PDA

View Full Version : Denver Woman A Finalist To Start A Colony On Mars

Teh One Who Knocks
07-10-2014, 11:19 AM
By Mark Taylor - CBS 4 Denver

http://i.imgur.com/t8y1GcKl.jpg

DENVER (CBS4) – They’re calling it the next giant leap for mankind — putting people on the surface of Mars. It may seem like science fiction, but for a Netherlands nonprofit, it’s fact.

Mars One is the project that plans to establish a permanent human settlement on Mars with crews of four departing every two years starting in 2025. But buyer beware, it’s a one way ticket.

In Denver, just shy of her 24th birthday, Elena Finley may be one of those first Mars settlers.

“Definitely the fear is there, but it’s definitely still a risk that I’m willing to take,” Finley said.

She is one of 705 finalists being considered for the trip. Over the past year Mars One took in more than 200,000 applications from around the world for those who want to leave Earth forever and start a new life.

“I’ve always wanted to be an astronaut,” Finley said.

Finley just got her master’s degree in geology and believes that gives her an edge over other candidates.

“Being able to study geography on a planet other than our own is an opportunity I cannot pass up,” Finley said in her taped interview.

On the Mars One website organizers say the technology to colonize is here now. They plan to first send an un-manned rover and communications satellite in 2018 to choose a living location, in 2020 send living units and supplies, and then humans by 2025.

The red planet is not exactly human ready; it has a thin un-breathable atmosphere and has sub-freezing temperatures reaching 243 degrees below zero. But Dr. Robert Zubrin believes it can happen.

“I believe what Mars One wants to do is technically possible,” he said.

Zubrin is the president of the Mars Society based in Colorado and author of the 1996 book “The Case for Mars.”

“Human’s to Mars is exactly what this country needs,” Zubrin said.

Zubrin is also an advisor to the officials at Mars One. He believes Mars is rich in iron and other minerals, has water in the form of ice, and permafrost. Its atmosphere has carbon dioxide, meaning with sunlight food can be grown in greenhouses.

“What happened in 1492?” Zubrin added. “This time will be remembered because this is when we first set sail for other world.”

He believes the problem with Mars One lies in its funding. The first big leg of the trip pulls a hefty price tag of $6 billion, and the entire project is privately funded.

“They don’t have to fund a mission, they have to fund a colony,” Zubrin said.

Finley is optimistic.

“A new step in human history,” she said.

Up next for the Wyoming-born turned Denverite are interviews with Mars One officials. She said the trip would literally be one of a lifetime.

“It hasn’t really kicked in with me that this could actually really work out,” Finley said.

Mars One officials say the final selections for the first astronauts will be in 2015.

NASA also has plans to go to Mars, but not until around 2030.

Mars One sent out a formal request for proposals for the payload on their 2018 rover. That part of the project will look at soil samples, attempt to extract water, and test solar power possibilities.

Goofy
07-10-2014, 12:17 PM
“Human’s to Mars is exactly what this country needs,” Zubrin said.

That tickled me :lol:

FBD
07-10-2014, 12:44 PM
“It hasn’t really kicked in with me that I actually volunteered to strand myself on another planet and die there, and hope I make it the 2 years where hopefully the money still exists on earth to send more companions,” Finley said.

ftfy idjit

DemonGeminiX
07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
:rip:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-10-2014, 12:53 PM
It's a cool idea and the obvious next step in manned space travel (I guess you could say we should colonize the moon before Mars, but either way...). The problem is getting there...as far as I know, there is no space vehicle even in the planning stage to transport humans to Mars. Where are they going to get the money, get the R&D done, and have a viable ship built, tested, and ready in the next 11 years?

DemonGeminiX
07-10-2014, 01:16 PM
No nation which expects to be the leader of other nations can expect to stay behind in this race for space. ... We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

-- John F. Kennedy, in a speech given at Rice University on September 12, 1962.

Apollo 11 landed on the moon on July 20, 1969. The Apollo program began in early 1960, as a successor to Project Mercury (and Project Gemini), which began in 1958. It took 11 years in total, back when we didn't have a clue about what would be needed and couldn't develop tech as well and as fast as we can today. We can get the one-way transport sorted. It'll cost a shitload, but what doesn't nowadays? The problem is long-term survival and propagation in an environment hostile to biological life.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
There also wasn't nearly as much red tape back then as there is today.

DemonGeminiX
07-10-2014, 01:31 PM
:hand:

We have scissors.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Although, being completely privately funded, there should be less red tape and road blocks to get through than there would be if this was a project run by NASA. Still, 11 years to get this done seems awfully ambitious. And even more ambitious is the plan to get the supplies/building materials shipped and on the way in 6 years.

I don't believe there is any ship built right now to carry that much cargo.

DemonGeminiX
07-10-2014, 01:36 PM
So we'll build a bigger one that can.

FBD
07-10-2014, 03:25 PM
so what do these people plan to do when their supplies run out? farm some of that red gold all over the surface up there? :lol:

perrhaps
07-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Do the semi-finalists win a weekend in the southside of Chicago?

Hal-9000
07-10-2014, 05:39 PM
“What happened in 1492?” Zubrin added. “This time will be remembered because this is when we first set sail for other world.”

That new world had food and water, resources, and it didn't require 100 tons of rocket fuel to travel there and back...oh and a little thing called 'air' too :tup:

FBD
07-10-2014, 06:48 PM
and that relatively minor detail about a magnetic field...magine the sunburn ye'd get over there....cook city

Hal-9000
07-10-2014, 06:55 PM
I realize that my username and interest in science belies my feelings on space travel in general....but until it yields some serious concrete gains, IMO space travel is a huge waste of money that could be used here on Earth to address more pressing concerns

Hal-9000
07-10-2014, 06:56 PM
for example, this trip to Mars may turn out to be the largest voluntary mass murder in history :lol:

good luck tho...

KevinD
07-10-2014, 07:08 PM
My view:

There are some basic facts in life, the biggest one is that we will all die at some point.
If I was in my 20's, with no dependents, I would be all over this. People take chances all the time in hospitable environments right here on Earth all the time (think the ocean)
My concerns would be as stated previously, what about supplies, etc. Is the colony to be self supporting? and as others have stated, I doubt it can/will happen that fast.
I think it HAS to be done at some point. We, as a species, eventually have to get off this planet to continue evolving, much less surviving.
I've had discussions with my wife and daughters. They all know that if there was a chance at all for me to go to space, I would do it with no reservations at all. Yes, I'd miss them, but, the boy in me has never outgrown wanting to be a spaceman.

Hal-9000
07-10-2014, 07:13 PM
My view:

There are some basic facts in life, the biggest one is that we will all die at some point.
If I was in my 20's, with no dependents, I would be all over this. People take chances all the time in hospitable environments right here on Earth all the time (think the ocean)
My concerns would be as stated previously, what about supplies, etc. Is the colony to be self supporting? and as others have stated, I doubt it can/will happen that fast.
I think it HAS to be done at some point. We, as a species, eventually have to get off this planet to continue evolving, much less surviving.
I've had discussions with my wife and daughters. They all know that if there was a chance at all for me to go to space, I would do it with no reservations at all. Yes, I'd miss them, but, the boy in me has never outgrown wanting to be a spaceman.

For sure, I agree with the point that we will have to get off of this planet at one point. But up until this point in time we have only sent 3 people to the moon for a short time, and they lived in the environment of the ship that brought them there.

We need to try baby steps in terms of self sufficient living off-world.

FBD
07-10-2014, 07:57 PM
My view:

Right, saw on the news last night some guy diving into some crazy shit to save this teen that had either went in or fallen in, this rocky little inlet with vicious waves...fuuuuuck....but I know I would have done the same, there was a quiet point and he went for it and saved the kid.

I'd love to go to space also, moon, no problem, but mars? elsewhere? with current tech? fuuuuuuck that :lol: I do crazy shit, some of which could have killed me in the past, but I would never* enter into some shit knowing there was no way out of it.

*if we're talking attacking a bear to save one's child or something, that is different...