PDA

View Full Version : Judge rules no cold beer sales in grocery, convenience stores

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
TheIndyChannel.com Staff , Katie Heinz

http://i.imgur.com/hhixK1M.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS - An attempt to allow grocery stores and convenience stores to sell cold beer in Indiana has fallen flat.

A federal judge in Indianapolis has thrown out a lawsuit which seeks the sale of cold beer by all retail outlets that hold a beer dealer permit.

Chief Judge Richard Young handed down the 34-page order late Monday afternoon. In it, he upholds the current state law.

Currently, only package liquor stores can sell "chilled" beer, other stores must sell it at room temperature.

The Indiana Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association filed the lawsuit in May 2013 to challenge the law that bars the sale of cold beer by convenience and grocery stores. The group claimed Indiana's alcohol law violates the equal protection of the U.S. Constitution by favoring one class of retailer of another.

Monday's ruling said allowing convenience and grocery stores to sell cold beer would mean more alcohol sales in Indiana, making it harder for Indiana State Excise Police to enforce state liquor laws.

The ruling also rejected claims by the convenience store group that the law is "arcane," saying the legislature has drawn a line on what it will allow and has made a case for it, so it is not for the judge to act as a super-legislature and overturn it.

"Our members and Hoosiers are disappointed that the court did not rule to end an irrational, discriminatory and outdated law," said IPCA Executive Director Scot Imus. "There is wide-support to modernize Indiana’s alcohol laws, and we will continue to fight for fairness in the marketplace."

RBP
06-18-2014, 11:39 AM
:-s

Hire better lobbyists and change the law instead of asking the court to be an activist for your business.

FBD
06-18-2014, 01:09 PM
wtf? why the hell would you drink a beer unless it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 34 degrees f?

FBD
06-18-2014, 01:10 PM
:-s

Hire better lobbyists and change the law instead of asking the court to be an activist for your business.

right, aka pay the law-legislation off and get what you want just like the big boys do :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 01:11 PM
wtf? why the hell would you drink a beer unless it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 34 degrees f?

They probably are trying to claim that if someone could buy cold beer at a convenience store, it would promote more drinking and driving

FBD
06-18-2014, 01:17 PM
:lol: right...because after I go to the grocery store, its out for a 2 hour drive around the countryside with my cold beer in my hand, because fuck all those perishables I just bought :roll:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2014, 03:51 PM
:lol:

This is just trying to let the package store corner the market because if you have a choice of cold beer or beer you have to chill and they are nearby, where will you go

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 04:08 PM
we've never had cold beer in any stores...other than designated liquor stores

:sad2:

Muddy
06-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Who run barter town?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
we've never had cold beer in any stores...other than designated liquor stores

:sad2:

Is that a provincial law? I remember when we were going to Quebec all the time, first stop we made across the border was the little store that was there to buy cold beer for the ride to Montreal.

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Is that a provincial law? I remember when we were going to Quebec all the time, first stop we made across the border was the little store that was there to buy cold beer for the ride to Montreal.

It's a federal law as far as I know....never have been able to get beer in corner stores/grocery stores in Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba...

At one time all of the liquor stores were government run, then they privatized. So then we saw Joe's Booze Barn etc that featured different hours and stuff you could buy within. Now we have wine and cold beer stores, as opposed to when it was government run where everything was under one roof. Hard liquor, beer, wine etc..no cold products though.

Government stores used to have some pretty shitty hours too....closed at 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays, closed all day Sunday without exception.

It was a big deal to go to a privatized store and get actual cold beer at midnight...

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Sounds like the east coast I went to a 7-11 and asked where the beer was, the guy looked at me like I was crazy

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:19 PM
back when the gov ran things....you could get what was called off-sales at some bars.

Always at 2am and the beer was cold. Also about 3 bucks more per case if I recall correctly...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 05:19 PM

I just did a Google Maps/Earth search, looks like that little store right across the border that we always stopped at is gone now. :sad2:

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Quebec has different rules than the rest of the provinces...they are truly autonomous in some regards.

They may have had stores that sold booze when the gov was running the liquor stores. It was strictly verboten out here (west) though.

what am I talking about...Quebec isn't even part of Canada those fkin heathen degenerates :x :x

Noilly Pratt
06-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Actually, they're lobbying to change it in our province, Hal. They're just doing a test run of a couple of convenience stores that have beer and wine at the moment, and the other stores are crying foul because the government are reportedly going to control who gets to sell and who doesn't.

So it must be a provincial law -- but the Liquor Control board are federal, and the Liquor Distribution branch are Provincial, so :idk:

Fun Noilly Pratt fact -- I bought my van at a Gov't auction. It was a Liquor Distr. branch van and it was beefed up to carry alcohol, but I found out it never did that -- just carried mucky-mucks from the airport to the office. I bid on it at an online auction.

Muddy
06-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Sounds like the east coast I went to a 7-11 and asked where the beer was, the guy looked at me like I was crazy

No, sounds like a Yankee thing. We sell beer in our convenience stores.

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Actually, they're lobbying to change it in our province, Hal. They're just doing a test run of a couple of convenience stores that have beer and wine at the moment, and the other stores are crying foul because the government are reportedly going to control who gets to sell and who doesn't.

So it must be a provincial law -- but the Liquor Control board are federal, and the Liquor Distribution branch are Provincial, so :idk:

Fun Noilly Pratt fact -- I bought my van at a Gov't auction. It was a Liquor Distr. branch van and it was beefed up to carry alcohol, but I found out it never did that -- just carried mucky-mucks from the airport to the office. I bid on it at an online auction.

So they're trying to pass it now?

How long has it been since the stores were privatized? 20, 25 years? :lol:

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:28 PM
I think selling beer in other stores will lead to more instances of drunkenness across the board...hours are different and well duhhh, more places to get beer :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Quebec has different rules than the rest of the provinces...they are truly autonomous in some regards.

They may have had stores that sold booze when the gov was running the liquor stores. It was strictly verboten out here (west) though.

what am I talking about...Quebec isn't even part of Canada those fkin heathen degenerates :x :x

Yeah, it was some tiny little dump of a store right across the border, sold cold beer and other cold drinks. And the beer cooler was HUGE, we used to buy a case of Molson for the ride up :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2014, 05:34 PM

We did in Vermont too...about the only state I know of that's weird about their liquor/beer laws in the northeast area is Massachusetts and that could have changed by now. That was 20 years ago last time I was there.

FBD
06-18-2014, 05:35 PM
yep, that's yankee ville for ya.

dude it was literally within the last like 2 years that we can buy beer on fuggin SUNDAY here.

and what, 5-8 or so ago they gave us that HUGE boon and let stores sell until NINE pm instead of 8

fking puritans :roll:

Muddy
06-18-2014, 05:36 PM
ABC we have to go to the "licka sto"..

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Yeah, it was some tiny little dump of a store right across the border, sold cold beer and other cold drinks. And the beer cooler was HUGE, we used to buy a case of Molson for the ride up :lol:

I tell ya man...getting a cold case of beer was a big deal back in the day. I can remember countless times going to big house parties, the fridge is full so we'd drink our beer warm sitting on the counter :puke:

that was until we started bringing the big coleman cooler to parties :shifty:

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:38 PM
ABC we have to go to the "licka sto"..

gittin some pops n stuff

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:39 PM
*we call sodas pop up here and since beer is low alcohol they're often referred to as pops

as in, I've had a few wobbly pops :)

Muddy
06-18-2014, 05:40 PM
:tmi:

Muddy
06-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Kidding :lol:

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:42 PM
git yo scrawny black ass outta my face Willis

not kidding :lol:

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 05:43 PM
*sigh*

I miss the days when a fella could just kick back on the stoop (shirtless) and polish off a fine bottle of Thunderbird...ohh yesss

*2.99/bottle or 2 for 5 dolla! :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Yeah, it is NJ/PA. Now that I think about 7-11 sold beer in CT when I lived there. But even they didnt sell beer on Sunday's or Mondays if it was a holiday. Yet you could go to a bar, wtf is the point. You can drink and drive, but no drinking at home

FBD
06-18-2014, 06:08 PM
it used to be a real pain in the ass trying to gauge how much people would drink for all of saturday night and sunday...

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Seriously, and then you have to try to account for Monday :lol:

Hal-9000
06-18-2014, 06:14 PM
same for us....gove liquor stores open until 10 pm Saturday and then closed for Sunday

you'd see guys with shopping carts if there was a big football game or event on Sunday :lol:

FBD
06-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Seriously, and then you have to try to account for Monday :lol:

...and if it was a holiday monday....

why do I have a super deja vu typing that :lol:

Godfather
06-19-2014, 04:33 AM
It's a federal law as far as I know....

Each province controls all its own liquor laws per the constitution (Alberta's lower drinking age is an example), it's just that most provinces don't currently allow sale in grocery stores for some reason.

BC is on the verge of changing the laws though :mrgreen: Seems that we might be able to buy wine & beer in grocery stores soon. It bugs me off I have to go to a separate store to get a measly 6-pack or bottle of wine. That's one of the best novelties of going down to Wal-Mart in the US :lol: (that and the fact that beer is half the price).