PDA

View Full Version : Drone finds missing US man in 20 minutes

redred
07-24-2014, 12:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Wk0zajG.jpg

A model drone has helped locate an elderly man in Wisconsin who had been missing for three days.

Search teams using dogs, helicopters and volunteers had combed the countryside around Fitchburg seeking Guillermo DeVenecia.

The drone found Mr DeVenecia, who has Alzheimer's, about 20 minutes after its operator joined the search effort.

The success may put pressure on US rules limiting the use of drones in search and rescue operations.

Court challenge
Mr DeVenecia was spotted stumbling around in a bean field by a drone flown by David Lesh who usually uses the craft to make videos for his skiing and snowboarding business in Colorado. Mr Lesh was in Fitchburg to visit his girlfriend's family.

When he heard about the community-wide effort to locate Mr DeVenecia he decided to join in and used the drone to scout areas the missing man may have wandered into.

"I never thought that I would be using it to find somebody," Mr Lesh told NBC.

A medical check revealed Mr DeVenecia was only mildly dehydrated after his three-day sojourn and thought he had only been out for a short walk.

The case comes after the Federal Aviation Administration lost a court case brought by Texan firm EquuSearch which had been using small drones in its rescue operations.

EquuSearch was banned from using drones in February by the FAA citing rules dating from 2007 that barred commercial use of unmanned aircraft.

The court decision had no impact on the FAA's authority to regulate the use of drones, the agency told tech news site Ars Technica.

However, in March a US court found that the FAA rules banning commercial use of drones were put into force illegally because it had not done enough to solicit comment from the public. The FAA has appealed against that decision.

In addition, the FAA has said it will take another look at its rules governing drones and aim to put new rules in place by the end of 2015.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28423252

FBD
07-24-2014, 12:44 PM
quad copters ftw :woot:

perrhaps
07-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Going somewhat off-topic here, but I'd like to know your thoughts.

It seems like every few weeks or so I read about an Alzheimers patient wandering off. Their families go through a great deal of anguish before their loved one is found, sometimes dead because of exposure or other forces of nature.

My wife and I had our most recent rescue Rottweiler microchipped. If he were to go missing, he'd could be located in a matter of an hour or less. The cost was around $125.00.

Why isn't this device available for these patients?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2014, 02:15 PM

It seems like every few weeks or so I read about an Alzheimers patient wandering off. Their families go through a great deal of anguish before their loved one is found, sometimes dead because of exposure or other forces of nature.

My wife and I had our most recent rescue Rottweiler microchipped. If he were to go missing, he'd could be located in a matter of an hour or less. The cost was around $125.00.

Because microchips still need to be read with a scanner, they don't send out a beacon or anything like that.

redred
07-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Gps tagging :lol: that would break a few rights

Hal-9000
07-24-2014, 02:41 PM

That's a hell of an idea. My Mom is at the roaming stage of dementia right now and if there was a way to somehow tag them (GPS from phones...) and then use the drones to locate...I think it could work.

perrhaps
07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Gps tagging :lol: that would break a few rights

I'm only suggesting it be offered on a purely voluntary basis to legal guardians of Alzheimer patients.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Its the mark of the beast :hills:

redred
07-24-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm only suggesting it be offered on a purely voluntary basis to legal guardians of Alzheimer patients.

i like the idea :tup: makes sense for the case you put forward

Muddy
07-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Great use for these little things..

FBD
07-24-2014, 05:46 PM
That's a hell of an idea. My Mom is at the roaming stage of dementia right now and if there was a way to somehow tag them (GPS from phones...) and then use the drones to locate...I think it could work.

tell her she's been arrested and they made her wear one of these ankle bracelets...sorry ma :lol:

Hal-9000
07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
tell her she's been arrested and they made her wear one of these ankle bracelets...sorry ma :lol:

I've still got two of them little bitches attached to my ankles :lol:

deebakes
07-25-2014, 01:12 AM
why don't they just buy a chain down at the home depot and tether him up? :-k