PDA

View Full Version : Ground Zero Cross: Court presses atheist group to explain why artifact is 'offensive'

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2014, 10:54 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/apuPcx2.jpg

A federal appeals court said this week that an atheist group trying to keep the so-called Ground Zero Cross out of the National September 11 Memorial Museum must better explain how displaying the artifact is “offensive” and violates members’ constitutional rights.

The 17-foot-tall, steel beam “cross” was found in the rubble of the World Trade Center twin towers in New York that fell during the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

The cross became a sort of shrine or place of comfort for first responders who often prayed there and left messages or flowers. It was moved away from the debris a few weeks later and became a tourist attraction through several years of reconstruction.

American Atheists filed the suit in 2011, which was thrown out last year by a federal judge in the Southern District of New York.

The appeals court ruling Thursday cites an amicus brief filed by the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, a nonprofit law firm that specializes in church-state law and protecting the free expression of all religious traditions.

“We’re thrilled that the court picked up on this issue,” said group lawyer Eric Baxter, whose brief argued that American Atheists had no right to bring a lawsuit in the first place. “Courts should not allow people to sue just because they claim to get ‘dyspepsia’ over a historical artifact displayed in a museum.”

The museum officially opened on May 21.

The judge has now given the plaintiffs until July 14 to file supplemental legal briefs before deciding whether the case will proceed. Among the questions that must be answered in the new filings is how the offensiveness of the cross, which the plaintiffs view as a Christian symbol for all 9-11 victims, becomes a “constitutional injury.”

The other question is -- if the plaintiffs indeed feel displaying the cross “marginalizes them as American citizens” -- then how is that a “particular and concrete injury" compared to just “the abstract stigmatization of atheists generally.”

The judge has also asked the plaintiffs to substantiate their claim the museum and Sept. 11 memorial are getting taxpayer dollars.

“Taking personal offense is not an injury that warrants invoking the power of the courts to shut down everything you disagree with,” Baxter also said. “The Constitution is not a personal tool for censoring everyone’s beliefs but your own.”

Goofy
06-24-2014, 12:00 PM
“Taking personal offense is not an injury that warrants invoking the power of the courts to shut down everything you disagree with,” Baxter also said. “The Constitution is not a personal tool for censoring everyone’s beliefs but your own.”

:tup: Too many arseholes in this world that get upset at the least little thing........ cunts. I have no religious beliefs but i'd have zero problem with a cross being erected at a place where lots of innocent people lost their lives.

FBD
06-24-2014, 12:27 PM
I was gonna quote that too, the courts are too often abused by people just using it as a means to shut others up.

Hal-9000
06-25-2014, 07:33 PM
there are no religious artifacts in front of the Atheists Meeting Hall

Imma sue! :x

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2014, 02:06 PM
By Bill Mears, CNN Senior Producer

http://i.imgur.com/81yiLXx.jpg

(CNN) -- A memorial cross at the National September 11 Memorial and Museum in New York can remain at the newly-opened facility, an appeals court ruled Monday.

A three-judge panel of the 2nd U.S. Circuit found that the cross, located at ground zero, was "a symbol of hope" and historical in nature. It did not intentionally discriminate against a group of atheists who sued to have it removed, they ruled.

The court also rejected arguments the traditional Christian cross was an impermissible mingling of church and state.

"With this recognition, a reasonable observer would view the primary effect of displaying the cross at ground zero, amid hundreds of other (mostly secular) artifacts, to be ensuring historical completeness, not promoting religion," the judges said in their decision.

The 17-foot cross in the museum was erected by rescue and recovery workers, and built from intersecting steel beams that had been part of the World Trade Center's North Tower, after it collapsed during the al Qaeda terror attacks in 2001.

It was moved a year ago from near a church to its new location in lower Manhattan.

"This is an enormously important and common-sense ruling," said Eric Baxter, counsel for the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, which filed a brief supporting the museum's right to display the cross, noting that the court drew an "important distinction" between religion and history and culture.

The case was first dismissed by a federal district judge.

FBD
07-29-2014, 02:09 PM
nice cuts in that piece

Goofy
07-29-2014, 05:13 PM
:cheers:

Common sense winning again? :faint:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2014, 06:22 PM
:cheers:

Common sense winning again? :faint:

Scary, innit?

FBD
07-30-2014, 06:26 PM
this cross was just found in the rubble, they have not altered or cut it? (affixing it to its present base aside, of course)

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Yup, other than the mount at the base, that was exactly as found in the rubble.

FBD
07-30-2014, 06:36 PM
:-k

:sealed:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2014, 06:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/g68qX0Y.jpg

Hal-9000
07-30-2014, 08:14 PM
out of that huge slag heap, I bet they could have found hundreds more cross pieces like that

FBD
07-30-2014, 08:30 PM
and they could have poured one out of the melted shit, too

Hal-9000
07-30-2014, 08:36 PM
and they could of created a brilliant fake one out of balsa wood and some paint..but the chances are pretty good that they didn't :lol:

FBD
07-30-2014, 09:53 PM
:lol: well, if 7 wasnt enough for ya, clicky

if you hold on to your worldview too tightly, dont :razz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d5iIoCiI8g

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
:lol: well, if 7 wasnt enough for ya, clicky

if you hold on to your worldview too tightly, dont :razz:
:deadhorse:

FTFY :tup:

Hal-9000
07-30-2014, 10:28 PM
I'm not sure how a discussion about finding a building support that looked like a cross turned into a conspiracy about thermite charges...not really the point here FBD. If you're saying that the cross shaped girder was somehow faked, you need to really let go of your worldview my friend :lol:

we must focus dammit! :x breathe in - woooo, breathe out - saaaaaa

Hal-9000
07-30-2014, 10:41 PM
and if you call me a sheeple Imma find you and kick you in the nuts...then Imma find your best friend and kick him in the nuts too! :x

FBD
07-31-2014, 01:01 AM
no, I just always look for stuff

cant make a good soup without stirrin the pot :evil: