PDA

View Full Version : Hero send off for 'forgotten' World War Two pilot as hundreds of mourners pay respects

Teh One Who Knocks
06-02-2014, 11:56 AM
By: Geoff Maynard - Express News

http://i.imgur.com/K8qlnG5.jpg

A national appeal was launched to give George Thompson a hero’s send-off after he died, aged 96, with no family and few friends.

The RAF campaign went viral, bringing well-wishers from across the globe to Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium, in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, yesterday.

Wally Walsh, 72, from Australia, said: “We had come over on *holiday and were staying in Berkshire. We saw the appeal for *people to come in the news and my wife and I decided we would pay our respects. It’s fabulous to see so many people gathered today.”

Servicemen saluted George to the sound of bagpipes as his *coffin was carried up to the chapel. It was packed with servicemen, war veterans and members of the emergency services.

Civil Funeral Celebrant David Hayes thanked them for the “phenomenal” attendance and read memories of George’s life. He joined the RAF in April 1942 and took the controls of a bomber after just 17 days.

When senior officers learnt of his excellent night vision, he was sent to fly Mosquitos in the skies over Burma until VJ Day in 1945.

George was demobbed as a Warrant Officer in 1946.

Mr Hayes read the poem High Flight, by John Magee, before recalling the close love between George and his wife Millie, who died in 2004 after 56 years of marriage. He then read Flying West, by poet Michael J. Larkin.

One of George’s only remaining friends, Joan Hunter, made a brief speech. She said: “I would like to thank all of you individually – I am overwhelmed.”

A young serviceman played a final salute on the trumpet as the curtains closed around the coffin, bearing George’s service hat, a photo of him and a Union Flag.

We’ll Meet Again, by Vera Lynn, was played as mourners filed out.

Mr Hayes said: “It was an incredible achievement that so many people came to pay tribute to an amazing man. I am so pleased we gave George the send-off he clearly deserved.”