PDA

View Full Version : Boyfriend 'beat girl, 17, into a coma after she made sarcastic comments over his tangled fishing lines'

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2014, 11:07 AM
By David Mccormack - The Daily Mail

http://i.imgur.com/nesM8fA.jpg

A 17-year-old girl is fighting for her life after being brutally beaten by her boyfriend when he lost his temper because he couldn't untangle a fishing line.

Hannah Connaway of Wilmington, North Carolina, was so badly beaten on Friday night that she had to undergo emergency brain surgery and was put in a medically-induced coma.

Her boyfriend, Michael Hutton appeared in court on Tuesday and has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, kidnapping and drug charges.

According to the assistant district attorney, the couple got into an argument over some texts while at Hutton's parent's house. His parents were out of town, reports WECT6.

Also present was Connaway's friend, Claudene Williams, who said Hutton was angry because of some tangled fishing lines.

‘He was angry because he couldn't untangle fishing lines,’ explained Williams.

‘He was blaming her (Hannah) for some things like having snarky remarks to things he was saying, and then it just escalated and kept on going.’

http://i.imgur.com/yao5RIU.jpg

The fight started inside the home and ended in the front yard. Williams said Hutton had beaten, strangled, and dragged Connaway across the yard.

‘I keep on hearing her screaming and I keep on hearing all the sounds and it's just awful. I ran around the front door. I tried to get in. All the doors were locked. It was just awful,’ Williams said.

When emergency responders arrived on scene they found Connaway unconscious in the front yard.

‘She's bleeding and on the ground. She can't walk,’ a caller told a 911 operator late Friday night. ‘It's her boyfriend, and he's threatening and screaming at us to get back in the car, so I just need someone to be there.’

Connaway was immediately taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center for emergency brain surgery.

Hutton was originally arrested on Saturday night for assault to inflict serious injury and assault on a female charges, but bonded out on Monday.

He was taken back into custody following Tuesday’s court appearance. He is facing life without parole in relation to the attempted murder charge.

He is also facing close to 30 years for felony assault by strangulation and first degree kidnapping, felony assault to inflict serious injury, misdemeanor assault on a female, and a misdemeanor drug charge. His bond was set at $1 million.

Connaway’s condition was upgraded from critical to fair on Wednesday. She has opened her eyes and is communicating with friends and family.

Friends and family had held a candlelight service on Monday night to show their support.

Her grandmother Cynthia Strickland describes Hannah as a brilliant, beautiful, and caring young girl who loved people. She said Hannah was aware of Hutton's mental instabilities.

‘Hannah thought she could save him,’ Strickland said. ‘She thought she could help him.’

The couple had been dating for about two months.

Connaway had been due to go to the University of Hawaii in the fall to further her education.

She will now require extensive medical treatment and friends have launched a GoFundme page to help raise funds for her medical care.

RBP
05-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Yeek. Hope she's okay.

KevinD
05-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Terrible situation.
Where exactly does the kidnapping charge come in though?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Terrible situation.
Where exactly does the kidnapping charge come in though?

Yeah, not sure about that one either, but maybe it's from this?

The fight started inside the home and ended in the front yard. Williams said Hutton had beaten, strangled, and dragged Connaway across the yard.

Maybe they are saying she was trying to get away and he dragged her back towards the house? :dunno:

DemonGeminiX
05-29-2014, 12:50 PM
Fuckin' hell!

KevinD
05-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Dunno. It's a stretch. Found this:

2005 North Carolina Code - General Statutes Article 10 - Kidnapping and Abduction.
Article 10.
Kidnapping and Abduction.
§ 14‑39.� Kidnapping.
(a)������ Any person who shall unlawfully confine, restrain, or remove from one place to another, any other person 16 years of age or over without the consent of such person, or any other person under the age of 16 years without the consent of a parent or legal custodian of such person, shall be guilty of kidnapping if such confinement, restraint or removal is for the purpose of:
(1)������ Holding such other person for a ransom or as a hostage or using such other person as a shield; or
(2)������ Facilitating the commission of any felony or facilitating flight of any person following the commission of a felony; or
(3)������ Doing serious bodily harm to or terrorizing the person so confined, restrained or removed or any other person; or
(4)������ Holding such other person in involuntary servitude in violation of G.S. 14‑43.2.
(b)������ There shall be two degrees of kidnapping as defined by subsection (a). If the person kidnapped either was not released by the defendant in a safe place or had been seriously injured or sexually assaulted, the offense is kidnapping in the first degree and is punishable as a Class C felony. If the person kidnapped was released in a safe place by the defendant and had not been seriously injured or sexually assaulted, the offense is kidnapping in the second degree and is punishable as a Class E felony.

DemonGeminiX
05-29-2014, 12:55 PM
No offense, guys, but I think the kidnapping charge is spot-on when considering the law as written.

KevinD
05-29-2014, 01:00 PM
After reading the NC statutes, it makes more sense.

Hal-9000
05-29-2014, 04:50 PM
I've read that law before. It really is zero tolerance when it comes to confining, or moving someone from one spot to another against their will.

Loser
05-29-2014, 10:58 PM
That one day he bonded out would have been all I needed. ;)

Just saying.