PDA

View Full Version : Oops! Pricing goof costs gas station $21,000

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2011, 06:45 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/cEHmS.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Word spread quickly about a Los Angeles gas station selling premium unleaded for $1.10-a-gallon, but it wasn't a promotion. The owner says the too-good-to-be-true price was a computer glitch that cost him $21,000.

Long lines snaked from the pumps at the Valero station in Wilmington on Sunday. Police were even called to control traffic.

The Torrance Daily Breeze reports that within four hours, about 7,000 gallons of premium were pumped at the discounted rate.

Station owner Kenny Nguyen says the attendant on duty was busy staffing the convenience store and register.

He says a price change didn't take, so the system defaulted to the $1.10 price - a cut of more than $3 a gallon.

Nguyen hopes motorists who got the break come back and pay the real price.

DemonGeminiX
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Nguyen hopes motorists who got the break come back and pay the real price.

Bwahahahahaha...

Wait, I'm sorry... let me read that line again...

Bwahahahahahahahaha....

Pony
05-17-2011, 09:31 PM
....ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Teh One Who Knocks
05-17-2011, 09:35 PM
You two are awful :nono:

If I would have bought gas there at the wrong price, I would go back and pay the difference after finding out the error [-(

RBP
05-17-2011, 09:57 PM
You two are awful :nono:

If I would have bought gas there at the wrong price, I would go back and pay the difference after finding out the error [-(

http://i.imgur.com/GD1ny.jpg

Muddy
05-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I feel for the guy really... These gas stations arent making any money cause the price of gas is so competitive... It's the oil company making money... They make the majority of their money on the drinks and shit you buy... This fucker took a huge PERSONAL hit...

deebakes
05-18-2011, 03:54 AM
my guess is he'll be fine...

Godfather
05-18-2011, 07:02 AM
$21,000 gone in a day and he'll be fine? Where do the economics behind that come from? Maybe if he owns a series of franchises he'll be alright, but a mistake like that could easily sink the average small business. Guy is out a tanker full of gas, potentially without the capital to refill it. Have some compassion; just because it's gasoline doesn't mean everyone around is getting rich. In fact, the number of customers filling up (i.e. profits for owners) goes down when gas is this expensive.

I think their profit margin is in the neighborhood of 2-8 cents/gallon. They might do fine when you factor in sales of snacks and smokes, but lawyers and doctor would shit their pants at a one day loss like that. I'd weep.

redred
05-18-2011, 09:33 AM
sorry but when you notice a long line of cars and lots of people buying fuel you'd notice something was up and if you can't change the price on the computer you close the station down and turn off the pumps

Godfather
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Station owner Kenny Nguyen says the attendant on duty was busy staffing the convenience store and register.

And isn't the honor system worth shit anymore? Because this sure as hell isn't sticking it to 'the man.' That $21,000 isn't coming from the pocket of a Saudi oil prince or Exxon Exec. (who would likely deserve it).

I don't blame people for lining up if they were just thinking they were getting a great deal... but looking back in hindsight it shouldn't be hard to see this is a shitty shitty deal for the owner.

DemonGeminiX
05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
And isn't the honor system worth shit anymore?

Where have you been for the past 10 years?

redred
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Where have you been for the past 10 years?

in school don't you read anything GF posts :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Most of the time I just glance over it. It usually looks like this: "blah, blah, blah... Canucks... blah, blah, blah... girlie... blah, blah, blah... hockey... blah, blah, blah..."

:mrgreen:

redred
05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
:lol:

Yt Trash
05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Most of the time I just glance over it. It usually looks like this: "blah, blah, blah... Canucks... blah, blah, blah... girlie... blah, blah, blah... hockey... blah, blah, blah..."

:mrgreen:

:rofl: Dude you made me spit my coffee.

Godfather
05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Y'all are bastards :dance:

Muddy
05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Not me, biotch...