PDA

View Full Version : It's gold for Finland!

Jezter
05-15-2011, 09:08 PM
BRATISLAVA – It is a great day in Finnish hockey history. In the latest chapter of hockey’s classic Nordic rivalry, Finland demolished Sweden 6-1 in the gold medal game of the 2011 IIHF World Championship. Petteri Nokelainen scored the first of five third-period Finnish goals, and it stood up as the winner.

Sweden – Finland 1-6 (0-0, 1-1, 0-5) Game Sheet Photos

Tournament scoring leader Jarkko Immonen, Niko Kapanen, Janne Pesonen, Mika Pyörälä, and Antti Pihlström also tallied for Finland. Magnus Pääjärvi scored for Sweden.

In a duel of 2011's top two goalies statistically, Finland's Petri Vehanen got the best of tournament MVP Viktor Fasth as Sweden outshot the Finns 33-32.

The 16-year wait for Finnish fans is finally over. Finland’s one and only previous World Championship gold came in 1995 in Stockholm with a 4-1 final win over Sweden, as the Finnish fans celebrated to the strains of the bouncy tournament theme song, “Den Glider In.”

Jukka Jalonen got his first World Championship medal ever as head coach of the Finnish Lions, and it was the colour he was looking for. Pär Mårts, who coached Sweden to World U20 silver in 2008 and 2009, came away with second place again in his head coaching debut at the Worlds.

This night, the attendance of 9,166 at Orange Arena was evenly split among Finnish and Swedish fans, and their competing chants of "Suomi!"and "Sverige!" created a great atmosphere.

The Finns, showing the mental toughness they've shown all tournament long, didn't crumble under adversity in the biggest game of the year.

After a tense, scoreless first period, Sweden got the first goal at 7:20 of the second when Pääjärvi unleashed a lightning wrister from the left faceoff circle that beat Vehanen high on the glove side.

Nokelainen took a boarding call on Oliver Ekman-Larsson on the forecheck at 14:25, and Sweden went to the power play. The Swedes came close to grabbing a two-goal lead when Patrik Berglund tipped Pääjärvi’s slap-pass off the post.

Finnish wunderkind Mikael Granlund drew a penalty late in the middle frame as he tried to dipsy-doodle through David Petrasek, who hooked him. And with seven seconds left before the buzzer, the Finns tied it on Immonen’s tournament-leading ninth goal.

A prone Mikko Koivu kicked the puck back up the left boards to Janne Pesonen, who got it to Immonen, and he stepped in from the left point and hammered it high past Fasth’s glove. It was a critical moment. The Finns had seized the momentum heading to the third.

And they just kept rolling. At 2:35 of the final stanza, Nokelainen broke in over the Swedish blueline alongside Pihlström, who sent him a neat pass on the left side, and he roofed it impeccably past Fasth's stick.

At 3:21, the Finns went up 3-1 when Kapanen grabbed a loose puck to Fasth's left after a partially blocked centering pass from Juhamatti Aaltonen and banged it in.

Halfway through the third, the Swedes called a timeout to regroup. But they couldn't solve Finland's tenacious checking.

The Finns got a ton of late insurance goals. First, there was a marker from Pesonen with 3:41 left, as he raced in to collect a Granlund shoot-in off the end boards and put a backhand deke past Fasth to make it 4-1. Pyörälä completely doused hopes of a Swedish rally when he potted another one from the right faceoff circle just 35 seconds later.

Pihlström put the icing on the cake with a beautiful high shot with 55 seconds left. 6-1. Good night, Sweden.

The celebration was on, not only in the arena, but from Helsinki to Rovaniemi.

It is a refreshing pace of change for Finland, which had grown accustomed to heartbreaking losses to Sweden. Two recent examples include Sweden’s rallying from a 5-1 deficit to down Finland 6-5 in the 2003 World Championship quarter-finals in Helsinki, and Tre Kronor’s 3-2 victory in the 2006 Olympic gold medal game on Nicklas Lidström’s early third-period goal.

The Finns can now put behind them a sad legacy of losing in the finals under the IIHF's playoff system (1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2007). They are the well-deserving champions of the world.

Sweden’s last medal came in 2010 with a bronze medal victory over the host Germans. Finland’s previous one also came at Sweden’s expense, a bronze in Canada 2008.

Interestingly, 2011 marks the first year that Finland’s national team has not included at least one member of the squad that won gold in Sweden in 1995.

The gold medal victory moves Finland up from fifth place to second in the IIHF World Ranking.

The two Nordic finalists are also the co-hosts of the IIHF World Championship in 2012 and 2013. Finland hopes to be defending its title when the next gold medal game is played in Helsinki on May 20, 2012.

deebakes
05-15-2011, 10:01 PM
:morning:

RBP
05-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Congrats Jezter! Suomi!

Muddy
05-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Congrats, my boy....

deebakes
05-15-2011, 11:35 PM
way to go fins! :tup:

Jezter
05-16-2011, 04:04 AM

Really?

deebakes
05-16-2011, 04:10 AM
no, not really :lol:

Godfather
05-16-2011, 05:16 AM

I was thinking the same thing :lol: Stupid miss-scheduled tourny...

But congrats to Finland. Always great to see that!!!

Jezter
05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
For sure the last time I post any achievements of my country. They will only get laughed at and downplayed.
Let the americans and canadians rule everything. Fuck rest of the world and what they achieve and what it means to them.

redred
05-16-2011, 02:03 PM
For sure the last time I post any achievements of my country. .

will they win anything again:outtahere:

only joking jez well done to :finland: does the england have a team ?

MrsM
05-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Congrats Jezter (and Finland) - once Canada was out, I was for Finland all the way :finland:

Godfather
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
For sure the last time I post any achievements of my country. They will only get laughed at and downplayed.
Let the americans and canadians rule everything. Fuck rest of the world and what they achieve and what it means to them.

Seriously very happy for Finland and for you Jez. Winning that must have been a helluva party :thumbsup:

Muddy
05-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Ya'll really take this soccer stuff serious...

Jezter
05-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Ya'll really take this soccer stuff serious...
And here we go some more! FFS!

It is not just a little tiny whatever thing for us to win gold! Please try to atleast be happy for me and for Finland.
Sure you have your NHL, but if you are so damn good at hockey and with Canada and USA having hundred times more players, it is pretty amazing that a small country like Finland can get medals year after year. Both in the Olympics and in the World Championships. If it were such a whatever thing for you (Canada and USA), why even send a team then? And if you are so damn good at it, why can't you win? Your teams must not be just "scrappy second grade players" like some of you have said basically, cuz they are all NHL players and some from KHL. So if NHL players are scrappy..then I guess your league aint that good then. Plus, a lot of good teams with a lot of good, high profile players dropped out from the play-offs anyway. So they were available. A good example is how Ovechking and Kovalchuck et al came for Team Russia. Even that didn't help them. I guess it is hard for north american to understand what it means for us to be the world's best. It would still be nice if someone would genuinely be happy and even try to understand what it means. Not just kid around and downplay what a big achievement this is.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/mmlatka2011/201105160100156_jm.shtml

Muddy
05-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Jezter... Dude... reallly.. chill down man... Of course Im happy for Finland... But really you're taking this so serious.. At the end of the day it's a game man...

Jezter
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
So now I can't defend my joy and why Im taking this seriously? I have no right to express my feelings and express my disappointment how little respect I get from my "friends"?. Wow... this is so wrong place for me.

MrsM
05-16-2011, 04:20 PM
So Jez - are you one of the ones dancing in the fountain? (from your link)

Muddy
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
So now I can't defend my joy and why Im taking this seriously? I have no right to express my feelings and express my disappointment how little respect I get from my "friends"?. Wow... this is so wrong place for me.

*sigh*

Jezter
05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
So Jez - are you one of the ones dancing in the fountain? (from your link)

I don't live in Tampere, so no.
Helsinki is closer to me and that is how it was there: http://www.iltalehti.fi/mmlatka2011/2011051513721145_jm.shtml

MrsM
05-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't live in Tampere, so no.
Helsinki is closer to me and that is how it was there: http://www.iltalehti.fi/mmlatka2011/2011051513721145_jm.shtml

It's awesome that everyone was celebrating like that. :tup:

Jezter
05-16-2011, 04:31 PM
It's awesome that everyone was celebrating like that. :tup:
Just shows how much it means to us, and to me, which seems to be hard to understand.
The celebrations continue today in Helsinki. It starts around 20 (in half an hour from now) in Kauppatori. They are expecting about 50 000 people to turn up.

MrsM
05-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Just shows how much it means to us, and to me, which seems to be hard to understand.
The celebrations continue today in Helsinki. It starts around 20 (in half an hour from now) in Kauppatori. They are expecting about 50 000 people to turn up.

Are you heading there? If so take pics :tup:

Muddy
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Is this thread related to this thread?

http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?5597-Canada-defeats-U.S.-with-Nash%E2%80%99s-and-Eberle%E2%80%99s-shootout-goals

redred
05-16-2011, 04:51 PM

jez i think your blowing this up way to much mate , we've all said well done to finland it was a great result but you should know that forums like this are built on fun and banter everyone one gets jokes aimed at them this is what makes forums fun, we've all known each other for years via forums /facebook etc i expect jokes aimed at me when i log in just the same as when i'm joking about with real people in the pub

now way to go :finland:

Muddy
05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
I demand a rematch!!!!!

deebakes
05-16-2011, 11:59 PM

:tup: awesome, congrats!