PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Santana scolds Georgia for new immigration law

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 09:55 PM
By CHARLES ODUM - AP Sports Writer

Carlos Santana on Sunday used baseball's annual Civil Rights Game as a platform to admonish Georgia and Arizona for their new immigration laws.

Santana received the Beacon of Change Award before the Braves-Phillies game.

The Grammy-winning musician said he was representing immigrants before adding: "The people of Arizona, and the people of Atlanta, Georgia, you should be ashamed of yourselves."

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal on Friday signed a bill that cracks down on illegal immigration in the state. The bill requires many employers to check the immigration status of new hires and authorizes law enforcement officers to check the immigration status of some suspects.

Georgia's new law shares some similarities to one enacted last year in Arizona.

"This law is not correct. It's a cruel law, actually," Santana said in an impromptu news conference after the ceremony. "This is about fear. Stop shucking and jiving. People are afraid we're going to steal your job. No we aren't. You're not going to change sheets and clean toilets."

Added Santana: "This is the United States. This is the land of the free. If people want the immigration laws to keep passing, then everybody should get out and leave the American Indians here."

Rev. Jesse Jackson presented the Beacon of Life Award to Cubs Hall of Famer Ernie Banks.

"I haven't done anything to earn it, but I appreciate it," Banks said.

Former Dodgers pitcher Don Newcombe presented the Beacon of Hope Award to actor Morgan Freeman, who wore a Braves jacket and a Negro Leagues Atlanta Black Crackers cap.

Al Roker, co-host of NBC's The Today Show, was the moderator for the ceremony and introduced a video tribute to Braves Hall of Famer Hank Aaron, who received a standing ovation from his hometown fans.

The Braves and Phillies wore throwback uniforms from the 1974 season, the year Aaron broke Babe Ruth's career home run record.

Two leaders of the civil rights movement in Atlanta, former Mayor Andrew Young and the Rev. Joseph Lowery, went to the mound for the ceremonial first pitches, thrown to two African-American stars - Phillies slugger Ryan Howard and Atlanta's Jason Heyward.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig attended the ceremony.

This is baseball's fifth Civil Rights Game. The first event was in Memphis in 2007.

"Anytime you can honor the people that changed the game, it's a good thing," said Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro.

The game also will return to Atlanta in 2012.

"I think it's the perfect city to host this," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

Muddy
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Shut your mouth and play the god damn guitar..

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't be trying to hold him down there whitey :nono:

Hugh_Janus
05-16-2011, 10:02 PM
is he even american? Tell him to fuck off :lol:

KevinD
05-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Hmm, does this mean Carlos's legality needs to be checked? lol

I actually don't really understand the furor over immigration laws on the state level. From what I have read, the are pretty much the same as the federal laws, but, since the fed isn't enforcing them properly, the states are taking it upon themselves to do so. IMHO, immigration, falling under the general "protection of the nation" should be enforced on a federal level.

Muddy
05-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Im gonna throw my fucking Santana albums away.... Why cant these people understand we dont want illegal aliens here... :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Im gonna throw my fucking Santana albums away.... Why cant these people understand we dont want illegal aliens here... :lol:

Because somehow wanting to protect the integrity and sovereignty of our country and not wanting to just give all the illegals everything for free makes us all racist :|

Muddy
05-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I mean you know... Come through Ellis Island like the friggin rest of us... All this Indian Bullshit they want to throw in our faces... My people came through a process... We didn't just sneak across the border...

Hugh_Janus
05-16-2011, 10:09 PM
illegals get free stuff?

*books flight to mexico*
:dance:

AntZ
05-16-2011, 10:12 PM
I was a fan of his for many years, but his Marxist, La Raza, Chicano Power, and Che Guevara loving horse shit is making it impossible for me to even listen to his music anymore! :rolleyes:

Just shut the fuck up and play!

http://i51.tinypic.com/v5e808.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I mean you know... Come through Ellis Island like the friggin rest of us... All this Indian Bullshit they want to throw in our faces... My people came through a process... We didn't just sneak across the border...

You're preaching to the choir dude

illegals get free stuff?

*books flight to mexico*
:dance:

You'll probably get killed in the drug wars going on down there before you can make it to the border to sneak across

Hugh_Janus
05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I just wanna rip those motherfucking glasses off his face :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2011, 10:15 PM
I was a fan of his for many years, but his Marxist, La Raza, Chicano Power, and Che Guevara loving horse shit is making it impossible for me to even listen to his music anymore! :rolleyes:

Just shut the fuck and play!

http://i51.tinypic.com/v5e808.jpg

I wonder who he thinks bought all his albums and went to his concerts to make him rich? You can sure as hell be sure it wasn't the illegals doing it.

Muddy
:lol: @ Hugh..

Hugh_Janus
You'll probably get killed in the drug wars going on down there before you can make it to the border to sneak across

you forgot about my zombie apocalypse ninja skills :slap:

RBP
05-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Suck my santana, asshole.