PDA

View Full Version : Israel steps up Gaza airstrikes, readies ground troops for possible invasion

Teh One Who Knocks
07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/HvqAuGE.jpg

The Israeli military said early Wednesday that it had struck dozens of sites linked to the Islamic militant group Hamas on the second day of an offensive aimed at stopping rocket attacks aimed at key cities across Israel.

The army said it attacked more than 160 sites in Gaza early Wednesday, including 118 concealed rockets launching sites, six Hamas compounds -- including naval police and national security compounds -- 10 militant command centers, weapons storage facilities and 10 tunnels used for militant activity and to ferry supplies in from Egypt. The border between Gaza and Egypt has effectively been closed for months.

Since the offensive began Tuesday, Israel has attacked more than 400 sites in Gaza. Palestinian health officials have claimed that at least 32 people have been killed in the strikes.

Israeli Army spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner added that at least four rockets were fired at Israeli territory overnight, a decline from the large barrage the evening before. Air raid sirens could be heard in Tel Aviv and southern Israel early Wednesday and Reuters reported that at least two rockets aimed at the city had been shot down by Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system.

The BBC reported that rockets fired form Gaza reached Jerusalem late Wednesday, but fell without causing injury.

Gaza health official Ashraf Al-Kedra says the overnight airstrikes killed one militant in south Gaza and an Islamic Jihad operative, his mother, and four siblings in northern Gaza. Another man was killed on a motorcycle, but his identity was not immediately known.

Lerner told reporters that the military's aim was to take a "substantial toll" on Hamas and to deplete its rocket capabilities. He said the army would gradually ramp up its strikes on Gaza.

"The organization is going to pay for its aggression. It is literally holding us hostage with its rockets," Lerner said. "The country is not willing for this situation to continue."

The previous night, the militants had fired approximately 160 rockets into Israeli territory, including one that had reached the northern city of Hadera, approximately 60 miles from Gaza.

The Hadera explosion caused no injuries, the Israeli army said, but it did mark the farthest distance a rocket has traveled from Gaza. With its new reach, Hamas' rockets now have an estimated 5 million people — more than half of Israel's population — in range.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had said Tuesday that continued rocket attacks against Israeli territory would not be tolerated.

"I have ordered the military to significantly broaden its operation against Hamas terrorists and against the other terrorist groups inside Gaza," Netanyahu said in a televised address. "I call on you to display patience because this operation could take time."

Netanyahu's government has authorized the Israeli army to activate up to 40,000 reservists for a possible ground attack against Gaza. The army said that about 1,000 soldiers were immediately activated, in addition to an earlier group of 1,500 reservists called into action.

"If we need to go inside in a ground operation, then we will do it. These things are on the table. These options exist. We will not stop anything until the rocket firing ends," said Yitzhak Aharonovitch, the minister for internal security and a member of Netanyahu's inner Security Cabinet. Israel's last ground offensive was in 2009.

In Gaza, Abu Obeida, a masked spokesman for Hamas' military wing, accused Israel of violating that agreement and demanded a halt to the airstrikes, its recent crackdown in the West Bank and its opposition to a Palestinian unity government that is backed by Hamas.

"In the face of this aggression, we affirm that the Zionist enemy should not dream of calm and stability," he said.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called from the West Bank on the international community and the United Nations to "provide international protection for our people." He said in a televised statement late Tuesday that Hamas leaders in Gaza want to restore calm.

"I have been in contact with the regional and international parties in the last few days, particularly Hamas leaders in Gaza, and everyone I've talked to expressed his willingness to restore the truce and stop the escalation," Abbas said. He called the Israeli offensive on Gaza an "orchestrated and brutal aggression."

The normally bustling streets of Gaza City were deserted late Tuesday. Fearing an Israeli ground operation, many residents from areas near the border moved to stay with relatives living deeper inside Gaza. In southern Israel, hundreds of thousands of citizens were ordered to stay close to home because of the rockets. The Jerusalem municipality said it was opening special bomb shelters.

Israel and Hamas, which is sworn to the destruction of the Jewish state, agreed to an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire that ended the last round of fighting in late 2012.

Hamas, however, is far weaker than in 2012. At the time, Egypt was governed by the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas' close ally. Following a military coup in 2013, Egypt's new government is hostile to Hamas and has closed a network of smuggling tunnels used by the group as an economic lifeline.

Hamas seized control of Gaza in 2007 from the rival forces of President Mahmoud Abbas. But facing international isolation and an economic crisis, Hamas last month agreed to back a new unity government with Abbas.

Goofy
07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Can't be long until WW3 now :-k

FBD
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
right? by hell or high water, they'll get it, they just have to set everything up properly first, like a fireworks show or something. :roll:

Arkady Renko
07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Bombing random extremists with disregard for collateral damage. How the hell is that supposed to help matters? All it'll do is give the most radical factions of the palestinians an excuse to step up the violence and tap their benefactors around the Persian Gulf for yet more money.

Loser
07-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called from the West Bank on the international community and the United Nations to "provide international protection for our people." He said in a televised statement late Tuesday that Hamas leaders in Gaza want to restore calm.

Fuck you abbas!

You want calm, stop lobbing missles asshole. You reap what you sow motherfucker.

-edit-

Kinda reminds me how an idiot would do war.

Lob a couple of rockets at a country, and then whine to the international community when they retatliate..:facepalm:

Muddy
07-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Lob a couple of rockets at a country, and then whine to the international community when they retatliate..:facepalm:

Thats what they want.. For Israel to retaliate, so others can jump in..

Hal-9000
07-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Gaza....ffs why would a person even rent an apartment there much less buy a house

they've been fighting over/bombing that piece of land for centuries...

Loser
07-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Thats what they want.. For Israel to retaliate, so others can jump in..

Who the fuck is going to help the hamas and the palestinians? Iran? :lol:

Muddy
07-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Yes. Any non-Jew country in the middle East most likely.

Hal-9000
07-09-2014, 06:20 PM

The mighty ISIS will help!

http://i57.tinypic.com/ve0qvr.jpg

Muddy
07-09-2014, 06:22 PM
I just at a beaner burrito.

Loser
07-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Yes. Any non-Jew country in the middle East most likely.

Shall I point out the yom kippur war again? :lol:

FBD
07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
shall I point out the change in nuclear capabilities in the region? :razz:

when all sides play the other sides, only fuckery is the result.

Lambchop
07-10-2014, 01:20 AM
It seems that you can't question Israel without being called an antisemite or being isolated.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you'd be upset that Muhammad performed genocide on early Jewish tribes... but I just wish you'd be more honest and open.

It's fucked up shit... the more you read into it the more you question humanity itself.

Lambchop
07-10-2014, 04:25 AM
http://oi61.tinypic.com/ndkg3m.jpg

A Palestinian man lies in the rubble where his home once stood after a direct missile strike by Israeli forces that killed his wife and son

Loser
07-10-2014, 05:37 AM
Well..Maybe they should stop lobbing missles at israel? :shrug:

Godfather
07-10-2014, 06:56 AM
More Hamas garbage tonight. They're declaring all Israelis targets (which they kind of already did, launching inaccurate rockets at cities). Hard to take Hamas seriously when they build rocket launchers on top of schools and hospitals in the first place.

'Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us.' - Golda Meir

Godfather
07-10-2014, 07:02 AM

Not a country, I think it's the press that Hamas wants to help them. Hamas seems to *want* a ground invasion. Their support had but dropping but this makes Israel look like shit, Hamas can sell that, it feeds them. They know the western media absolutely savaged Israel last time around.