PDA

View Full Version : Sony begins partial PlayStation Network operation

Teh One Who Knocks
05-15-2011, 12:49 PM
The Associated Press

TOKYO – Sony began restoring its PlayStation Network service in the United States and Europe on Sunday after shutting down the service almost a month ago due to a massive security breach affecting over 100 million online accounts.

Restored operations are mainly limited to online gaming, chat and music streaming services. Sony said it aimed to fully restore the PlayStation Network by the end of May.

Sony also began Sunday a phased restoration of its Qriocity movie and music services which share the PlayStation Network's server, said Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka.

Limited services will also resume in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the Middle East, and Sony said it will start restoring the service for users in Asia soon.

Sony's PlayStation network is a system that links gamers worldwide in live play. Sony shut it down on April 20 after discovering a hacker attack.

Sony said personal data, including credit card numbers, may have been stolen. But the company said Sunday it had not received any reports of the stolen information being used illegally.

Kazuho Hirai, chief of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation video game unit, said in a statement that the company has beefed up security measures to protect customers' personal data.

While the partial service allows users to enjoy video games and online chat, Sony said consumers still cannot buy video games or other content by using credit cards.

"While we understand the importance of getting our services back online, we did not rush to do so at the expense of extensively and aggressively testing our enhanced security measures," Hirai said.

Among the 100 million user accounts, Sony said about 92 million can access the limited PlayStation network service.

The network serves both the PlayStation video game machines and Sony's Qriocity movie and music services. It is a system that also allows users to upgrade and download games and other content.

Sony spokesman Sosuke Kamei said the company's probe into the hacker attack was ongoing. He declined to give details on the investigation.

Sony was under heavy criticism over its handling of the network intrusion. The company did not notify consumers of the breach until April 26 even though it began investigating unusual activity on the network from April 19.

Last month, U.S. lawyers filed a lawsuit against Sony on behalf of lead plaintiff Kristopher Johns for negligent protection of personal data and failure to inform players in a timely fashion that their credit card information may have been stolen. The lawsuit seeks class-action status.

Since the shutdown of the PlayStation Network on April 20, Sony's share price has dropped nearly nine percent to close at 2,241 yen ($28) on Friday.

redred
05-15-2011, 02:29 PM
:dance2:

redred
05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
:tinfoil: at the ready

just read this on a gaming forum

I`m glad its going online for you all, its feckin awful not having it. But heres something a lot of you may not know.

Anonymous never hacked PSN. Sony discovered that jailbroken PS3`s were going online and blocked them. The jailbreakers made a new version which enabled them to go back on PSN and also download content from the store for free. Sony didnt like this but could not stop it so shut the whole network down while they beefed up security, leaving everyone gutted. They had to shut it down or they would have lost even more money than they did as folk with jailbroken PS3`s were downloading games etc for nothing.
No CC details went missing, and if you check, not one person on the network has reported any unusual activity on thier bank accounts.
This whole month of down time is because Sony were unable to stop jailbroken PS3`s accessing PSN. Thats why you all have to get new firmware and update your passwords. And also why you get to pick 2 free games. Sony thought "Why not? We lost enough games etc to the jailbreakers."
I`m not flaming or fanboying, just stating a few little known facts. The internet will verify this information if you want to check it out. Hopefully they have cured the problem now and you all wont have to go through this again.

they wouldn't would they ?

samarchepas
05-15-2011, 03:49 PM
:omfg:!!!....:dance2::dance2::dance2:

redred
05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
have you managed to get on yet mate? i've done the update but it's not been turn on for the UK yet

samarchepas
05-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Yup...online right now :tup:...after you have done the update you have to change your password then it lets you in.
EDIT: just found it they turned it on at 4 AM this morning :lol:

redred
05-15-2011, 05:29 PM
is the prompt to change the password sent by email?

samarchepas
05-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Nope, when you try to log in...it will DEMAND you to change it (:lol:)

samarchepas
05-15-2011, 05:56 PM
PlayStation Network services have now been restored for the UK, Ireland and the Middle East (Playstation's Facebook page)

redred
05-15-2011, 08:22 PM
:dance2: i met other people in red dead

samarchepas
05-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Wonderful feeling huh?:lol: (unless they shoot you in the face :lol:)

redred
05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
i only had time just to check i could get online didn't even fire a shot off then watched a film ,when do we get the free stuff?

samarchepas
05-16-2011, 10:18 PM
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/ "soon"...lots of free stuff coming up :D

Hugh_Janus
05-16-2011, 10:21 PM

man, I hate that game.... I couldn't even park my horse. He kept jumping over the damn fence :x

samarchepas
05-16-2011, 10:25 PM
man, I hate that game.... I couldn't even park my horse. He kept jumping over the damn fence :x

Never played a game so much in my entire life :lol: (came out a year ago...still playing :lol:)...had a few "bad bugs"...most were patched a while ago.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 10:54 PM

:loser:

Hugh_Janus
05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
:slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
At least I can park a horse :hand:

Hugh_Janus
05-16-2011, 11:17 PM
its notg my fault the jump the horse and park the horse function use the same button :slap:

samarchepas
05-17-2011, 01:36 AM
That's what happens when you try to park it before it says "Hitch" :lol:

redred
05-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Hugh_Janus > :point: < people that can park horses