PDA

View Full Version : It's time (to change jobs)

Acid Trip
06-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I think it's time for me to move on from banking. The bank culture is constantly getting worse (how can we squeeze more money out of the same people) so I think I'll go back to computers.

I sent my resume out yesterday and I already got a call from USAA and RackSpace. Neither job will pay as much as I currently make but my sanity and happiness are more important than money. It would also take us back home (San Antonio). I'm flying down for interviews next week and that will decide a lot. Yes, I know USAA is a bank but their IT department is one of the best in the world.

My wife fully supports the decision which makes this even easier. Hopefully I'll have some good news soon! :D

redred
06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Good luck

Hal-9000
06-11-2014, 04:27 PM
can I have a loan if you get the new job? :-s

good luck AT

KevinD
06-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Back to San Antonio? What area? You may be shocked at how it's grown, depending on when you left. There's a tremendous amount of Oil Field work there, along with support jobs. My in-laws live in Cibolo/Shertz area, and I'm there several times a year. Any way. Hope it's a positive change for you and yours!

FBD
06-11-2014, 05:53 PM
good luck at!

Noilly Pratt
06-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Could you not do computer support in the banking industry? Or is it morally reprehensible to you?

A friend used to work at a credit union as the support tech...he now does that and more at a sawmill. Before he left, he got his mortgage -- at an employee discount. :)

Good Luck.

DemonGeminiX
06-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Good luck, man. :thumbsup:

Acid Trip
06-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Back to San Antonio? What area? You may be shocked at how it's grown, depending on when you left. There's a tremendous amount of Oil Field work there, along with support jobs. My in-laws live in Cibolo/Shertz area, and I'm there several times a year. Any way. Hope it's a positive change for you and yours!

I graduated high school in Schertz. I'm going to avoid 281 N of 1604 like the plague. I have in-laws there and the rush hour traffic is BRUTAL.

I don't know if we'll go NW or NE side of town yet. It really depends on where we decide to work.

Acid Trip
06-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Could you not do computer support in the banking industry? Or is it morally reprehensible to you?

A friend used to work at a credit union as the support tech...he now does that and more at a sawmill. Before he left, he got his mortgage -- at an employee discount. :)

Good Luck.

The direction my bank is going is morally reprehensible to me (as are most banks). Besides, I'm already the boss of the IT department. The VP of Technology works for me. They moved IT under Operations when I came on board because of my computer background.

Before the CFO was over IT and that was no bueno. He never wanted to spend any money.

RBP
06-12-2014, 01:43 AM
Best of luck, AT!

deebakes
06-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Best of luck, AT!

it's scary, because that is EXACTLY what i was going to post :shock:

fingers crossed for you AT :tup:

Godfather
06-12-2014, 02:46 AM
Good luck bud! I have a few friends who left banking for the same reasons you said. My dad has been in it for 35 years and while it's provided well for his family, he's so exhausted and sick of it and all the bullshit changes the past few years (but 8-months from full pension :lol:)

Hope something that's a better fit comes along soon!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Best of luck AT, changing jobs is always a big decision and not always the easiest to make.

Acid Trip
06-23-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm back from San Antonio and I'm accepting one of the job offers today. It's not the job I thought I was going to take but it will be the best for me and the family. We'll be moving Mid-July and I'll start the following week.

The only downside is that I'm going from one hated profession to another. Instead of being a banker I'll be the head IT guy for a law firm. Guess I'll have to give up telling lawyer jokes...for now.

MrsM
06-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Congrats on the new position. Head of IT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Congratz and best of luck AT :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Good luck, AT.

:thumbsup:

Hal-9000
06-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Good luck AT...baby, new job, move....you won't have any time for Skyrim :lol:

Hal-9000
06-23-2014, 08:56 PM
or watching any Buffy reruns feat ruing the lovely and talented Alyson Hannigan

Godfather
06-24-2014, 01:48 AM
I'm back from San Antonio and I'm accepting one of the job offers today. It's not the job I thought I was going to take but it will be the best for me and the family. We'll be moving Mid-July and I'll start the following week.

The only downside is that I'm going from one hated profession to another. Instead of being a banker I'll be the head IT guy for a law firm. Guess I'll have to give up telling lawyer jokes...for now.

We have both at our company and the IT guys are by far more spiteful towards the rest of us :lol:

That's awesome man, congrats on the new job and good luck!!

Muddy
06-24-2014, 02:46 AM
We dont hate IT guys AT, just lawyers! :lol:

Hal-9000
06-25-2014, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfKL6RM8hsY

Noilly Pratt
06-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Go be a good, benevolent computer dictator!

Hal-9000
06-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Nick Burns used to make me howl :lol: