PDA

View Full Version : School District To Allow Teachers To Give Condoms To Sixth-Grade Students

Teh One Who Knocks
06-02-2014, 12:19 PM
CBS Seattle

http://i.imgur.com/lz0S2cb.jpg

GERVAIS, Ore. (CBS Seattle) — An Oregon school district will allow teachers to hand out condoms to sixth-grade students in the fall.

Students in grades sixth through 12 in the Gervais School District will be allowed condoms if they ask a teacher.

The plan to dole out condoms to students came after a study from the Oregon Health and Science University last year that found that 7 percent of girls at Gervais High School got pregnant. This year alone nine girls in the school district got pregnant.

“If they wanted a condom, they would have to meet with a teacher — a designated teacher, the sex ed teacher, or some of our counselors and maybe some administrators. So there would be designated people for students to have a conversation with and then a condom would be distributed at that time,” Gervais School District Superintendent Rick Hensel explained to CBS News.

Hensel told CBS News that sixth-graders were included due to logistics.

“I think the concern was that if we have our middle school, we have some of the same teachers teaching the same topics at the high school, obviously there’s going to be a different type of curriculum for the middle school, but at some point they just kind of felt it would evolve to that anyway — so let’s just include them,” Hensel said to CBS News.

Gervais School Board Member Molly McCargar agreed with the decision.

“It is great for parents. I’m a parent of four girls. The conversations have started and they will continue,” McCargar told KOIN-TV. “Unfortunately not all of our kids have that support at home.”

Some parents, though, are not fond of the new policy.

“I just disagree with it,” Kim Hults told KOIN. “I don’t think elementary kids should be around it.”

The school district is still considering whether to notify parents if their kids ask for condoms from teachers.

deebakes
06-02-2014, 11:37 PM
:doggybanana: