PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii man gets probation for making son walk 1 mile home from school

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2014, 10:45 AM
The Associated Press

LIHUE, Hawaii – A judge sentenced a Hawaii man to one year of probation and a $200 fine for making his son walk a mile home from school as a form of discipline.

Judge Kathleen Watanabe called the punishment "old-school" and no longer appropriate, the Garden Island newspaper reported Thursday.

Robert Demond of Kilauea said he picked up his son from school and asked about a matter that had been brought to his attention. When the son didn't respond, Demond made him walk home to think about his actions.

The age of the boy is unclear. Demond's attorney and a prosecutor didn't immediately respond to a request seeking comment from The Associated Press.

Demond was also ordered to attend a parenting class after being convicted of endangering the welfare of a minor, a misdemeanor. Demond pleaded no contest and said he would handle the situation differently now after the case went through two courts.

Demond told Watanabe in court on Wednesday that he didn't think the punishment was morally wrong or criminal. He said it was a common form of punishment when he was growing up.

Watanabe said times are different today, given child predators and traffic.

Demond's attorney Margaret Hanson argued Demond had no criminal history and isn't a risk to the community.

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Gary Nelson said the punishment was inappropriate but Demond did it to teach his son a lesson, not out of anger.

Griffin
05-30-2014, 10:59 AM
I had to walk twice that distance every day to and from school hot rainy or blizzard.

...and it was uphill both directions!

Lambchop
05-30-2014, 11:11 AM
How old was the kid?

redred
05-30-2014, 12:27 PM
I walk with my kid to and from school daily and thats just under a mile , its not punishment its how she gets to school

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2014, 12:31 PM
I walk with my kid to and from school daily and thats just under a mile , its not punishment its how she gets to school

When I was in middle school, there was no bus service if you lived within a 3/4 mile of the school, so I walked to and from school every day in grades 4, 5, and 6...my walk was just over a 1/2 mile each way.

Lambchop
05-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Oh I thought the article suggested he made the kid walk alone because it talks about child predators etc.

FBD
05-30-2014, 01:01 PM
I just shake my head.

RBP
05-30-2014, 01:25 PM
How ridiculous. Like many of you I walked to school. And the whole "stranger danger" thing has been proven a worthless folly. Ugh.

perrhaps
05-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Am I going to get put on probation for walking my dog a mile-and-a-half twice a day?

Acid Trip
05-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Am I going to get put on probation for walking my dog a mile-and-a-half twice a day?

Hell no, it's straight to jail for you!

perrhaps
05-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Hell no, it's straight to jail for you!

Does that mean I'm going to end up in one of those involuntary same-sex mixed-marriages?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Does that mean I'm going to end up in one of those involuntary same-sex mixed-marriages?

http://i.imgur.com/o0WVtWj.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
05-30-2014, 05:52 PM
WTF, my son walks or rides a skateboard almost a mile each way. Nothing wrong with a little exercise. And its not even a punishment, its life. Fucking little bitches

redred
05-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Bad dad making him do that :lol: