PDA

View Full Version : What If California Runs Out of Water?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-05-2014, 11:45 AM
by Patrick J. Kiger - Discovery.com

http://i.imgur.com/Yfwfaw2.jpg

It would be a great premise for a Hollywood apocalyptic disaster thriller. Imagine that after several years of devastating drought, California's supply of water gradually vanished. As the reservoirs went bone dry, in Los Angeles water would stop flowing from faucets, while in California's Central Valley, crops would wither as irrigation ceased.

To the north, in Silicon Valley, the clean rooms that produce computer chips would shut down. Eventually, as the populace grew implacably thirsty, civil order would break down, and dehydrated zombies would rampage through the streets, fighting for the last few remaining bottles of Arrowhead bottled spring water.

That movie might be fun to watch at the multiplex in Peoria, but for Californians, the scenario is a bit too close to their actual dilemma. After several winters of low rainfall, the state is in the third year of a brutal drought that has some of the state's 12 major reservoirs dipping to less than 50 percent of their historic average water levels.

To make matters worse, a just-released study by University of California-Irvine and NASA scientists shows that the Colorado River -- a source of water for California and six other states, in addition to parts of Mexico -- is becoming dangerously depleted as well.

A handful of small towns are already experiencing drinking water shortages, and 428,000 acres of irrigated farm fields -- about 5 percent of the total cropland -- has gone out of production in the Central Valley, Central Coast and Southern California due to the drought. On July 28, state officials were forced to impose a list of water conservation measures, such as banning residents from washing their cars in their driveways, and prohibiting the use of potable water in decorative fountains.

But the questions remain. If the drought continues, could California's water supply run out? And what really would happen if it did?

While the current extended drought is worrisome, water experts say that a California water apocalypse isn't yet imminent. Doug Parker, director of the California Institute for Water Resources at the University of California, says that the state typically experiences cyclical droughts lasting up to three years, so this one isn't all that unusual. And there's still enough more than enough water in the reservoirs to supply Californians until the winter.

"If we knew for sure it was going to rain a lot from November to March, we wouldn't have to worry," he explains.

But if the rain is again sparse and the drought continues, that's a different matter. Parker says that tree-ring analysis shows that centuries ago, before the European colonization of California, the state experienced much longer parched periods of 30 to 50 years. Back then, of course, California didn't have sprawling cities, industry and vast farm fields that needed water. Now, it does.

"There is an apocalyptic side to it," says Jay Famiglietti, a University of California-Irvine professor of earth science and civil and environmental engineering, who also works as a water scientist for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. "What happens if the drought continues for two or three more years? It starts to become an emergency, disaster scenario."

But it probably would be a slow-motion apocalypse, experts say. Currently, the state gets about a third of its water supply from groundwater, but if the drought continued and the reservoirs started to bottom out, officials would start pumping greater quantities of water from the aquifers to take its place.

The problem is that nobody's quite sure how much groundwater is down there. The best available estimate, according to Famiglietti, is that there's enough to last 50 years at current usage levels. "But if we start draining it at three times the rate, that changes everything," he says. "We'd be looking at running out of groundwater in maybe 15 years."

Before then, though, the difficulty in meeting water demand would probably force state officials to divert water from California's farms to quench the cities' thirst, Parker says. That potentially could be ruinous to farmers, who currently use about 80 percent of the state's water.

"They're a lot more efficient in their water use than in the past, because they've been breeding crops for drought tolerance for years," he says. But it's not clear how much more they could cut back, without going broke and/or having dire effects on food availability and prices.

A severe water shortage also would require cities to import even more potable water long distances, which could lead to conflicts with other parched western states that also lay claim to it. But if that water turned out to be unavailable, Californians might have trouble finding enough to drink -- or to flush their toilets.

While some communities have turned to recycled "gray water" for use in sanitation systems, current building codes and other regulations are hindering that transition, says Famiglietti. That means a water shortage could interfere with the movement of sewage, causing a potentially serious disease risk to Californians.

The horizon for a water apocalypse is still far enough off that California would have time to act. Parker says that coastal cities, for example, could embark upon rush programs to build desalinization plants and recycle more water to reduce demand. Famiglietti says that the aging, mostly low-tech infrastructure for supplying irrigation water to farms could also be upgraded, so that scientists could use satellite data and sensors to more efficiently manage water distribution.

Even so, Famiglietti and others are hoping for intervention from the heavens. They can take some comfort in history: A previous severe drought in 1976-77, after all, was followed by a winter of heavy rains that quickly restored depleted reservoirs.

"If we get lucky and have above average rainfall next few winters everything will be fine," he says. "If we don't have that, then things are going to get really tight."

perrhaps
08-05-2014, 12:15 PM
And if Spartacus had a fleet of Blackhawk helicopters, he would have won. If, if, if...

perrhaps
08-05-2014, 12:16 PM
And if Spartacus had a fleet of Blackhawk helicopters, he would have won. If, if, if...

Muddy
08-05-2014, 02:54 PM
They go thirsty?

Muddy
08-05-2014, 02:54 PM
They look into desalinating the sea-water?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-05-2014, 02:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pdWzgQ9.png

PorkChopSandwiches
08-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Why the fuck these shitty ass CA politicians havent increased our water supply for the last 40 years is the bigger question, we have been in a drought since I can remember (back to the 70's) but have they done anything about it. No.
There was 18 million people here in the 60's and now there are 38 million with no increase in water supply

Hal-9000
08-05-2014, 06:27 PM
yo gonna haf to buy water from the Mexicali's :lol:

Hal-9000
08-05-2014, 06:27 PM
3 illegals/gallon

Hal-9000
08-05-2014, 07:32 PM
:-k

Porky, I got your back. This winter I'll rent a flatbed trailer, construct some 20 foot plastic retaining walls and wait until it fills with snow and ice (2 days probably :lol:)

then I'll send the driver down south and you'll have gallons of water on the back of the flatbed :tup:

Muddy
08-05-2014, 08:27 PM
We can run a hose to my bedroom window and when I have a nice spermy piss I will release it into the hose.

Muddy
08-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm just kidding.. I know this is serious business..

DemonGeminiX
08-05-2014, 09:52 PM
If it does start to rain, y'all need to set up rain collection reservoirs, more if you already have them.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-05-2014, 10:27 PM
If it does start to rain, y'all need to set up rain collection reservoirs, more if you already have them.

Have to check with state laws first. Not sure about California, but it's illegal to collect rainwater in Colorado except under very narrow conditions:

Collecting Rainwater Still Illegal in Much of Colorado
by Matt Corrion

Two new legislative bills were passed in Colorado this summer that seem to be causing some confusion regarding water rights. Senate Bill 09-080 and House Bill 09-1129 allow for the collection of rainwater- but only in very limited circumstances.

Many businesses and homeowners are looking for ways to be more sustainable, to save water, and to conserve resources to help their bottom line. I have been surprised to find that many people are not aware that collecting rainwater- even in a simple “rain barrel” system from your roof for use in watering a garden, is illegal in Colorado.

Historical Precedent

I think the Colorado Division of Water Resources website summarizes well the historical precedent in layman’s terms: “Colorado water law declares that the state of Colorado claims the right to all moisture in the atmosphere that falls within its borders and that ‘said moisture is declared to be the property of the people of this state, dedicated to their use pursuant’ to the Colorado constitution. As a result, in much of the state, it is illegal to divert rainwater falling on your property expressly for a certain use unless you have a very old water right or during occasional periods when there is a surplus of water in the river system. This is especially true in the urban, suburban, and rural areas along the Front Range. This system of water allocation plays an important role in protecting the owners of senior water rights that are entitled to appropriate the full amount of their decreed water right, particularly when there is not enough to satisfy them and parties whose water right is junior ro them.”

The New Laws

Senate Bill 09-080, which was passed by the general assembly and signed into law by the governor this summer, allows for limited collection and use of precipitation, but ONLY if the following conditions are met:

The property on which the collection takes place is residential property, and
The landowner uses a well, or is legally entitled to a well, for the water supply, and
The well is permitted for domestic uses according to section 37-92-602, C.R.S., and
There is no water supply available in the area from a municipality or water district, and
The rainwater is collected only from the roof, and
The water is used only for those uses that are allowed by, and identified on, the well permit.

ALL of the above criteria must be met. That does not allow anyone who is connected to a municipal water supply (ie. most homeowners) to do this. I don’t really understand the reasoning behind this law. I have a hunch that they set out to create this law to allow the average residential homeowner to collect a limited mount of rainwater, but then in the negotiations the bill was paired down to its current form- and we ended up with a meaningless law that effects only a handful of people.

Regardless, there is a lot of confusion about this law that should be cleared up. Many people I have talked to now believe they are allowed to collect rainwater when in fact they are not. Soon after the law passed, Home Depot even began selling rain barrels in their Front Range stores (and they have over 10 different models to choose from on their website). I have found the reaction of most people when they find out this is illegal is first surprise, and then usually a comment such as “well, I would probably do it anyway”, and “they would never know.”

If you are so inclined to install a rain barrel (do so at your own risk), here is a tutorial I discovered on how to make your own. Another good alternative (and perfectly legal) is to create a bioswale in your landscape.

DemonGeminiX
08-05-2014, 10:35 PM
It's legal here in Georgia, but really, laws restricting your ability to collect rainwater falling on your own land is complete and utter bullshit.

Muddy
08-06-2014, 01:47 AM
It's legal here in Georgia, but really, laws restricting your ability to collect rainwater falling on your own land is complete and utter bullshit.
100% agree.