PDA

View Full Version : Is Wonder Woman Cursed?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 04:16 PM
by Joal Ryan - E! Online

http://i.imgur.com/JMb0t.jpg

It wasn't you, Wonder Woman. It was NBC.

That's the gist of what a network exec told reporters yesterday when asked why the Peacock didn't pick up its highly touted superhero pilot for the new fall season.

But, frankly, Conspiracy Corner is still always suspicious…

Isn't it odd that Wonder Woman projects never get off the ground?

(Isn't it convenient that for the sake of argument we're ignoring the two WW projects that did get off the ground: the semi-iconic 1976-79 Lynda Carter series and the cheeseball 1974 TV movie?)

Do you realize David E. Kelley is but the latest writer-producer to have been thwarted by the Amazonian princess?

Did you know that, at the height of primetime Batman-mania in the mid-1960s, the makers of the campy Caped Crusader series tried to work their magic on Wonder Woman—and succeeded only in making one of the most inexplicable YouTube clips of all-time?

Do you remember how Joss Whedon tried to work his magic on Wonder Woman—and succeeded only in breaking hearts when he announced he couldn't?

Do you remember how amped you were to learn of the Kelley pilot—only to have your hopes dashed (and your retinas damaged) by Adrianne Palicki's roller-derby get-up?

Do you really think Wonder Woman's hellish stint in development hell is merely the result of bad luck and/or bad decisions?

Ha!

Isn't the heroine cursed, NBC?!?

"[Kelley] made a really fine pilot and Adrianne Palicki did a fantastic job," network honcho Robert Greenblatt said Sunday, per Entertainment Weekly.

But what about the great, big, bad voodoo curse?!? Are you telling us bad costumes, like Palicki's pre-toned-down version, just happen?!?

"[The costume and/or the furor over the costume] didn't have anything to do with whether the show got picked up," Greenblatt said.

Because the Wonder Woman curse doomed it, right?!?

Said Greenblatt: "I don't know if it's cursed or what."

Oh, we know!

Now if we can only figure out why Wonder Woman's cursed…

Maybe the fates don't want to make it look like they're always picking on Superman movies?

FBD
05-16-2011, 08:52 PM
If that's who's playing WW, and she dressed like that often, people would watch it no matter how corny. (People watched Buffy and shit, right? :lol: )

deebakes
05-17-2011, 12:11 AM
kinda crazy that it is already :axe:

Midnight_Beacon
05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
It's that Wonder Woman hasn't aged well as a story. Think about the era the character was created in. It's not the same world at all. A lot of the comics for Wonder Woman I've seen have what almost looks like bondage covers given the whole tying up thing.

http://superherouniverse.com/superheroes/wonderwoman/comic-book.htm

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2008/05/277_4_219.jpg

How to translate the character into today's world? <shrug>

DemonGeminiX
05-17-2011, 06:26 PM
It's that Wonder Woman hasn't aged well as a story. Think about the era the character was created in. It's not the same world at all. A lot of the comics for Wonder Woman I've seen have what almost looks like bondage covers given the whole tying up thing.

http://superherouniverse.com/superheroes/wonderwoman/comic-book.htm

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2008/05/277_4_219.jpg

How to translate the character into today's world? <shrug>

There's absolutely nothing wrong with bondage. And if you want her to translate well into today's world, make her wear less.

8-[

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2011, 06:37 PM
kinda crazy that it is already :axe:

Yup, nobody in the public gets to see the pilot and they decide not to pick-up the show? :confused:

DemonGeminiX
05-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Yup, nobody in the public gets to see the pilot and they decide not to pick-up the show? :confused:

They do that all the time. The pilot was probably shown to a focus group and based on the focus group's reactions, they decided not to pick it up.

Hal-9000
05-17-2011, 06:45 PM
If that's who's playing WW, and she dressed like that often, people would watch it no matter how corny. (People watched Buffy and shit, right? :lol: )

I never watched Buffy just to see SMG.....I liked the stories and some of the hardcores scenes :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
They do that all the time. The pilot was probably shown to a focus group and based on the focus group's reactions, they decided not to pick it up.

Oh, I know how it works, but it's just stupid. I would bet you that there will be plenty of shows that the focus group liked that will get canceled after just a couple of episodes into the season.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I never watched Buffy just to see SMG.....I liked the stories and some of the hardcores scenes :thumbsup:

Exactly...plus it was one of the best written shows on TV at the time

DemonGeminiX
05-17-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't know, I always thought the Wonder Woman story was kind of hokey. It's hard seeing it translate well, despite all of the successes with scifi and comic book adaptations these days.

Hal-9000
05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
*thinks*

Strong, Amazonian women from an island of all women...every one of them empowered and beautiful and built...and she had the magic lasso :cheerlead:
I imagine the story quite often in my head...

DemonGeminiX
05-17-2011, 07:01 PM
... and an invisible airplane.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
(People watched Buffy and shit, right? :lol: )

Blasphemer

Deepsepia
05-19-2011, 06:21 PM

I think that's it. They're trying to find a "spin" on a character that really doesn't fit anymore. Joss Whedon would have been the guy who could do it-- I don't know what went wrong with his project.