PDA

View Full Version : Alfredo Di Stéfano in ‘critical condition’ after heart attack in Madrid

Goofy
07-05-2014, 09:04 PM
• Incident day after 88th birthday was near Bernabéu
• Di Stéfano recovered from heart attack in 2005

http://i.imgur.com/auNgmdD.jpg
Alfredo Di Stéfano helped Real Madrid win five European Cups and is the Spanish club's honorary president.

Alfredo Di Stéfano is in a critical condition after the Real Madrid legend suffered a heart attack in the street the day after his 88th birthday.

The former Argentina, Colombia and Spain international is reported to have been taken to intensive care at Gregorio Marañon hospital in the centre of Madrid after suffering the attack close to the Santiago Bernabéu stadium. Di Stéfano – who is Real Madrid’s honorary president – was attended to by emergency medical services before being transferred to hospital. The cardiac arrest lasted 18 minutes, according to the emergency services.

A hospital spokesman said he was unable to make any comment as he was awaiting authorisation to do so. Di Stéfano was voted European Footballer of the Year in 1957 and 1959 and helped Real win five European Cups and eight league titles.

He survived another heart attack in 2005 at the age of 79.

Amazing player and surely the only man to have played International footy for 3 different countries! :(

Goofy
07-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Alfredo Di Stefano: Real Madrid legend dies at the age of 88

Real Madrid legend Alfredo Di Stefano, regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, has died.

The 88-year-old suffered a heart attack on Saturday and had been in an induced coma in Madrid's Gregorio Maranon hospital.

Real Madrid confirmed the news, saying Di Stefano, their honorary president, died at 1715 CET (1615 BST).

A forward, he won five straight European Cups, scoring in each final between 1956 and 1960.

Sir Bobby Charlton, who played against him for Manchester United, paid tribute.

"I think Alfredo Di Stefano was one of the best players I ever came across and an extremely intelligent footballer," said the former England international.

"He was somebody I really respected, having watched him from the stands at the Bernabeu and then played against him. I have many fond memories of my time with Alfredo and feel privileged to be able to call him a good friend.

"The footballing world has lost a great player and a great man."

Alfredo Di Stefano's honours

Five European Cups

1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960 (Real Madrid)

Eight Spanish leagues

1954, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964 (Real Madrid)

One Spanish Cup

1962 (Real Madrid)

One Intercontinental Cup

1960 (Real Madrid)

Two Argentine leagues

1945, 1947 (River Plate)

One America Cup

1947 (River Plate)

Four Colombian leagues

1949, 1951, 1952, 1953 (Millonarios Bogota)

Real president Florentino Perez said he and the club's board would 'like to express deepest condolences and all their love and affection to his children, their families and friends'.

The Argentina-born player also won eight Spanish league titles and was voted European player of the year in 1957 and 1959.

He left Real in 1964 at the age of 38, having scored more than 300 goals across 11 seasons.

Di Stefano played at international level for three nations but never appeared at the World Cup.

He won six caps for Argentina and played four times for Colombia during a spell in that country's league. However, his Colombia caps are not officially recognised by Fifa.

http://i.imgur.com/gdRPmMQ.jpg

Fifa said in 1954 he could not play for Spain but reversed that decision in 1957 after he gained citizenship and he went on to win 31 caps, scoring 23 goals.

As a manager Di Stefano led Boca Juniors and River Plate to Argentine league titles, and won La Liga and the Copa del Rey with Valencia.

He had spells at Sporting Lisbon, Rayo Vallecano and Castellon before taking over at Real in 1982, with the club runners-up in five competitions during his two years in charge. He managed the club again for five months from 1990, winning the Spanish Super Cup against Barcelona.

Di Stefano became honorary Real president in 2000.

BBC Radio 5 live pundit Jimmy Armfield

"He was the all-purpose footballer. He could chase back, he could set the play up, he could score goals and he made other players. I think he made them into world-class stars. Gento was another big name of Real Madrid at the time and went on to captain them as well, he told me that he thinks Stefano was the greatest footballer he'd ever seen."

The football world was quick to pay its respects.

United's Spanish goalkeeper, Madrid-born David De Gea, added: "A sad day for the world of football. One of the greatest has passed away. RIP Don Alfredo Di Stefano."

Former England striker Gary Lineker wrote: "One of the greatest players ever. Scored in 5 successive European Cup finals. A feat never to be matched."

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, who signed for the Gunners from Madrid, tweeted simply: "R.I.P. Alfredo Di Stefano."

Goofy
07-07-2014, 04:59 PM
:rip: