PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana playing larger role in fatal crashes

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Matt Schmitz and Chris Woodyard, Cars.com and USA TODAY

http://i.imgur.com/4Y6s7X1.jpg

As more states are poised to legalize medicinal marijuana, it's looking like dope is playing a larger role as a cause of fatal traffic accidents.

Columbia University researchers performing a toxicology examination of nearly 24,000 driving fatalities concluded that marijuana contributed to 12% of traffic deaths in 2010, tripled from a decade earlier.

NHTSA studies have found drugged driving to be particularly prevalent among younger motorists. One in eight high school seniors responding to a 2010 survey admitted to driving after smoking marijuana. Nearly a quarter of drivers killed in drug-related car crashes were younger than 25. Likewise, nearly half of fatally injured drivers who tested positive for marijuana were younger than 25.

A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study found that 4% of drivers were high during the day and more than 6% at night, and that nighttime figure more than doubled on weekends.

Colorado has seen a spike in driving fatalities in which marijuana alone was involved, according to Insurance.com. The trend started in 2009 — the year medical marijuana dispensaries were effectively legalized at the state level.

NHTSA and the National Institute on Drug Abuse are now in the final months of a three-year, half-million-dollar cooperative study to determine the impact of inhaled marijuana on driving performance. Tests observe participants who ingest a low dose of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, a high dose and a placebo to assess the effects on performance, decision-making, motor control, risk-taking behavior and divided-attention tasks.

The study is being performed using what NHTSA calls "the world's most advanced driving simulator," the University of Iowa's National Advanced Driving Simulator, which was previously used to study the effects of alcohol on driving.

Goofy
06-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Stupidity kills, not marijuana. If you're stupid enough to drive after taking any mind-altering drug, whether it's hash, alcohol or whatever, then you take what you get!

FBD
06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
:hand: we all know how long mj stays in your system, so get this bullshit analysis outta here

Acid Trip
06-10-2014, 01:09 PM
:hand: we all know how long mj stays in your system, so get this bullshit analysis outta here

:qft:

DemonGeminiX
06-10-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised anyone smoking MJ would have the motivation to press the accelerator beyond the 10 mph mark.

FBD
06-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Driving high was the only thing that cured the need for speed, honestly. Once I started toking regularly, the amount of traffic tickets I received went to zero (one ticket tossed in last ~15 years,) my insurance got cheaper, I used less gas from not having the pedal on the floor constantly...I drive about the speed limit around town...travel is no longer viewed as a necessary evil to be dispensed with as quickly as possible...

...you can imagine how it was when I had a sportbike...I used to get out on the highway and do 150 or 160 just to blow off some steam.

:shrug:

Hal-9000
06-10-2014, 10:41 PM
being stoned makes those red brake lights, red intersection lights and red stop signs effin HUGE! :lol:

seriously...of course there's going to accidents. Weed, coke, booze, whatever...all of it fucks up/alters your reactions. Otherwise, no one would be doing it :tup:

I'm more calm driving stoned and tend to let the bastards off more easily who commit horrible driving moves...when I'm straight, it's a different story :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-10-2014, 11:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6gLrnJxS8c

Loser
06-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Stupidity kills, not marijuana. If you're stupid enough to drive after taking any mind-altering drug, whether it's hash, alcohol or whatever, then you take what you get!

Yea, but when someone shoots someone else, it's the guns fault... :facepalm:

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you or anyone else goofy. Just me being in a sarcastic ass kind of mood :lol:

Muddy
06-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Driving under the influence of any drug will increase your chances for an accident. No news shocker here.

Goofy
06-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Yea, but when someone shoots someone else, it's the guns fault... :facepalm:

I don't recall ever shooting someone with a doobie before :-k

FBD
06-11-2014, 02:06 PM
I shot motherfuckin Phil Anselmo with a doobie once :dance:

Hal-9000
06-11-2014, 02:52 PM
I don't recall ever shooting someone with a doobie before :-k

I've just about killed someone with a doobie before :lol: Annoying drunk people that need to shut the fuck up...I roll a HUGE joint to equalize