PDA

View Full Version : Comcast to turn your home into WiFi hotspot

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Whitney Wild - 9 News Colorado

http://i.imgur.com/NJFdlPb.jpg

DENVER - Thousands of cable internet customers in Colorado will soon be helping Comcast provide wireless internet to the public - whether they know it or not.

Comcast is turning people's home internet connection into public WiFi hotspots.

The company says it's already done so with one million customers and counting. Comcast said Monday that it will install more neighborhood Wi-Fi hotspots in its service markets to encourage Internet customers to stay connected on their handheld devices even when they're not at home.

Comcast said the service will be available in the Denver metro area "very soon."

The new program from the cable giant aims to let other users log onto WiFi using the signal from your Comcast router. It means adding a second, public signal to the private one you use at home. So anyone from your babysitter to a total stranger can register their device and hop online if they're nearby.

Comcast said its free for its cable service customers. Those who aren't Comcast customers can use it for free twice a month, an hour at a time.

"WiFi is an important part of our strategy to be the place where customers connect all devices, anywhere and at any time," said Tom Nagel, Comcast Cable's senior vice president of business development.

9news spoke with Jefferson Graham, a tech columnist for USA Today. For him, the concept raises more questions than answers over privacy.

"By making so many WiFi signals out there more available, of course it's making it available to hackers, although of course Comcast would say no it's not," Graham said.

It's a fear echoed by University of Denver law professor John Soma. After studying privacy law for more than three decades, Soma says security is rarely certain.

"I'm very confident that at least a middle schooler or high school kid somewhere in the world will be able to [hack into your router]," Soma said.

Comcast said that the company has several layers of security in place in addition to free privacy programs. A spokesman suggested a strong password. They insist the system is secure.

Can you really opt out?

Comcast says you can opt out by calling 1-800-XFINITY. Or you can visit visit My Account at http://customer.comcast.com/, click on "Users & Preferences", and then select "Manage XFINITY WiFi."

When a 9NEWS employee with Comcast service followed the online opt-out instructions, they led to a page that touted the benefits of the public hotspot idea but didn't offer any way to opt out.

The 9NEWS employee then tried Comcast's second opt-out method, by phone. After 42 minutes on the phone with various customer service representatives, we were told it's impossible to opt out.

"We are not able to disable that because it's free for all the customers in your area," said customer service representative "April," who said she works at a call center in the Philippines.

Told that Comcast spokespeople were promising customers the ability to opt-out, the customer service representative wouldn't budge.

"This is the third time I'm explaining it," the Comcast rep said. "The WiFi hotspot from Comcast is open to all customers. We are not able to disable that."

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the cost?
Comcast says there is no additional cost for the second, public signal.

Will the program affect my internet speed?
Because the private signal is separate from the public signal, Comcast says there will not be any impact on WiFi speed.

How can I opt out?
Comcast says the opt-out feature is available on the webpage here: http://customer.comcast.com/. Comcast also says customers can opt out over the phone.

Is it secure?
Comcast says the system is secure, as the signals are separated and locked. Each user will have to register a device when attempting to use a public signal via home Comcast router. 9News spoke with a technology industry reporter and a University of Denver lawyer - both raised security concerns. Our tech analyst pointed out that with more signals, there is more opportunity for hacking. The lawyer explained that security is rarely certain, and the opportunity to penetrate safeguards is ever present.

Who can use my secondary public signal?
Comcast customers will have unlimited access to the public signal. Non-Comcast users will be able to use the service for up to two hours per month and have the option to buy additional time.

What is the benefit?
Comcast says more wireless signals means customers will rely less on cellular data, eventually lowering bills. The company says the hope is to expand the home user experience to more public areas.

If someone uses your router for something illegal, will it come back to you?
Comcast says no. Each user has to register a device, and Comcast users will have to input their subscription information. The information accessed through WiFi will be traced back to individual devices and subscriptions.

Does this use current hardware or will they have to install a new router for it to work?
This program uses the XfinityWifi Wireless Gateway already in place.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2014, 10:34 AM
They're right, I just logged into my account to where it says to 'manage WiFi' and there is no way to opt out, in fact there isn't anything there except to say this program is a good thing :wha:

I don't use the WiFi in my router. I use a separate router, not sure if it's even a wireless gateway router, I'll have to check when I get home.

Pony
06-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Seeing as the router is the first line of defense against hackers, I think leaving that door wide open is a huge security hole. If Comcast wants free wifi for all they can install their own hotspots on the utility poles.

RBP
06-13-2014, 11:53 AM
So they are using the equipment they charge customers for to provide public access. I fucking hate Comcast. And there Customer Service sucks bad.

I may switch again.

FBD
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
put the damned modem in a faraday cage and swamp out any signal that might get to it.

and I call bullshit on them saying oh this PUBLIC signal is somehow separate from your PRIVATE signal....who they fuck do they think they are kidding?

millions of not in the know subscribers...

fuggin false advertising, someone should be suing them. two wifi spots running through one pipe. but no, they are separate! :lol: perhaps they wont charge for bandwidth, but there is one pipe, and you think people arent going to be able to get past that little fact of just a second wifi signal with slightly different authentication?

Muddy
06-13-2014, 02:24 PM
I dont like, nor have ever liked Comcast.. Fuckin' crooks man.

Noilly Pratt
06-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Ghetto Faraday cage for you Lance -- use a shopping bag lined with aluminum foil or get an old metal gerbil cage from a garage sale.

Hal-9000
06-13-2014, 07:43 PM
I've got some empty gerbil cages Lance can have for free

8-[

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2014, 07:44 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2014, 07:44 PM
:pancake:

Hal-9000
06-13-2014, 07:45 PM