighting.' Of course that wasn't true... He served in the First Special Service Force from its formation until it was disbanded. They did some incredible and gut wrenching things and my grandmother said he was haunted by it his entire life - but he never complained or asked for recognition a day in his life. Truly a humble generation of men.

Noilly Pratt
05-29-2014, 03:22 AM
I've always wondered what veterans feel like coming back and integrating back into the normal world, after going through hell on Earth during a war.

Some of these guys (in any war) did things to survive that they can never talk about again. Coming back to society must be one of the best and worst moments of a soldier's life :(

A good friend of my nephews came back from Afghanistan 3 years ago and basically, yes to all of the above. He would message me whenever he could from there on the proviso that we couldn't talk about anything military. I would say "Good day at the office?" and he'd say no or yes.

When he came back we went to a friend's basement, both got shit-faced and some of it came pouring out of him. What he told me shook me rigid. In addition to coming home, in the period of the 2 years after, he lost both his parents, so I've become his surrogate uncle / father figure and even though he's in his mid 20's I've all but adopted him.

FBD
05-29-2014, 01:02 PM
that's kinda what it was like with my grandfather's wwII stories...he basically never spoke of them, it was *that* bad. I do know he dragged a featherbed halfway across europe and on more than one occasion, it saved his life, waking up with dudes dead next to him from shrapnel that hit in the night.

best friend's gramp had a rather opposite tale flying in a refrigeration unit in the south pacific....his commander would fly, get too drunk to fly, and make him fly the damn plane......or they'd wake up early, take off, and his commander was such a good pilot he'd leave the wheels down and roll them across all the quanset huts where the fellas were sleeping on a flyby. or when out on the ocean if they were bored they'd take one of those 12 foot freon tanks, put it on a piece of angle iron and whack the end off with a monkey wrench and watch that fucker flyyyyyyy out into the ocean :lol: cigs were a scarce commodity so he devised a communication system with teh wife and sent back enough cash to build their first house.

the middle east stuff though...I have more stories like "what the fuck are we parked in the middle of nowhere guarding this oil rig for" than anything else....

Noilly Pratt
05-29-2014, 02:31 PM
My dad was in WW2 but he didn't like to speak of it. "That day is done" he'd say.

He did tell me of being in a convoy on a destroyer in the dead of night. A bunch of U boats sank each boat in turn until only the destroyer he was on was left.

And then...nothing. Years later he found out that on that run, the Germans had run out of torpedoes.

FBD
05-29-2014, 02:40 PM
pffff daaaaamn

Hal-9000
05-29-2014, 05:58 PM
My dad was in WW2 but he didn't like to speak of it. "That day is done" he'd say.

He did tell me of being in a convoy on a destroyer in the dead of night. A bunch of U boats sank each boat in turn until only the destroyer he was on was left.

And then...nothing. Years later he found out that on that run, the Germans had run out of torpedoes.

Guy that worked here told me a story about his Dad...he fought in the battle of Britain and survived his entire flight group (11 other pilots and airmen) They were going on an intended training run at night and some enemy planes approached unexpectedly. There was an exchange and everyone on his plane either died instantly or succumbed afterwards. When he came over to Canada he became a flight mechanic and never flew again.

Acid Trip
05-29-2014, 08:12 PM
My dad never talked about Vietnam. The only thing he'd say about war was "I only killed the enemy to keep my fellow soldiers alive."

Hal-9000
05-29-2014, 10:34 PM
My dad never talked about Vietnam. The only thing he'd say about war was "I only killed the enemy to keep my fellow soldiers alive."

I had a book on Vietnam, short stories written by people that served. Everyone from snipers to nurses working with field units. One story featured a guy who got separated from his unit deep in NVC territory. He was getting surrounded by enemy platoons moving though the jungle at night so he laid down in some brush and 'pretended to be a log.' He said that 6 to 10 NVC set up camp beside him for the night. He laid there from sundown to sunup, not moving and listened to them eat and laugh and smelled their cigarettes. One NVC took a piss and hit his boots...it was one of the most tense things I had ever read.