WTF, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3liA1GLKbW4

deebakes
06-07-2014, 12:29 PM
you can buy it in bags here in minnesota too :shrug:

FBD
06-07-2014, 01:11 PM
:hand: then they're already gotten to you, havent they

are all canadiens this annoying? I want to smack this fuggin guy.

RBP
06-07-2014, 02:17 PM
you can buy it in bags here in minnesota too :shrug:

Minnesota pickup line: "Want a drink from my milk sack, baby?"

deebakes
06-07-2014, 03:01 PM
granted, i don't actually buy the bags, it's just an option :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2014, 04:54 PM
:hand:

It is obligatory to end every statement in this thread with 'eh', eh.

Hal's gonna curse me out, eh.

:lol:

Hal-9000
06-07-2014, 05:27 PM
:lol:

They haven't sold bags up here for years...we buy big honkin 4 liter jugs :tup:

http://i.imgur.com/VS8bPyr.jpg

:oops: wrong jugs....

I just got in from shopping about 20 minutes ago

http://i.imgur.com/5EbRTSX.jpg

for perspective

http://i.imgur.com/0w78shI.jpg

Loser
06-07-2014, 05:55 PM
That's a gallon hal...:facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Canada uses the metric system. They don't use gallons.

Hal-9000
06-07-2014, 06:01 PM
That's a gallon hal...:facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

don't be a douchebag...look at the bottom right

"4L"

that means 4 liters in Canadian....here, I'll go slow and make it easy for you....FORE... LEETERS :lol:

Hal-9000
06-07-2014, 06:08 PM
4 liters :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/nWFwQku.jpg

Hal-9000
06-07-2014, 06:09 PM
or to convert to American, approximately one gallon :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/M5IXwkY.jpg

Hal-9000
06-07-2014, 06:19 PM
the guy was off on a few things...we don't put the U in those words....we say chocolate bar, Americans say candy bar...we don't apologize constantly...we don't say a-boot...

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2014, 07:24 PM
the guy was off on a few things...we don't put the U in those words....we say chocolate bar, Americans say candy bar...we don't apologize constantly...we don't say a-boot...

The U: I don't see enough Canadians typing junk out to make a determination, but if he says there are, then I'd be willing to bet that a cross section of the population local to his area does it. If he's from a part of Canada you've never been to, and you're saying nobody in Canada does it, that would be like a guy from California that has never been to the South telling foreigners that Americans don't say "y'all" after I've uploaded a video stating that people in America do say "y'all". I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just pointing out that the possibility exists.

And I know that at least some of you do say aboot and oot:

I've met an older couple from Edmonton that said oot. They actually had a more refined Strange Brew accent, if you can imagine that. I can't really explain it. Very nice people though. They stopped to talk to me out of everybody else in the bar we were all at because I was wearing a Philadelphia Flyers hat. Go figure. They were stopping over on the way to Orlando, Florida. I've noticed the oot and aboot come out of them.

Also I've noticed some of the contracted employees Mike Holmes uses in his shows say oot and aboot. There were also a few guys on Food Jammers that said oot and aboot too.

And yes, I do recall having heard your lovely speaking voice on your recordings and have noticed that you don't say oot and aboot. The only explanation I can come up with is that you're not truly Canadian... you're an alien, Hal.

Lambchop
06-07-2014, 07:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0w78shI.jpg

Sheikh Hal Abdul Mohammad, where did you get that prayer rug? I didn't realise they came in Saudi Arabia-green :halal handshake:

Hal-9000
06-07-2014, 07:54 PM
The U: I don't see enough Canadians typing junk out to make a determination, but if he says there are, then I'd be willing to bet that a cross section of the population local to his area does it. If he's from a part of Canada you've never been to, and you're saying nobody in Canada does it, that would be like a guy from California that has never been to the South telling foreigners that Americans don't say "y'all" after I've uploaded a video stating that people in America do say "y'all". I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just pointing out that the possibility exists.

And I know that at least some of you do say aboot and oot:

I've met an older couple from Edmonton that said oot. They actually had a more refined Strange Brew accent, if you can imagine that. I can't really explain it. Very nice people though. They stopped to talk to me out of everybody else in the bar we were all at because I was wearing a Philadelphia Flyers hat. Go figure. They were stopping over on the way to Orlando, Florida. I've noticed the oot and aboot come out of them.

Also I've noticed some of the contracted employees Mike Holmes uses in his shows say oot and aboot. There were also a few guys on Food Jammers that said oot and aboot too.

And yes, I do recall having heard your lovely speaking voice on your recordings and have noticed that you don't say oot and aboot. The only explanation I can come up with is that you're not truly Canadian... you're an alien, Hal.

Been here for a long time....and visited sea to shining sea. Listen to me now....the only province that has any discernible accent (other than the French :meh: ) is Newfoundland. They butcher our language in ways other Canadians do not.

People from Edmonton talk exactly the same way I do, they are only 180 miles north ffs :lol: The folks you met were unusual.

Regarding the U thing, I use Firefox and Google.ca.

http://i.imgur.com/uf9nlre.jpg

Notice the red squiggly lines? This happens to every Canadian using FF and Google, it's not limited to my locality :lol:

:) thx

Hal-9000
06-07-2014, 08:08 PM
The people in our maritime provinces have an accent...I want to say similar to people in Maine or North Dakota (think Fargo TV show), but different. Most sentences are almost like a question with an uplift at the end - ya felt that cold last night eh? (or ayuh or yeah). Newfies have the absolute strongest accent in the country.

I's the buy that builds the boat, I's the buy that sails 'er.....
(I am the boy that builds the boat, I'm the boy that sails her)

hey buy, set that ting right, it's a lil squish don't ya know :)

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm not telling you what happens in your country. I'm telling you that if a Canadian guy in a video is saying that it happens, then I have to consider that it is a possibility. He might be from a separate colony of idiots in Newfoundland... I don't know. But he's one counterexample to your assertion. There might be others.

I'm aware that Edmonton is closer to you than Atlanta is to me, and again, I'm not trying to tell you about your country. I'm just telling you what I've seen and experienced. I've seen counterexamples to your assertions. One of the counterexamples claimed to be from Edmonton, Alberta. They might be a part of a very small minority, but they did exist.

Again, not trying to piss you off, just relaying information of my experiences.

I love you, Hal.

This girl says what I characterize as 'aboot', but after really listening, it sounds like she's really saying 'ow-oot'. Like about is pronounced 'a-bow-oot' but the trailing 'oot' flows naturally and is very subdued. That's what I've heard out of the Canadians that I've heard speak. Her accent is strong and I don't imagine that she's the majority. I find the way she's speaking to be very sweet and endearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuKBiAjfYYE

Noilly Pratt
06-08-2014, 01:27 AM
My experience as a Canadian is similar to Hal's. And that girl has it right.

I've lived in every province west of Quebec for at least 6 months each. But I was brought up by 2 parents who emigrated from England in the mid 50's. So that influences some of my pronunciations.

I was visiting a friend at NC State and he had a linguistics professor who prided himself on placing where people were in N America. He couldn't place me because I had East coast and West coast inflections in my speech, so he said...and I had unusual emphasis on certain syllables (guess that's the British bit). He surmised that I lived in Ontario as a kid but moved to California. Close, but not quite.

As for the bagged milk...I do remember it for a brief moment in the 70s as a kid when I was in Ontario, but when we moved West I never saw it again. My Mom liked it because it took up less space in the fridge.

And, like Hal, I have a 4L jug in the fridge. and if you buy a 1L its in a carton, but you can get the 2L in either a larger carton or a jug, but the jug costs a little more.

Here's whats weird. In Save-On-Foods -- our big local chain here, you get one type of milk - Dairyland. In Safeway (the other big chain) you get the choice of 2 (Lucerne and Dairyland) and Lucerne is more expensive.:shrug:

Loser
06-08-2014, 03:58 AM
Canada uses the metric system. They don't use gallons.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

don't be a douchebag...look at the bottom right

"4L"

that means 4 liters in Canadian....here, I'll go slow and make it easy for you....FORE... LEETERS :lol:

Am I the only asshole that knows 3.79 liters is 1 gallon? :-k

I'm beginning to think so. :shrug:

Goofy
06-08-2014, 08:14 AM

You have strange gallons, 4.5L to a gallon over here :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Wow, this guy sounds really pissed off about it. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3U_l_mInA

FBD
06-08-2014, 02:47 PM
The people in our maritime provinces have an accent...I want to say similar to people in Maine or North Dakota (think Fargo TV show),

:lol: I'll give ya that a maine accent is just to the north dakota side of bahston....but just ever so slightly...compare em side by side and ~ND is pretty well different

Hal-9000
06-08-2014, 03:47 PM

Your post seemed contradictory along with your facepalm, like you were trying to tell me something...yes I know how many liters in a gallon etc

How do you think I feel. We were taught Imperial until I was in grade 7...feet, miles, gallons....and then a teacher walked in and said - Guess what kids? We're going to change EVERYTHING you know!

Even now when someone says - It's only 112 kilometers from here, my mind thinks first in miles, then converts to kms...
when the weather guy says - we're going to have 15 centimeters of snow tonight, I think in inches...and for volume someone says - this thing holds 20 liters...I have to go backwards from that back to pints, quart, gallons..

I hate it :lol:

sorry aboot that eh

Hal-9000
06-08-2014, 03:49 PM
You have strange gallons, 4.5L to a gallon over here :lol:

that's another thing...Imperial gallons to US gallons

:x ffs pick one because we're caught in the middle!!!!

I think the conversion is something like 1 to 1.25, meaning the Imp gallon is bigger...

Hal-9000
06-08-2014, 04:07 PM
A while back Lance posted a graphic displaying Canadian terms that we use and it was about 90% right :lol:

We think the terms are normal, but I guess they're not common for others

Pony
06-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Lies. We all know you talk just like that. Steriotypes are always accurate! Just like all Americans run around with guns just praying for the opportunity to shoot a motherfucker.

:nana:

Noilly Pratt
06-08-2014, 07:36 PM
How do you think I feel. We were taught Imperial until I was in grade 7...feet, miles, gallons....and then a teacher walked in and said - Guess what kids? We're going to change EVERYTHING you know!

Even now when someone says - It's only 112 kilometers from here, my mind thinks first in miles, then converts to kms...
when the weather guy says - we're going to have 15 centimeters of snow tonight, I think in inches...and for volume someone says - this thing holds 20 liters...I have to go backwards from that back to pints, quart, gallons..

I hate it :lol:

sorry aboot that eh

I remember that in Elementary school. I think in kilometers with cars because they had this catchy campaign in my province:

Picture this with a marimba band...20 is your 30, 30 is your 50, 50 is your 80... I remember putting on some stickers on the speedo of the family Malibu that indicated the Kms.

But, I can't wrap my head around Kilometers per litre...I still think Miles per Gallon. And Imperial Gallon, not the U.S. one. Wonder why that's different?

And our world is still halfway there...I was measuring my deck in centimeters and they were looking at me as if I was from Neptune. I didn't know all the little divisions between the inches. Still don't. I'm fully converted with temperature...as I think it makes sense to have 0 as the freezing point. And I love that at about 30 below it all becomes the same.

And when I went to England, in the last 10 years they went to Celsius...amazing. Thought they'd never change that.

Loser
06-09-2014, 12:04 AM
I won't lie, I never understood why the US is on the imperial system. When I got a little older I learned metric conversions just for shits and giggles.

Hal-9000
06-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I remember that in Elementary school. I think in kilometers with cars because they had this catchy campaign in my province:

Picture this with a marimba band...20 is your 30, 30 is your 50, 50 is your 80... I remember putting on some stickers on the speedo of the family Malibu that indicated the Kms.

But, I can't wrap my head around Kilometers per litre...I still think Miles per Gallon. And Imperial Gallon, not the U.S. one. Wonder why that's different?

And our world is still halfway there...I was measuring my deck in centimeters and they were looking at me as if I was from Neptune. I didn't know all the little divisions between the inches. Still don't. I'm fully converted with temperature...as I think it makes sense to have 0 as the freezing point. And I love that at about 30 below it all becomes the same.

And when I went to England, in the last 10 years they went to Celsius...amazing. Thought they'd never change that.

In my province 50 kph is the standard speed in the city when a limit is not posted. My mind still flashes back to the early days of the metric conversion when people (and me) were telling cops - But, but...it said 50 so I was doing 50!!! :confused:

50 kph = 30 mph
50 mph = 80 kph :lol:

Hal-9000
06-09-2014, 05:05 PM
:lol: I'll give ya that a maine accent is just to the north dakota side of bahston....but just ever so slightly...compare em side by side and ~ND is pretty well different

Thick Boston accents make me laugh :lol:

I do love accents from all over the world...maybe it's because I don't have one :sad2:

DemonGeminiX
06-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Hal, you have what I consider a radio announcer voice. Your voice booms and you speak very clearly. I remember hearing your voice recording for the first time. I thought, "Man, this guy really should consider going into radio or doing voice-over work or something".

Muddy
06-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Thick Boston accents make me laugh :lol:

I do love accents from all over the world...maybe it's because I don't have one :sad2:

They are horrible.. New Yorkers are the worst though.. Cocky and mean..

Hugh_Janus
06-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Lies. We all know you talk just like that. Steriotypes are always accurate! Just like all Americans waddle around with guns just praying for the opportunity to shoot a motherfucker.

:nana:

FTFY :dance:

Hugh_Janus
06-09-2014, 10:16 PM
People from Edmonton talk exactly the same way I do, they are only 180 miles north ffs :lol: The folks you met were unusual.

man.... people 180 miles away from me almost speak a different language :lol:

Muddy
06-09-2014, 10:19 PM
FTFY :dance:

one time in Reno...

Hal-9000
06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Hal, you have what I consider a radio announcer voice. Your voice booms and you speak very clearly. I remember hearing your voice recording for the first time. I thought, "Man, this guy really should consider going into radio or doing voice-over work or something".

:hug:

you should hear my Casey Kasem top 40 voice :dance:

Muddy
06-10-2014, 05:19 PM
:hug:

you should hear my Casey Kasem top 40 voice :dance:

Isn't he missing?

DemonGeminiX
06-10-2014, 08:35 PM
No, they found him. He apparently isn't doing too hot though. Oofty might be getting some points before the end of the year.

Hal-9000
06-10-2014, 08:58 PM
he's got Parkinsons or similar....and just by reading the story there's some bad blood between the stepkids and Jean Casem...I think something is up with his disappearance and Jean was behind it

what show did she play on....tall, ditzy blonde?

Hal-9000
06-10-2014, 09:00 PM
pardon me...Jean Kasem

she played Nick Tortelli's wife on Cheers....Nick was Carla's ex on the show