PDA

View Full Version : It’s fried price if you can’t speak Chinese: restaurant charging English speakers 10 per cent extra per dish

Teh One Who Knocks
07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Taylor Auerbach - The Daily Telegraph

http://i.imgur.com/2sYzVH5.jpg

IT’S the Shanghai shuffle, the fried price — a Mandarin restaurant in Sydney’s CBD is charging English-speaking patrons more than 10 per cent extra per dish than their Chinese-speaking counterparts.

A serving of fried rice costs $2 more on the English menu than for people who order from the Chinese menu — *effectively a 12.7 per cent fee on English-speakers.

Yin Li Sichuan restaurant owner Diana suggested it was meant to be a secret among Asian customers.

“The Chinese menu is usually just for Chinese people, they like the Sichuan flavour,” she said.

Despite both menus using the same photos and descriptions, she denied there were any discounts for Chinese-speaking guests. “Sometimes people who come a lot get discount,” she added.

The two menus are colour-coded to help waiters quickly discern between the two. The red Chinese menu sits on the top shelf, above the black English menus.

http://i.imgur.com/iV6bOdd.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fkZ90uh.jpg

The Daily Telegraph pointed out the discrepancy in prices to a staff member at the Dixon St restaurant on Thursday night.

“The English menu is new, that’s why it’s more expensive,” she said. Both menus, however, appeared equally worn and dated.

A serving of fried rice with lettuce and beef is $17.80 on the English menu but only $15.80 for Chinese speaking customers. Mapo tofu ($16.80) and dried spicy bean ($17.80) are both $1 more if you can’t read Chinese.

The Daily Telegraph could not find any examples of cheaper dishes for English-speaking customers. The double standards have drawn the ire of the online community, with one customer labelling the restaurant “racist” in a review last year.

“Two menus — one for Chinese (cheaper) one for others (dearer),” wrote tripadvisor reviewer Stephanie. “Will never eat there again or encourage others. Racism (in) its worst form.”

Another wrote: “If you are not Chinese, do not eat here.”

It is against the law to offer goods or services at “less favourable terms or conditions” based on somebody’s race or nationality under Section 13 of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975.

But Restaurant and Catering Association chief executive John Hart said it was difficult to prove discrimination under the current law.

“It obviously doesn’t sit very comfortably,” he said.

Goofy
07-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Flied lice you plick :x

FBD
07-22-2014, 12:28 PM
This doesnt surprise me at all.

lost in melb.
07-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Good on them. Mwahahaha

perrhaps
07-22-2014, 01:46 PM
This doesnt surprise me at all.

So, it's transparently part of the conspiracy?

Muddy
07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Good on them. Mwahahaha

Good on them? For fucking over white people? :huh:

FBD
07-22-2014, 02:34 PM
So, it's transparently part of the conspiracy?

No, its just a fact of life that chinese culture is steeped in umpteen generations of this sort of thing, you know teh secret knock, the secret handshake, handshape, that connects you to things they have affinity with - so they automatically give you discount based on that mutual affinity.

I can see with this situation where its nothing more than chinese language and a rather steep premium (or a rather steep cut depending how you look at it) for being on a particular side of that equation getting to the point of unfair and quasi bigoted, though.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Fuck chinese food, its garbage anyway

redred
07-22-2014, 03:29 PM
this happens in Chinese restaurants in bristol , not sure if prices are different but i know of a few places that have different menu's for chinese diners and the food looks good

Muddy
07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Ding dong YIPPP! :x

FBD
07-22-2014, 03:31 PM
whenever I have "real chinese food" it is always VERY different than anything you see at "american chinese restaurants"

Muddy
07-22-2014, 03:33 PM
I like to suck duck embryos out of rotted eggs in Bangkok..

Teh One Who Knocks
07-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Can you imagine if white people got caught doing this?

"We no speak Chinky, you pay more now!" :x

PorkChopSandwiches
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
whenever I have "real chinese food" it is always VERY different than anything you see at "american chinese restaurants"

Agreed

FBD
07-22-2014, 04:07 PM
the only thing I aint down with is they look down on general tso's chicken :lol:

Hal-9000
07-22-2014, 06:40 PM
they can keep the monkey brains, powdered rhino horn and poison puffer fish....I already know I'm a man and my dick works most of the time :lol:

Hal-9000
07-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Can you imagine if white people got caught doing this?

"We no speak Chinky, you pay more now!" :x

We serve hamburgers here. What's that? You have black hair and brown eyes??????

:x 20% more cost for you!

Griffin
07-23-2014, 12:19 AM
An Asian lady who was trying to exchange yen for dollars.
She asked the teller, ‘Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla fo yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?’

The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, ‘Fluctuations.’

The Asian lady says, ‘Fluc you Amelicans too!’

Hal-9000
07-23-2014, 12:36 AM
An Asian lady who was trying to exchange yen for dollars.
She asked the teller, ‘Why it change? Yesterday, I get two hunat dolla fo yen. Today I only get hunat eighty? Why it change?’

The teller shrugged his shoulders and said, ‘Fluctuations.’

The Asian lady says, ‘Fluc you Amelicans too!’

The other night I was banging an Asian girl and she let out a tremendously loud fart.

Embarrassed she stammered - You maka front hole so happy that back hole cry out in glee!

MrsM
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjNRXfRXnoc

FBD
07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
they can keep the monkey brains, powdered rhino horn and poison puffer fish....I already know I'm a man and my dick works most of the time :lol:

I was going to post a clip from Glimmer man with Keenen Ivory Wayans going into the chinese medicine store to get more deer penis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_penis), but I couldnt find it :lol: