View Full Version : Hi-Tech Sting Nets Innocent Couple

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2014, 11:11 AM
By Brian Maass - CBS 4 Denver

http://i.imgur.com/9ECORcz.jpg

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (CBS4) – A series of mistakes by a south metro car dealership resulted in a retired couple from Centennial ending up in the middle of a high-risk police sting involving an electronic tracking device, pulled guns, handcuffs and a temporary arrest.

“I don’t want anyone to go through this, I don’t want anyone to go through this,” said Susan Hidalgo, 55, when interviewed about her and her husband’s unlikely arrest just blocks from their Centennial home last month.

Susan and Daniel Hidalgo had bought a $23,000, 1971 Corvette Sting Ray on June 26 from the Ed Bozarth car dealership in Lone Tree located at 8351 Parkway Drive. They took it for a drive to Evergreen that afternoon. But at about 9:30 p.m., as they were headed home, police from multiple departments pulled them over and ordered the 62-year-old grandfather and his wife to get out of the car.

“And that was when a thousand lights appeared and it looked like we were on a movie set,” said Daniel Hidalgo.

In police videos obtained by CBS4, officers can be seen removing the couple from the car at gunpoint in a “high-risk” traffic stop.

“Turn the car off now, put your hands out the window, don’t move!,” one officer can he heard shouting at the couple.

The video shows an intense felony stop with guns drawn, a police dog barking, and the couple being forced to kneel down in the street, handcuffed.

http://i.imgur.com/fSwDjzC.jpg

“Put your hands in the air,” urges an officer.

The confused couple complied, according to the videotapes.

Only later do they learn why they were targeted. According to police reports obtained by CBS4, the Bozarth dealership had “recently experienced a series of motor vehicle thefts and vehicle break-ins, and Ed Bozarth had partnered with law enforcement to place the trackers on select vehicles in an attempt to locate the responsible party(s) in the previous incidents.”

Police GPS trackers had been placed on a number of cars, so that if they were stolen, the cars could be followed and the car thieves apprehended. A sales manager at the car dealership told police “that they (the dealership) must have forgotten to notify us of the sale so that the tracker could be removed.”

http://i.imgur.com/e8f7Wgj.jpg

So the Hidalgos unknowingly drove off the lot with the GPS tracker affixed to the Corvette.

“I was terrified from the screaming — that terrified me’, said Susan Hidalgo.

She said she thought police might accidentally shoot her husband, who had insurance paperwork in one hand and his cellphone in his other hand, which she worried could have been mistaken for a gun.

“My heart was beating out of my chest. I was crying before I got out of the car. I’ve never stolen anything in my life,” she said.

Later that night, a police investigator met with Bozarth sales manager Brian Ortiz. According to a police report, “Ortiz stated that they had been busy earlier in the afternoon and that he had forgotten about the tracker on the Stingray.”

After police had determined the Hidalgos had bought the car legally they were released, but have lingering anger about what happened.

“If you buy a car you don’t expect that to happen, it’s the furthest thing from your mind asking the dealer to remove a tracking device. How would I know they put a tracking device on?” said Daniel Hidalgo. “We’re ultimately upset with the dealer and how they handled it.”

The Hidalgos said the car dealership took the Corvette back and refunded their money, and also paid for the money they had spent on gasoline for the car.

Kent Bozarth, one of the owners of the car dealership, told CBS4 they would have no “public comment” on what occurred.

Lone Tree Police Chief Jeff Streeter called the situation “very unfortunate. They should be upset. It was a very unfortunate set of circumstances. The dealership didn’t hold up their end. They dropped the ball.”

Streeter said from his perspective, officers employed standard operating procedure for a high-risk stop of suspected car thieves.

“But the moons aligned and they were stacked against the Hidalgos,” he said.

Hours after the incident, police returned to the dealership and removed tracking devices from all other vehicles on the car lot.

Chief John Jackson of the Greenwood Village Police Department, whose officers were first on scene and pulled over the Hidalgos, said his agency was investigating what happened. He said he had no indication his officers did anything wrong and it appeared they had followed proper policy and procedure in executing the high-risk stop of a suspected stolen vehicle.

FBD
07-24-2014, 12:00 PM
A sales manager at the car dealership told police “that they (the dealership) must have forgotten to notify us of the sale so that the tracker could be removed.”

:roll: so the police install something that only police can remove, seriously?

redred
07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
the trackers belong to the police why wouldn't they be removed by them :shrug: the dealership called the cops in to deal with a problem , it's the dealerships fault not the police

FBD
07-24-2014, 12:43 PM
the 'seriously' was how fuggin complicated can this really be, attaching something to a car? remove the shit and toss it back at the popo, here you go. I understand they forgot, but if they "had the ability" to remove 'em then they wouldnt have to go through the whole rigamarole.

I mean really, is there any real reason for the cops to order them on to their knees outside of acting like a pack of dogs asserting their dominance? :hand: nope, we're the POlice, and we're automatically right...

if they simply followed the normal procedure for a stop, they would have seen the registration and insurance papers....but nope, they never even got that far, so convinced they were right. yeah an ol gramp and his wife are going to break in and steal a corvette...

well, I just remembered, police arent paid to think, they are paid to obey, and in turn, make you obey.

redred
07-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Maybe they didn't know which cars they were fitted to in order to rule out an inside job

Muddy
07-24-2014, 01:40 PM
So a mistake was made?

redred
07-24-2014, 01:49 PM
So a mistake was made?

no it was all the police's fault :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2014, 01:55 PM
So a mistake was made?

A huge and unnecessary mistake that could have been easily avoided IMO. Why didn't the cops call the dealership first to verify if the car had indeed been stolen. The police went solely off the device when there was no police report filed about the vehicle being stolen. They should have done due diligence before going out there and doing a felony stop like that. It could have been very tragic ending if one of the cops had been trigger happy and mistook the guy's cell phone for a weapon.

no it was all the police's fault :lol:

In this case, yes, it was.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2014, 02:09 PM
For those not in the United States, this is what a felony traffic stop is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDj32pQ6ohY

Notice it involves a lot of cops with their guns drawn.

FBD
07-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Maybe they didn't know which cars they were fitted to in order to rule out an inside job

a good point :tup:

redred
07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Why didn't the cops call the dealership first to verify if the car had indeed been stolen.

happened at night , maybe they were closed :shrug: and i wouldn't had been reported stolen if no one was there to report it

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2014, 02:25 PM
happened at night , maybe they were closed :shrug: and i wouldn't had been reported stolen if no one was there to report it

I find it highly improbable that someone could steal a car from a dealership and someone not know, especially in a city. Every dealership I have been to in Denver metro (where this took place) has a zillion flood lights and security cameras everywhere. Most also have some kind of alarm system that would alert the dealership as well as the police that a car had been removed from the lot.

Also, although the story doesn't say explicitly, I am assuming they bought this car earlier in the day rather than later since the story states they took it for a ride in the afternoon. The dealership would have been open as most of them are open around here in the city until at least 8 PM. Plus, I'm assuming that the transponder in the device went off shortly after the car was driven off the lot. As soon as the cops got that signal, their first and only course of action should have been to contact someone at the dealership. Even after hours, places like that have ways to get hold of the owners or managers of the lot.

FBD
07-24-2014, 02:32 PM
especially when a "partnership" like this is already in place - a quick look at the transponder should have given them data to tell what dealership this was from (if they had multiple concurrent operations) and a quick phone call to the owner saying "hey, how's that stingray on your lot doing?" would have saved face for the popo, dignity for the old couple, and a sale for the dealership.

"sold it to an older couple this morning? oh, ok...got them pulled over right now, looks like someone forgot to have the transponder removed..."

and situation done.

instead its YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW WE GOT A FELONY STOP, BREAK OUT THE PISTOLS, BOYS!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2014, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/APQYCs3.png

And a quick Google search shows that this dealership was open until 9 PM on the day in question.

redred
07-24-2014, 03:07 PM
And they got pulled at 930 pm

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2014, 03:14 PM
And they got pulled at 930 pm

So you're saying, somehow, some way, that transponder, which was driven off the lot some 6 or 7 or 8 hours ago, just happened to go off right after the dealership closed and not a minute before hand?

redred
07-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Looks that way doesn't it , we only get half the story from the media and most seem anti police ,

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2014, 03:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiX7GTelTPM