PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Chiefs cheerleader Wray says MMA loss 'was the same feeling as dying'

Teh One Who Knocks
07-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Sean Keeler - FOX Sports Kansas City

http://i.imgur.com/9dOB8e3.jpg

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- To be perfectly honest, Rachel Wray doesn't remember all the details. But the stuff she does remember, she sure as hell doesn't want to go through ever again.

"I've been choked out many times before and none of them were like this," Wray, the former Kansas City Chiefs cheerleader-turned-MMA fighter, tells FOXSportsKansasCity.com. "This time was different. I was so scared. I felt like that was the same feeling as dying."

The Arkansas-based Wray returned to the mat for her first competitive bout in more than a year Saturday as the co-main event at Attitude MMA Fights II in Lakeland, Tenn., just outside Memphis.

It was over quickly.

Jamie "The Pretty Assassin" Clinton won Attitude's 135-pound women's title by submission in the first round -- a guillotine choke that led Wray to black out.

"You just stop existing," recalls Wray, a member of the Chiefs' cheerleading squad in 2011 and 2012. "As I started to wake up, that was the scariest part. I had no clue who any of the people were crowded around me. No idea where I was or why I was there. It felt like another dimension or something.

"I really can't even describe it in words, but it's not something I ever want to experience again. It was scary to the point of traumatizing me a little bit. I keep having these little flashbacks of that feeling, and it's really scary."

You can see how scary for yourself, as Clinton posted a video of the bout -- she's the one in the light trunks, the one doing most of the kicking and punching -- on YouTube this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBHzJn3KVJU

In hindsight, Wray says, she wishes she hadn't taken the fight, noting that she'd taken a kick under the eye in June, suffering a cut and a concussion in the process.

"Not that that's an excuse for losing, but it definitely affected me," said Wray, whose amateur record dipped to 2-2. "I wasn't used to getting hit that hard."

But the bad feeling -- or lack of feeling, in this case -- doesn't necessarily end there.

Wray says she felt the referee waited too long to end the bout and was told by her camp that she might not have been properly handled while unconscious by Attitude MMA's ring doctor.

"Everyone knows you're supposed to put the person's feet up first, to get blood flow to their brain," Wray says. "I was out for a long time. Almost to the point where I could've had brain damage.

"I'm sad I lost, yes; however, I am absolutely livid with how uneducated and unprofessional this promotion was, and their mistakes could've risked my life. I will never fight for them again, that's for sure."

But Wray also understands that her take could be perceived in some corners as a case of sour grapes, and Attitude MMA made a point to deny there was any risk to her health during or after the event.

"Fighter safety is always a top concern of ours," Mike Kooistra, creative director with Attitude MMA, told FOXSportsKansasCity.com via e-mail. "And as with all of our fight events, we had experienced medical professionals on hand to ensure the well-being of our participants. (The physician) assessed Rachel after she was submitted and if there was any further need for medical attention, I assume he would have taken action.

"We hope nothing but the best for Rachel and her future endeavors, inside and outside the ring."

Exactly what that future holds, fight-wise, remains up in the air -- although Wray hopes to return to a card before the end of this year, perhaps as soon as September.

"People don't realize how dangerous (MMA) actually is," Wray says. "But that's part of the sport and why only a small percentage of people in this world are brave enough to get in there.

"And it doesn't scare me one bit. I still love this sport more than anything and I can't wait to get back in there. This hasn't turned me away from the sport one bit."

PorkChopSandwiches
07-16-2014, 04:23 PM
The ref did fuck up

FBD
07-16-2014, 04:40 PM
in the ref's defense, the blonde had all her limbs pretty well tied up, it was just about impossible to tap out, and it was really only about a 3 count past unconsciousness.

the blonde....wtf is she even thinking being in the ring? you call raising your arm up a "punch?" and then just basically putting yourself right into a chokehold?

that girl got NO business being in the ring. just another lil skinny that thinks she's tough.

I remember a couple girls like that back in high school, that thought we werent *that* badass because we were pole vaulting. ok bitch, here, give it a try, let us laugh at you :haha:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-16-2014, 05:01 PM
You could hear everyone yelling "shes out shes out" That ref had as much business being there as that weak fighter

FBD
07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
true, watched it again and it was a good 6-7 count of wait a minute there's a conspicuous lack of action...

Hal-9000
07-16-2014, 06:19 PM
ffs we used to tilt each other's heads back and press two fingers on the carotid arteries causing a pass out....then get right back up and do it again :lol:

another bit of evidence showing how MMA is a show, not a real fight...

"omg I felt like I was dead when I was unconscious!"

listen lady, if you're any kind of fighter you should have already felt that on your feet while getting hit.....quit being such a cheerleader

PorkChopSandwiches
07-16-2014, 06:23 PM
another bit of evidence showing how MMA is a show, not a real fight...

Are you serious? MMA is the only thing close to a real fight.

FBD
07-16-2014, 06:28 PM
and even at that, it aint even close to a real fight. but its the closest thing available....much beyond MMA and we might as well be having roman gladiator fights

Hal-9000
07-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Completely. I've watched black belt competitions and accreditation where they have to knock each other out. Once at my bro in law's dojo.

I agree with him - If the two MMA fighters have belts in this this and that, they would never slap punch each other and no match would last over 5 minutes.

They either lie about their background in fighting or do some serious pulling of kicks and punches.

simple version - two real black belts don't hit each other in the face with close fisted punches and full extension kicks for 15 minutes degenerating into a ground submission struggle. That's all poser shit for the crowd.

Don't get me wrong, those guys are tough and in shape and can take a hit.....just not very many real hits :winkysmile:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-16-2014, 06:32 PM
I disagree to the fullest.

Goofy
07-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Boxing ftw! :cheers: None of this cuddling on the ground pish :hand: Stand up and take a punch like a man :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Boxing ftw! :cheers: None of this cuddling on the ground pish :hand: Stand up and take a punch like a man :tup:

Oh please, boxing is the worst.

Hal-9000
07-16-2014, 06:43 PM
I disagree to the fullest.

Muay Thai boxing is very real

Boxing is real

MMA not so much

disagree all you want...just google real kung fu knockouts and watch how it happens in one hit, usually within one round. If those MMA guys have multiple belts their matches would be much shorter and full of KO's.

There's one with a supposed muay thai champ going against a kung fu black belt with boxing gloves...the kung fu guy drops him with two 'regular' punches at 1:45 of the first round.

FBD
07-16-2014, 07:11 PM
the difference hal, is the ground. ground is out of the rules in those sports, and it is very much in for MMA.

and like most fights....they go to the ground.

its why kimbo slice couldnt hang in MMA - no ground game

"easier" to make someone submit than to knock them out standing. not that they dont try...but the placement has to be VERY good if you're going to win on your feet in an MMA match.

Hal-9000
07-16-2014, 07:27 PM
I can only go on what I've been taught, being hit and throwing hits and what I've seen in dojos.

I'd never walk up to a MMA guy and tell him it's fake and he's a pussy and I will never fight in a MMA match. I have no doubt there are underground cage matches/MMA fights that are real. The stuff on TV however will always be dodgy, ever since the Gracie brothers admitted that they rigged matches when it was UFC.

My bro in law has a black belt in Tiger Claw (the real deal), 2 other black belts and he trains fighters at his dojo in Victoria. I have to agree with what he says about MMA because of his knowledge of the disciplines. We watched a fight where one guy supposedly had three belts in various martial arts. My bro in law was laughing by the first minute because of the guy's horrible style and lack of defensive movements.

Eees my opinion only senor....but I have knocked people out before, been hit so hard I almost fell over and have been to a gym or two where folks are really fighting :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-16-2014, 07:42 PM
ever since the Gracie brothers admitted that they rigged matches when it was UFC.

Do you have anything to back that, I have never heard that and I have followed UFC since the beginning when there was no rules

FBD
07-16-2014, 08:45 PM
hal :lol: I didnt know we were talking about actual fighting, I thought we were talking about sports! :razz:

real fight, yes, your brother is absolutely correct, "training for MMA" does have its gaps and flaws that will get found a quickly exploited by some one well classically trained. training for MMA is not training for a real fight, its training for a spar with rules.

Hal-9000
07-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Do you have anything to back that, I have never heard that and I have followed UFC since the beginning when there was no rules

It was before Royce's steroid scandal...him and a brother admitted to fight fixing and paid a fine. Just did a minimal search and can't find anything....but you should trust my memory

PAUL WALKER MUTHAFUCKER :lol:

The fix allegations may have been wiped from public record but he did admit to fixing for an outcome, not fake punching/holds etc...

that Royce dude was fierce with the jujitsu etc....no fakery there :thumbsup: