PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's Employees Stayed After Work to Fix a Vietnam Vet's Wheelchair

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Jay Hathaway - Gawker

http://i.imgur.com/e59QMol.jpg

Michael Sulsona, a Vietnam War veteran who lost both legs to a land mine 40 years ago, has been struggling with the Department of Veterans Affairs for the last two years in an attempt to get his worn-out wheelchair replaced. Last week, during a trip to a Staten Island Lowe's, his chair broke down again.

According to a letter Sulsona sent to the Staten Island Advance, three of the store's employees moved quickly to help him, setting him up with a temporary chair while they got to work fixing his.

He wrote:

They took the wheelchair apart and replaced the broken parts and told me, "We're going to make this chair like new."

I left 45 minutes after closing hours in my wheelchair that was like new.

I kept thanking them and all they could say was, "It was our honor."

The actions of these three employees at Lowe's showed me there are some who still believe in stepping to the plate.

They didn't ask any questions, didn't feel the need to fill out any forms or make phone calls. Someone needed help and they felt privileged to be given the opportunity.

The story caught the attention of the notoriously broken VA, which tried to save face by finally giving Sulsona the new wheelchair he had applied for years ago.

"I'd hate to cheapen what [the VA] did, but isn't that their job? I should have had the chair I was entitled to, but because of red tape, I never got a chair until now," Sulsona told The Advance.

http://i.imgur.com/a611phd.jpg

He prefers to keep the focus on the hardware store employees who dropped everything to help him out.

"This whole story is based around three good guys," he said. "I think it's really important that we all be like these people who wanted to help me; things would be so much easier."

Goofy
07-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Bit dusty in here.......

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2014, 11:38 AM
It's stories like this that help restore a little bit of my faith in humanity

Pony
07-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Great story! I'm just glad it wasn't followed by a story about Lowes firing them all for misuse of company time or some BS like that.

FBD
07-17-2014, 12:59 PM
It's stories like this that help restore a little bit of my faith in humanity

or have some faith that there's actually a substantial enough percentage of us to actually matter...

Teh One Who Knocks
07-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Great story! I'm just glad it wasn't followed by a story about Lowes firing them all for misuse of company time or some BS like that.

From another story:

In a statement, Chris DiMaria, store manager at the Staten Island Lowe's, said he couldn't "be more proud of his team or company."

Hal-9000
07-17-2014, 04:55 PM
that's what makes this story...above....management says we couldn't be more proud of the team

:thumbsup:

Hal-9000
07-17-2014, 05:03 PM
In a completely unrelated story, one Christmas we had about 2 feet of snow and I was out shopping. Saw an older gent get out of his car... crawl out and head towards the trunk.

I asked if he needed a hand, I assembled his chair and helped lift him into it...

the trust was amazing....he gave me his keys, both the door and trunk wide open, him crawling around on the ground...I could have driven away with his car.

I asked if I could push him through the snow up to the store entrance, his response verbatim - Son, you've done more than most people would and no offense, it will embarrass me if you have to push me across this lot in this snow. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas.

He then proceeded to wheel his chair through the slush and snow, where I was having troubles walking through it. Strong and kind man, I'll never forget him.

redred
07-17-2014, 06:23 PM
extra 45 minutes after work and look at the happiness :tup:

Hal-9000
07-17-2014, 06:40 PM
they got 1.5 OT hours and shit ton of good publicity too, win win win

Muddy
07-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Thats nice and all, but really who the fuck wouldnt have stayed after and helped this guy? :lol:

perrhaps
07-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Thats nice and all, but really who the fuck wouldnt have stayed after and helped this guy? :lol:

Eric Holden; Lois Lerner; Dick(less) "Lionheart" Cheney; John Boehner; Harry Reid, or any of the other countless, selfish pricks who've been involved in American politics for the last 30 years or so.

Hal-9000
07-17-2014, 08:39 PM

Kick him out, close up and call 911

job done :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2014, 10:26 AM

You don't get out much, do you?