PDA

View Full Version : Australian Federal Government considers charging drivers per kilometre to pay for roads

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2014, 11:22 AM
by: Jessica Marszalek National Politics Reporter - News.com.au

http://i.imgur.com/UUhbzFM.jpg

THE Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre they travel in order to pay for roads.

A final report into infrastructure by the Productivity Commission has recommended pilot technical studies of how cars and light vehicles might be charged.

It recommends adopting telematics, which can monitor a vehicle’s location and movements in real time.

“The application of a charging mechanism created by rapidly changing communications technology appears promising,” the report says.

“Importantly, these trials would introduce direct user charges as a substitute for other taxes, such as the fuel excise.”

The report suggests each state and territory hold its own road fund to pay for new roads, upgrades and maintenance.

States and territories would be best placed to decide where money needed to be spent.

Despite Prime Minister Tony Abbott saying in March road-user charging was “unlikely to ever be adopted by any government”, Assistant Infrastructure Minister Jamie Briggs said the Government was considering all aspects of the report.

Noting the majority of recommendations were relevant to state governments, Mr Briggs said the Government would consult with them before releasing its formal response.

He said issues relating to road-user charging would be considered as part of the Federal Government’s broader reform agenda.

“There are already a number of initiatives on user charging already under way,” Mr Briggs said.

That included consultation with motoring clubs and industry bodies on potential road-user charge models.

The fuel excise is due to rise twice yearly under a Budget proposal, but legislation has not yet passed Parliament.

FBD
07-15-2014, 12:37 PM
old cars ftw

what a dumb shit idea

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2014, 12:38 PM
With more and more hybrids and electrics here in the US, I can guarantee this idea will gain more steam in this country. You watch, they will start pushing for it harder and harder here.

KevinD
07-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Upper west coast (US) has been pushing this for a couple years now.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I'm talking about the Feds, not just local/state governments

KevinD
07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Gotcha. Perhaps this will be Barry's next thing. He's been yammering about bridges and roads again.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Yeah, the House is looking at a $10+ billion highway funds bill or something, saw a headline for it. More money we don't have to spend.

lost in melb.
07-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I thin they do this already for heavy trucks. Understandable as they chew up the roads. There is some merit in the idea, but do we really want logs kept of how far we travel. Doesn't fuel tax incorporate this already?

KevinD
07-15-2014, 01:25 PM
I disagree (but that's okay), no, and yes.

lost in melb.
07-15-2014, 01:29 PM
I disagree (but that's okay), no, and yes.

I think we kind of half agree...perhaps fuel tax is enough for cars.

Our highway from Sydney to Melbourne is all cracked in the left lane from long-haul trucks though...don't you think they should foot a bit extra for the privilege?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Our highway from Sydney to Melbourne is all cracked in the left lane from long-haul trucks though...don't you think they should foot a bit extra for the privilege?

They already do, they use A LOT more fuel and therefore pay a lot more in fuel tax. And if Oz is like the US, the diesel tax is already higher than the gasoline tax.

lost in melb.
07-15-2014, 01:40 PM
They already do, they use A LOT more fuel and therefore pay a lot more in fuel tax. And if Oz is like the US, the diesel tax is already higher than the gasoline tax.

Interesting, I just checked and the taxation rate is indeed higher for standard diesel. Now all they need to do is direct that bit of taxation back to the roads in question.

lost in melb.
07-15-2014, 01:44 PM
I think on reflection I'm inclined away from this tax - not because I disagree in principle, but because the tax monies will probably get swallowed in red tape and squandered elsewhere

FBD
07-15-2014, 02:31 PM
like pretty much every other tax out there ;)

lost in melb.
07-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I think road tax in particular - hard to keep track of

FBD
07-15-2014, 02:53 PM
...like everything else that falls inside the government black hole...

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef017c35e2c9cc970b-pi

:dance:

KevinD
07-15-2014, 04:40 PM

In the US, most states charge extra for commercial vehicle registration, and all of the registration charge (tax, including private cars/trucks) is based on weight among other things. So, not only do long haul trucks pay more in taxes for fuel, they also pay more in registration. The $ is there for road maintenance, the government wastes it though. Cut out the fraud and waste, and direct the monies where it's supposed to go, problem solved.