PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Parents Push For Halal Options to be Added to School Lunches

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2014, 11:42 AM
By Lina Batarags - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/sUwMqt1.jpg

SAN DIEGO – Although many schools provide free lunches for students in low-income families, many of these lunches do not accommodate the dietary restrictions imposed by different religions.

This has been particularly problematic for Muslim children, hundreds of whom have reportedly been coming home from school hungry because their schools do not offer halal foods.

“Basically, halal food is a type of meat that has been slaughtered religiously,” explained Nezar Ilaian of Mid East Market. “So we don’t process it and we don’t repackage it.”

Although this food is organic and healthier, it is not offered in many poorer communities, where families depend on free school lunches to feed their children.

“That’s a major concern,” said Somali immigrant Bilal Muya, who, along with his three children, is Muslim.

Muya heads a group called the Food Justice Momentum Team; the group has already met with the San Diego Unified School District about enacting changes to the menu at public schools.

In particular, the group is focusing on the City Heights area, which has a large concentration of Muslim students.

SD Unified already spends $16 million a year to provide 22 million meals for students. Halal meat, however, is pricey and often hard to come by; adding a halal menu to school lunches could mean adding considerable costs to their budget.

“The market for [halal meat] in San Diego alone is already kind restrictive,” said Ilaian.

Notably, pork is never halal. Eliminating pork from all students’ diets, argue the owners of the Mid East Market, would benefit all students.

“Christians, Jews alike. They all agree that pork in general is a very unhealthy product,” noted Ilaian.

Muya added that altering students’ diets in such a way will “make those kids perform well in school and be happy.”

Muya stated that in addition to adding halal options to the menu, the group seeks to add more protein, as well as food bought from local farmers.

He added that although upfront costs might be higher, if you feed a child lower quality food “and then they end up getting sick, it’s going to cost later.”

Muya noted that school districts in Michigan have already made the switch.

Lambchop
05-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Nah, just pack your kid a halal lunch if that's what you want. Your religion, your restrictions, your problem Mo'

FBD
05-30-2014, 12:55 PM
slaughtered religiously? oh, you mean its throat slit. right. that makes it healthier.

DemonGeminiX
05-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Halal options? You mean like... PORK?

perrhaps
05-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Scrape together a few dinars, and send 'em to Al-Qaieda Prep.

redred
05-30-2014, 03:27 PM
i believe Halal is a common option in english schools , not really sure i have that much of an opinion on it a dead roast chicken is a dead roast chicken to me :shrug:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2014, 03:33 PM
i believe Halal is a common option in english schools , not really sure i have that much of an opinion on it a dead roast chicken is a dead roast chicken to me :shrug:

But dead Halal roast chicken is 3 or 4 times as much as regular dead roast chicken and the Muslims fuckers want it added to the free lunch program. You have a special diet, bring your own goddamn food.

Acid Trip
05-30-2014, 03:44 PM
It's fucking insulting that they are complaining about what food FREE LUNCHES contain.

Want them to eat something else? Pay for it.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Fucking degenerates

Teh One Who Knocks
05-30-2014, 04:52 PM
It's fucking insulting that they are complaining about what food FREE LUNCHES contain.

Want them to eat something else? Pay for it.

But that's what happens in this entitlement society we keep breeding. First, working for a living is too hard. Then, getting stuff for free on the backs of the working taxpayers isn't enough. Now they have to complain that what they are getting for free at the expense of others isn't good enough, they want even more.

FBD
05-30-2014, 05:00 PM
the worst part about this is I saw a video a long time ago of a imam "teaching" and explaining halal to these fkn kids....so he says its pretty simple to slaughter in the halal way, he picks up a rabbit, slits its throat, and basically casually tosses the thing to the side and says that's about all there is to halal slaughter. :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
05-30-2014, 05:06 PM
the worst part about this is I saw a video a long time ago of a imam "teaching" and explaining halal to these fkn kids....so he says its pretty simple to slaughter in the halal way, he picks up a rabbit, slits its throat, and basically casually tosses the thing to the side and says that's about all there is to halal slaughter. :facepalm:

That story should make Hal smile.

perrhaps
05-30-2014, 05:28 PM
But that's what happens in this entitlement society we keep breeding. First, working for a living is too hard. Then, getting stuff for free on the backs of the working taxpayers isn't enough. Now they have to complain that what they are getting for free at the expense of others isn't good enough, they want even more.

"Designer freebies" is the term I prefer.