PDA

View Full Version : Fan submits petition for Weird Al Yankovic to play Super Bowl XLIX halftime show

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2014, 01:37 PM
By Ben Rohrbach -o Shutdown Corner

http://i.imgur.com/0jkkqmK.jpg

We could be six months from Weird Al Yankovic performing at halftime of Super Bowl XLIX, and it's never too early to get excited about a national treasure of his stature gracing the world's grandest stage.

A Change.org petition (http://www.change.org/petitions/nfl-have-weird-al-yankovic-headline-the-super-bowl-xlix-halftime-show) to the NFL pleading for the song parodist's presence onstage in University of Phoenix Stadium this coming February has 7,500 signatures and climbing. It's all happening. Before you judge, let Seattle resident Ed Ball, who crafted the brilliant proposal, explain his reasoning.

For decades Weird Al has entertained fans, young and old, with his popular clever parodies and unique sense of humor. Having him headline the Super Bowl XLIX Halftime Show. would not only be overly accepted by the millions of views, but it would remain true to the standards and quality of the show business we have come to love and respect out of this prestigious event. The songs of artists that he is parodying could join him on stage to accompany, as well as other surprise appearances from well-known actors/actresses, adding more prestige and star power. The theatrics alone would be hilarious and a welcoming change, and draw a wider audience of fans that typically would not tune into the championship game or half-time show.

That's right: In case you thought this was some sort of farce, think again. This is serious business. As Ball further explains in another post on the website, he "drunkingly submitted" the petition three days ago after overhearing a Seahawks fan fawning over the potential of Justin Bieber playing Super Bowl XLIX.

"Sure, many consider Weird Al a bit, a gimmick comedic artist," Ball wrote. "But you cannot deny that he has crafted his art and been successful over the past 4 decades, gaining the respect and approval of every artist he parodies. I have loved him since I was a child, and I know he puts on a helluva live show."

Apparently, the masses agree. While it's been more than 25 years since the release of "Fat" and "UHF," Yankovic reached No. 1 on the Billborard 200 for the first time in his career with his recently released album "Mandatory Fun." And the following is a sample of a few comments posted on the petition.

"Weird Al brings out the best in us."

"A Weird Al halftime show would be the greatest there ever was."

"Why not?"

"Weird Al is amazing and my personal idol."

"He's a lyrical genius, hilarious, and deserves the opportunity!"

"Weird Al would make the best Halftime Show since NippleGate!"

OK, that last one may not be the best argument the NFL will hear over the next couple weeks, but you get the point. As SI.com points out, comedian Patton Oswalt predicted this grassroots campaign in May.

http://i.imgur.com/yB4FzJs.png

For anyone who thinks Weird Al would make a mockery of the Super Bowl halftime show, keep in mind the list of performers includes Carol Channing (twice), Indiana Jones (yup), Chubby Checker, the Blues Brothers, George Burns and Mickey Rooney (together), Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill (also together) and New Kids on the Block and Mickey Mouse (again, together). And let's not forget Elvis Presto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Mz_TkBvLA

Honestly, if Up With People was allowed to perform at four different halftime shows, it's only right the NFL lets Yankovic play one. Word began to leak that Bruno Mars would headline Super Bowl XLVIII this past September, so stay tuned. And, remember, Yankovic has one more Grammy on his mantle than Mars.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2014, 01:39 PM
I just checked, it's now over 50K signatures :thumbsup:

deebakes
08-08-2014, 01:13 AM
i would watch for the first time in years :shrug:

RBP
08-08-2014, 06:41 AM
I like it. :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2014, 10:24 AM
I like it. :tup: