PDA

View Full Version : Family Finds Missing Dog, Won't Give Him Back Because Kids 'Are Attached'

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
By Sarah Fruchtnicht - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/YeLFVg4.jpg

A Colorado family took in a soldier’s missing dog and is refusing to give the Shiba Inu back because they say their kids are too attached.

The dog's owner, Robert “Robby” Gabbert, was deployed to Afghanistan in March, and he left his 3-year-old Shiba Inu, named Baxter, with the wrong person. His girlfriend in Fort Carson was supposed to be petsitting Baxter, but she decided it was too much for her to handle. Instead of returning him to Robby's family, she sold him on Craigslist.

A social media effort to find Baxter revealed he was living with a military family and they are reluctant to give him up.

"They keep saying they have children that are attached," Robby's mother, Karen Fraley, told KOAA. "Well my child is attached to the dog. Just because he's older doesn't mean he's not my child."

Robby has owned and taken care of Baxter since the dog was just a puppy.

Moved by the story, supporters set up a Facebook page called “Help Bring Baxter Home” and his supporters say there is no reason Baxter's new family will not do the right thing.

"Now that they know about it, they can do the right thing," says supporter Nancy Wallace. "They can teach their children, 'Yeah this is very difficult, but we do the right thing.'"

Organizers of the Facebook page say they never met Robby and they have no ill will towards the family who took Baxter in.

“No one wants to give them any negative publicity,” Wallace explains. “We just really want Baxter back home with Robby.”

The family has been offered $14,000 to return the dog, and the Colorado Shiba Inu rescue has offered to help the family find a new pet.

Robby has at least six months left in his deployment.

Wallace says Robby should be able to do his job in Afghanistan without worrying about his dog.

"We don't want to get the girl in trouble or anything,” says Robby’s father, Bob Gabbert. "We just want to get Baxter back. His is part of the family and we just love that little dog. He means so much to my son.”

Facebook organizers say they have found an attorney that can help the family stay anonymous and return the dog to Robby.

Goofy
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Tough one. The new family bought the dog faithfully believing they would own him, can see why they wouldn't want to hand him over. Very easy to get attached to a dog too......... dunno if i'd be very willing to hand over a dog i'd bonded with.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 11:27 AM
His 'girlfriend' should be fucking sold on Craigslist

Goofy
06-18-2014, 11:28 AM
:agreed:

FBD
06-18-2014, 01:02 PM

right, if the dog means that much to him, make sure you ditch the bitch

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 06:52 PM

yeah man that was some cold shit....he's over fighting, she sells his dog and makes cash on Craiglist while he's gone...

Godfather
06-19-2014, 04:59 AM
What a shitty story, there's no win-win here. Obviously the girlfriend is a piece of shit.

My gut reaction was to say that the new owners have no excuse... but I adopted my dog at 9-months old, the previous owners couldn't take care of him. If they asked for him back a month later, I'd politely tell them to fuck off, I loved that dog from day one. Different scenario here but I get the attachment. Still, I hope this guy gets his pup back, it is his.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-19-2014, 11:13 AM
By Michael Zennie - The Daily Mail

http://i.imgur.com/A1k8haY.jpg

The family who bought a deployed soldier's beloved dog Baxter when his malicious girlfriend sold him on Craigslist has agreed to return him to his rightful owner.

The parents had initially refused to return Baxter to Robert Gabbert, who has been in Afghanistan for the last six months - his second deployment. They said their children had become too attached to the dog in the month it had been in the Colorado Springs, Colorado, home.

However, after Mr Gabbert's plight elicited a social media campaign and news stories, the family changed course.

'I think the people that bought the dog and read the stories and felt bad,' Mr Gabbert's father Robert Sr told MailOnline.

'I guess, there’s been so many people supporting Robbie, that the family came forward with the dog and they’re going to return it.'

Mr Gabbert raised Baxter from a puppy and his Facebook page is filled with photos of him lovingly embracing his dog and taking him on adventures outside Fort Carson, Colorado, where Mr Gabbert is stationed.

Before he left, Mr Gabbert posted a photo collage of him and Baxter together. 'Thinking of turning this into a blanket,' he wrote.

'That’s his baby. He bought that dog before he went the first time. He did a lot of research to find the right one with the right color coat. He paid a lot of money for that dog. This kid even belongs to the kennel club,' the elder Mr Gabbert told MailOnline.

'It upset him pretty much when he found out she got rid of it.'

During his first deployment, he shipped Baxter to his father in Columbus, Ohio. The elder Mr Gabbert said it wasn't any trouble taking care of the pup because has already has a dog of his own.

This time around, when he got word he was going to deploy, his girlfriend told him she could look after the pup.

A few months ago, she told Mr Gabbert she was having trouble caring for Baxter, the soldier's father said. He gave her his dad's cell phone number and said he would pay to have the pup shipped back to Ohio.

'She never did call me,' the elder Mr Gabbert said. 'Next thing we hear, she'd gone and sold him on the Internet!'

The elder Mr Gabbert said he plans to send the family that had the dog money so they can find another dog for their children.

'I do feel bad for them. They bought him and didn't know that he wasn't hers to sell. The kids should have a dog.'

http://i.imgur.com/N7xdb2u.jpg

Goofy
06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
:woot: