PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Goldman Trader Says Bonus Cut to $8.25 Million Unfair

RBP
06-22-2014, 04:37 PM
That sound you hear is the world's tiniest adding machine crunching out a sad song for Deeb Salem. The former Goldman Sachs trader is taking the firm to court, arguing that it didn't give him a big enough bonus in 2010, when it awarded him a mere $8.25 million instead of the $13 million he told his mom he expected to make, Bloomberg reports. Salem had gotten a $15 million bonus in 2009, which was more than Goldman CEO Lloyd Blankfein got.

Goldman told Salem he was getting a smaller bonus—despite making the firm more than $7 billion—because he'd shown "extremely poor judgment" in discussing a short squeeze in a self-evaluation. But Salem thinks he was worth more, and notes that one exec at a cocktail party told him he was a "steal" at $15 million. Arbitrators ruled against him after a Feb. 25 hearing, but he's arguing in a petition filed in New York State Supreme Court last week that the arbitration panel was biased—one member allegedly dubbed the case BS during the hearing.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2014-06-18/ex-goldman-trader-says-bonus-cut-to-8-25-million-unfair.html

Muddy
06-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Awwww... Boo Booo!

Hugh_Janus
06-23-2014, 11:13 PM
if I made more than 7 billion for my company, I'd expect more than he got :shrug:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Yeah, it's so sad. But he did rake it in for them

Godfather
06-24-2014, 02:01 AM
if I made more than 7 billion for my company, I'd expect more than he got :shrug:

I agree. This dude alone accounted for 20% of GS's annual revenue... I'm sure he's a Grade-A prick, but they probably should have just given him the money for the good of their shareholders.

That said, what kind of idiot doesn't get a written contract with a bonus structure? A verbal contract was discussed for a discretionary bonus. Not too bright 'Deeb.'

FBD
06-24-2014, 12:03 PM

:hand: I made 7 billion playing fuggin monopoly once, too

Goofy
06-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Yeah, it's so sad. But he did rake it in for them

I agree. This dude alone accounted for 20% of GS's annual revenue... I'm sure he's a Grade-A prick, but they probably should have just given him the money for the good of their shareholders.

That said, what kind of idiot doesn't get a written contract with a bonus structure? A verbal contract was discussed for a discretionary bonus. Not too bright 'Deeb.'

Maybe he should start his own company then and risk his own money ;)

Muddy
06-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Maybe he should start his own company then and risk his own money ;)

Yeah really..