PDA

View Full Version : Amid gangland shootings, Chicago leaders call for federal resources

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2014, 10:47 AM
By Mike Tobin - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/PMMDZWt.jpg

Jasmine Curry, a mother of five and five months pregnant, lay dead along Chicago’s Dan Ryan expressway Wednesday morning, the latest victim in Chicago’s epidemic of gunfire with a bullet to the head.

It was uncommon that she was shot on the expressway, not uncommon that someone from her neighborhood was killed. In fact, Jasmine was not even the first person in her family to be gunned down.

“Now I have to bury another child,” said her father, Pierre Curry, sometimes weeping, sometimes with a matter of fact callousness. “I had to bury my last-born last year. I have to bury my first-born this year.”

The gangland vendettas raged on the South and West Sides of Chicago over the holiday weekend. Thirteen people were killed, another 58 wounded as the bullets flew. Police were fired on and in at least five incidents, they returned fire, killing two.

From the basement of the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church,Rev. Jesse Jackson inferred that city leaders in Chicago could not handle the violence on their own and federal resources were needed to control the flow of illegal weapons.

“We’re crying out, the FBI must intervene,” he said.

Jackson also demanded federal funds to rebuild the blighted communities that are incubators for the gun violence.

“If we can find the money necessary to help children on the borders,$2 billion can come to Chicago to make where we live safe and secure,” Jackson said. “We deserve safety. We’re not getting safety.”

Like Jackson, Mayor Rahm Emanuel also appealed for federal resources. Also like Jackson, he stopped short of pointing directly at President Obama.

“I wouldn’t put this at the president’s door,” he said. “I would put this at the door of Washington, D.C. This has been a long time where they stopped investing in our children. They need to start investing in our kids.”

For Emanuel, the problem is more complicated than armed FBI agents, an influx of money, new laws or a police crackdown. There are cultural issues, moral issues, a lack of jobs or alternatives for gangland youths. He frequently preaches his “Four P’s”: policing, penalties for guns getting in the hands of violent criminals, prevention and parenting. The absence of that last item makes poor, young men so easy to indoctrinate in the street gangs.

Illinois Governor Pat Quinn said he discussed sending some resources to the state’s largest city. “If the city of Chicago needs the help of the State Police, at any time, all they have to do is call,” he said, without indicating that Emanuel took him up on the offer.

RBP
07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I called this one. My comment was, "Americans in impoverished shitholes, with no economic development, are going to look at the sudden ability to come up with $3.7 Billion for border felons and get pissed off..."

If we can find the money necessary to help children on the borders, $2 billion can come to Chicago to make where we live safe and secure

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2014, 11:33 AM
And I'm sure if the Feds suddenly gave the city of Chicago $2 billion, it wouldn't get wasted at all :thumbsup:

Pony
07-11-2014, 11:41 AM
They could buy better guns and invest in target practice at the range, Get the kill percentage up to about 70% and the problem will sort itself out.

Pony
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM
And I'm sure if we sent federal help there to deal with the gang problems and they started arresting and killing gang members Jackson would be patting them on the back for their help.

FBD
07-11-2014, 01:55 PM
what do the feds have to do with this, its the corrupt assholes that run chicago that have manifested this mess

perrhaps
07-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Lemons and lemonade, gentlemen.

When them wetback kids cross the border, put them in cattle cars; drop them off in Chiraq with cheap handguns and three crisp new Benjamins.

It'll be like stomping two cockroaches with one shoe.

RBP
07-11-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't remember a thread with more sarcasm. Awesome. :lol:

I can see that everyone is, like me, getting so disgusted that we can't do anything but make fun of the ridiculousness.

Loser
07-11-2014, 07:16 PM
There's a reason I moved outa chiraq. ;)

FBD
07-11-2014, 07:17 PM
braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains :lol:

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 09:58 PM
They could buy better guns and invest in target practice at the range, Get the kill percentage up to about 70% and the problem will sort itself out.

I had the same thought...on a semi-serious note, what happens when thugs run out of targets in Chiraq? Do they travel east/west/south looking for new and more exciting game?

RBP
07-11-2014, 10:12 PM
I had the same thought...on a semi-serious note, what happens when thugs run out of targets in Chiraq? Do they travel east/west/south looking for new and more exciting game?

Jasmine Curry, a mother of five and five months pregnant, lay dead along Chicago’s Dan Ryan expressway Wednesday morning, the latest victim in Chicago’s epidemic of gunfire with a bullet to the head.

Not to worry, they breed their own range targets.

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Honestly RBP

With these stats do you become worried when you're out and about? Civilians in problem areas tend to ignore the stress/danger, thinking it's part of everyday life..." eh, if it happens, it happens"

Just going by the articles the number of shootings seems to be escalating monthly...or is it just par for the course?

RBP
07-11-2014, 10:23 PM
Honestly RBP

With these stats do you become worried when you're out and about? Civilians in problem areas tend to ignore the stress/danger, thinking it's part of everyday life..." eh, if it happens, it happens"

Just going by the articles the number of shootings seems to be escalating monthly...or is it just par for the course?

It doesn't concern me one bit. Chicago remains a segregated city. The animals generally stay in their cages. The police actually pay the gang leaders to stay in the hood.

I am trying to think of a Canadian metaphor. :-k

Let's say one that all the violent brawls over maple syrup all occurred at the same hockey rink, and only at that hockey rink. If you just hung out at Tim Horton's in a different neighborhood, you wouldn't feel intimidated by the violence.

How was that? :lol:

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 10:28 PM
you had to bring up maple syrup and Tim Hortons :lol:

we live in cities just like you, except gun violence is a front page thing and talked about for months (the one incident every three years that occurs) :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 10:31 PM
I recall a drive by shooting that happened years ago here. It happened on one of the major routes I use to drive home. They shut the bridge down and allowed one lane traffic for almost 24 hours. When I drove by they had the little yellow evidence placards on the road, must have been about 20 of them.

I later found out that one car, shot at another car...3 rounds fired.

Kinda disappointing for all of the hoopla :lol:

:oops:

RBP
07-11-2014, 10:31 PM
you had to bring up maple syrup and Tim Hortons :lol:

we live in cities just like you, except gun violence is a front page thing and talked about for months (the one incident every three years that occurs) :thumbsup:

Perhaps, "slightly uncomfortable but polite disagreements over maple syrup" would have been more realistic. :P

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Perhaps, "slightly uncomfortable but polite disagreements over maple syrup" would have been more realistic. :P

:beatdown:

Funny, we have a bunch of tourists in town this week for our Stampede and some of them were asking some serious questions about our environment. A radio DJ lost his mind and screamed a great rant - Yes we all live in effin igloos, we use dogsleds to go to effin work, we kill baby seals and we bleed effin maple syrup if you cut us. Now get the hell out of our VILLAGE and go back to where you came from!!! :x

:lol: this was on a day when the temperature was 31C (88F) and I guess a tourist legitimately asked - What happens to all of the igloos when the temp gets hot?

I can't do justice to his rant but you'd think they could observe that we are a city of over a million people and just by observing all of the traffic, fashion, shopping malls, tech etc, that we're really not any different that other major cities.

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Ooooooooh, what you're saying is that you live in a posh white gated neighborhood and don't travel down to the danger zone

:tup:

RBP
07-11-2014, 10:41 PM
So... what DOES happen to the igloos? :-k

RBP
07-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Ooooooooh, what you're saying is that you live in a posh white gated neighborhood and don't travel down to the danger zone

:tup:

:lol: not even close.

I am actually outside the city limits now, but even when I was living in the city proper, I never went to the shitholes. Why would I?

White people get pulled over there because they are either lost or looking for drugs. #racialprofiling

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 10:48 PM
:lol: not even close.

I am actually outside the city limits now, but even when I was living in the city proper, I never went to the shitholes. Why would I?

White people get pulled over there because they are either lost or looking for drugs. #racialprofiling

I've never seen the footprint or layout of Chicago. Since I never leave my city it's a bit of an interest of mine, to see other cities through photos and maps.

New York and Hong Kong are my favorites.

I know you're near a body of water and that's about it :lol:

Hal-9000
07-11-2014, 10:51 PM
So... what DOES happen to the igloos? :-k

The runoff goes into special sewers and travels directly to Tim Horton franchises to make coffee :thumbsup:

:lol: I joke but you only have to spend one day in a Canuck city and observe how many people go to Tim's for coffee....it's amazing.

*my addiction is now up to 3, XL triple triples per day. (3 cream, 3 sugar in a giant cup)

RBP
07-11-2014, 11:18 PM
I've never seen the footprint or layout of Chicago. Since I never leave my city it's a bit of an interest of mine, to see other cities through photos and maps.

New York and Hong Kong are my favorites.

I know you're near a body of water and that's about it :lol:

The city proper is like 230 sq mi, so maybe 21 miles long and 11 miles wide, roughly. There are ghettos south and west that are no go zones and what you hear about in the news. That is Chiraq.

If you were a visitor here and didn't watch local news, you'd never know this incredible, beautiful city on Lake Michigan is anything but an expensive joy to behold.

And that's only about 2.5 Million of the roughly 10 million that live in the metro area. Half the population of the state lives in like 2500 sq miles concentrated around Chicago.

My guess would be that of the roughly 1 Million blacks in the city, maybe a 100,000 are in the war zones.

Loser
07-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Daley cause all this when the asshat tore down the housing projects and displaced em all.

They were concentrated in about a 2 square mile section on the south side, but he tore all the projects down for condo's...:clap:

RBP
07-12-2014, 02:26 AM
Daley cause all this when the asshat tore down the housing projects and displaced em all.

They were concentrated in about a 2 square mile section on the south side, but he tore all the projects down for condo's...:clap:

The creation of the Robert Taylor homes is classic Chicago. The way that went down was old man Daley decided that high rise public housing was the way to go, but the location was too close to his home neighborhood of Bridgeport. So what did he do? He commissioned the construction of what was, at the time, the widest interstate highway ever constructed to be built between the projects and his neighborhood.

Nothing to see here. Move along. :lol:

Pony
07-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Maybe invest some money in building the Great Wall of Chiraq?

Loser
07-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Never been to state line between lansing illi and hammond indi? :lol:

They did exactly that.

Loser
07-12-2014, 10:32 PM
On the border between indiana and illinois...

http://i62.tinypic.com/2dr9rao.jpg

DemonGeminiX
07-12-2014, 11:18 PM
20 shot overnight. 2 have died.

RBP
07-13-2014, 12:30 AM
20 shot overnight. 2 have died.

The night is young.

Loser
07-13-2014, 02:21 AM
http://donnienicole.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/chiraq.jpeg