PDA

View Full Version : Robin Williams Dead at 63; Oscar Winner and Comedy Legend Found Dead at Home, Sheriff's Coroner Division Suspects Suicide

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2014, 11:17 PM
By Natalie Finn - E! Online

http://i.imgur.com/pmqqoPe.jpg

Robin Williams has died.

Shockingly, suddenly, tragically, the actor was found dead at his home in Tiburon, Calif., this morning, according to the Marin County Sheriff's Office Coroner Division.

"Robin Williams passed away this morning," his rep confirmed to E! News. "He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."

Breaking news, more to come...

deebakes
08-11-2014, 11:31 PM
fucking shit, that's sad :(

:rip:

DemonGeminiX
08-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Holy shit!

:rip:

RBP
08-11-2014, 11:50 PM
That's sad. :rip:

RBP
08-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Fought it for 40 years, then succumbed. Man.

Griffin
08-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Hearing of a death is never pleasant, but this one really saddens me.

lost in melb.
08-12-2014, 01:08 AM
http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/entertainment/2014/08/11/robin_williams_dead_in_apparent_suicide/robin_williams.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

The legendary comic actor was found dead at his home in Tiburon, California
The Marin County Coroner said the cause of death was believed to be suicide due to asphyxia
His third wife Susan Schneider said: 'I lost my husband and my best friend, the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings'
Williams had battled depression for years
He won an Oscar for the 1997 film Good Will Hunting

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2722409/Robin-Williams-dies-aged-63-apparent-suicide.html#ixzz3A8W3KIm5
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

President Obama has led the tributes to Robin Williams after the comic was found dead aged 63 from an apparent suicide, police in California said on Monday night.
His wife Susan Schneider confirmed the tragic news and spoke of her ‘profound grief’. 'This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken.
'As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.'
A statement by the Marin County Sheriff's Department in California said: 'On August 11, 2014, at approximately 11:55 am, Marin County Communications received a 9-1-1 telephone call reporting a male adult had been located unconscious and not breathing inside his residence in unincorporated Tiburon, California. The male subject, pronounced deceased at 12:02 pm has been identified as Robin McLaurin Williams.'
‘The Sheriff’s Office, as well as the Tiburon Fire Department and Southern Marin Fire Protection District were dispatched to the incident with emergency personnel arriving on scene at 12pm.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/12/article-2722409-20757DB500000578-646_634x534.jpg

Williams fought drug and alcohol problems from the time he was still appearing in Mork & Mindy--right at the start of his fame.
As recently as this past July, Williams would reconnect with the 12-step program he's so often championed, this time during a brief stay at a Minnesota facility.
He was pictured meeting a worker at a local Diary Queen near the facility
Publicist Mara Buxbaum said at the time that Williams had not fallen off the wagon, but was 'taking the opportunity to fine-tune and focus on his continued commitment, of which he remains extremely proud.'
President Obama offered up a touching tribute to the Oscar winner, praising his versatility as an actor.
'Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.
'He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most - from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalised on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin's family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams.
Today in California, the sheriff said, ‘An investigation into the cause, manner, and circumstances of the death is currently underway by the Investigations and Coroner Divisions of the Sheriff’s Office.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/12/article-2722409-20758D7B00000578-759_306x423.jpg
One of his last photographs: This photograph of Robin Williams was taken in July at a local Dairy Queen in Minnesota during his stay at a rehabilitation facility which he checked himself into for treatment for alcohol addiction
+21
One of his last photographs: This photograph of Robin Williams was taken in July at a local Dairy Queen in Minnesota during his stay at a rehabilitation facility which he checked himself into for treatment for alcohol addiction
‘Preliminary information developed during the investigation indicates Mr Williams was last seen alive at his residence, where he resides with his wife, at approximately 10pm on August 10, 2014.
‘Mr Williams was located this morning shortly before the 911 call was placed to Marin County Communications.
'At this time, the Sheriff’s Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made.
‘A forensic examination is currently scheduled for August 12, 2014 with subsequent toxicology testing to be conducted.’
His wife Susan Schneider, issued a statement after the tragic news.
'This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.
'I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief.
'As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.'
His family also issued this statement on the tragic passing of the Oscar winner.
'Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late,' Mara Buxbaum, press representative, said in a statement.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/12/article-0-02049C0B0000044D-855_634x622.jpg

During a 1989 chat with The Associated Press, he could barely stay seated in his hotel room, or even mention the film he was supposed to promote, as he free-associated about comedy and the cosmos.
'There's an Ice Age coming,' he said. 'But the good news is there'll be daiquiris for everyone and the Ice Capades will be everywhere. The lobster will keep for at least 100 years, that's the good news. The Swanson dinners will last a whole millennium. The bad news is the house will basically be in Arkansas.'
Like so many funnymen, he had serious ambitions, winning his Oscar for his portrayal of an empathetic therapist in 'Good Will Hunting.'
He also played for tears in 'Awakenings,' 'Dead Poets Society' and 'What Dreams May Come,' something that led New York Times critic Stephen Holden to once say he dreaded seeing the actor's 'Humpty Dumpty grin and crinkly moist eyes.'
Williams also won three Golden Globes, for 'Good Morning, Vietnam,' 'Mrs. Doubtfire' and 'The Fisher King.'
Tributes poured in after the shocking news of Robin Williams' death broke on Monday.
Ellen DeGeneres and Steve Martin were amongst the first to pay their respects to the late actor, whose tragic death aged 63 at his Tiburon, California home is being treated as suspected suicide.
'I can’t believe the news about Robin Williams. He gave so much to so many people. I’m heartbroken,' Ellen tweeted after hearing the news.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/12/article-2722409-20757DA500000578-940_634x440.jpg

The actor's friend and contemporary Steve, who he starred alongside in the play Waiting For Godot, said: 'I could not be more stunned by the loss of Robin Williams, mensch, great talent, acting partner, genuine soul.'
Miley Cyrus revealed that she was in floods of tears, writing: 'I can't take the Robin Williams news. I've never cried over someone I've never met but I can't stop.'
Mia Farrow was in shock as she posted: 'No! Robin Williams you were so loved. Awful news.'
Sharon Osbourne also shared her sadness on Twitter, telling her followers: 'I’m so sad and devastated to hear of the passing of Robin Williams. My thoughts are with his family.'
Her son Jack added: 'RIP @robinwilliams you will be missed. Thank you for making us all laugh for so long.'
Born in Chicago in 1951, the four-time Oscar nominee and one-time winner started as a funnyman and soon proved he could also captivate America with his skills as an improvisor and dramatic actor.
He is survived by his wife of three years Susan Schneider and children Zachary Pym, Zelda Rae and Cody Alan.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/12/article-2722409-20758D5B00000578-224_634x617.jpg

Despite his lifetime battle with depression and substance abuse, the four-time Oscar nominee was in the midst of a career Renaissance of sorts.
In December, Williams will reprise his role of Teddy Roosevelt in the third installment of the Night at the Museum franchise.
The Chicago-born funnyman had also recently made headlines after he signed on to once again play the cross-dressing Mrs. Doubtfire in a sequel to the 1993 family comedy.
Williams' star power and status as one of America's most adored comedians had never really gone away throughout his 35-plus year career.
He first became a household name in 1978 with his breakout role as zany alien come to earth Mork in the ABC comedy Mork & Mindy.
Partly on the power of his sitcom's popularity, Williams soon made his big screen debut in Robert Altman's 1980 comedy Popeye as the spinach-loving muscleman.
Reviews were mixed for the live action film, but Williams easily moved on to such successes as The World According to Garp, The Survivors and Moscow on the Hudson.
Then at 36, Williams took his career another great leap forward thanks to the undeniable magnetism he put on display in 1987's Good Morning Vietnam.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/12/article-2722409-207570E400000578-0_306x423.jpg

The role would win him his first Academy Award nomination. He would go on to receive three more nods and one statue, for his role of Sean Maguire in the 1998 hit Good Will Hunting alongside a fresh-faced Matt Damon.
The undeniable success did not always bring Williams the happiness his gifts gave audiences.
Williams' drug and alcohol problems first arose while he was still appearing in Mork & Mindy--right at the start of his fame.
His struggle would continue for decades. As recently as this past July, Williams would reconnect with the 12-step program he's so often championed, this time during a brief stay at a Minnesota facility.
Publicist Mara Buxbaum said at the time that Williams was 'taking the opportunity to fine-tune and focus on his continued commitment, of which he remains extremely proud.'
Williams was very open about the challenges of maintaining sobriety. He sought treatment in 2006 when he relapsed and returned to drinking after 20 years.
Williams stars in the CBS series The Crazy Ones and the film The Angriest Man in Brooklyn, which was released in May.
Buxbaum released a statement as the tragic news broke

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/12/article-2722409-207575E300000578-158_634x474.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-12-2014, 01:20 AM
Threads merged. Thanks for the addendum, Lost.

lost in melb.
08-12-2014, 01:20 AM
One of the good guys :(

Hal-9000
08-12-2014, 03:15 AM
:( For me, he was the funniest comedian of our generation, an under appreciated actor...with a special kindness and warmth within.

I don't believe that Obama wrote this, it is a good description - "He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit."

Thank you Robin

Noilly Pratt
08-12-2014, 04:09 AM
So sad about this...

I can remember being bowled over by him in the laugh-in remake - this was before Mork and Mindy. He was Grandpa Funk and would perv on the ladies, saying "c'mere, I'll gum ya!".

As a teen Mork and Mindy was like a bolt from the blue. He made me love improv comedy. One of the first albums I bought (still have it) was his Reality, What A Concept album.

As Mork would say when he tried to express human emotion..."heavy sigh".

redred
08-12-2014, 05:30 AM
:rip: a true worldwide star who was the best at his job

Goofy
08-12-2014, 06:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/1p7vjbl.jpg

Tributes have been pouring in for US actor Robin Williams, who was found dead in an apparent suicide at his home near San Francisco on Monday.
line

"Robin was a lightning storm of comic genius and our laughter was the thunder that sustained him. He was a pal and I can't believe he's gone." - Film director Steven Spielberg
line

"Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind.

"He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most." - US President Barack Obama
line

"Robin Williams made the world laugh & think. I will remember & honour that. A great man, artist and friend. I will miss him beyond measure." - Actor Kevin Spacey via Twitter

"We have lost one of our most inspired and gifted comic minds, as well as one of this generation's greatest actors. To watch Robin work, was a magical and special privilege... He truly was one of the few people who deserved the title of 'genius'." - Chris Columbus, director of Mrs Doubtfire
line

"I never met anyone who loved making people laugh more than Robin." - Actress Minnie Driver, co-star in Good Will Hunting.
line

"He just had this incredible sweetness to him that was just so genuine and very striking. It was really clear I think to anyone who met him, just what... a sweet, joyful spirit he had to the people he was around." - Frank Conniff, writer and actor, who worked with Robin Williams on the David Feldman radio show
line

"Robin was as sweet a man as he was funny. If you're sad, please tell someone." Actor and Comedian Jimmy Kimmel via Twitter

"I am completely and totally devastated. What more can be said?" - Actress Pam Dawber, co-star in Mork and Mindy
line

"I've never known a sweeter, brighter, more considerate person that Robin. Robin's commitment as an artist to lifting our mood and making us happy is compared to none. He loved us all and we loved him back." - Actor John Travolta
line

"I can't believe my lovely friend is gone. My heart goes out to his wife and his beloved children. He brought us so much joy and laughter." - Comedian Eric Idle via Twitter
line

"A tweet cannot begin to describe the hugeness of Robin Williams heart and soul and talent. This is so sad. #RobinWilliams

"OK, I'll try. I met him when I was 13 and a huge fan and he was so kind and I watched him be kind to every fan i ever saw him with...

"His impact on the world was so positive. He did so much good for people. He made me and so many people laugh so hard for a very long time." - Actor Ben Stiller via Twitter

"RIP Robin. I will always remember you as one hell of a friend. I love you and will miss you terribly." - Former professional cyclist Lance Armstrong via Twitter
line

"When we were wrapped [on the set of The Crazy Ones], I wanted a picture with him but I didn't want to feel like I was a rookie on set. But he saw the phone in my hand and he was just like: 'You want a picture? Picture time.' So, I guess my surprise was, as popular as he was and as much a celebrity as he was, he was the most humble guy that I ever met." - Actor J Kristopher

Goofy
08-12-2014, 06:49 AM
US actor and comedian Robin Williams has been found dead, aged 63, in an apparent suicide.

Marin County Police in California said he was pronounced dead at his home shortly after officials responded to an emergency call around noon local time.

Williams was famous for such films as Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society and won an Oscar for his role in Good Will Hunting.

His publicist said he had been "battling severe depression".

In the past he had talked, and even joked, about his struggles with alcohol and drugs.

Williams had recently returned to a rehabilitation centre to "fine-tune" his sobriety, the Los Angeles Times reported in July.

"At this time, the Sheriff's Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made," police said in a statement.

In a statement, Williams' wife, Susan Schneider, said she was "utterly heartbroken".

"On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."

Williams had three children from previous marriages.

Born in Chicago, Illinois in 1951, Williams joined the drama club in high school and was accepted into Juilliard School in New York, the prestigious American academy for the arts.

There, he was encouraged by a teacher to pursue comedy.

The actor was first known for his zany portrayal of an alien in the 1970s TV show Mork and Mindy, a character first seen in the sitcom Happy Days.

He was a regular stand-up comedian while continuing to act in such films as Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Mrs Doubtfire and as the voice of the genie in Aladdin.

While many of his roles were in comedies, Williams won the Oscar in 1998 for best supporting actor as a therapist in Good Will Hunting.

President Barack Obama was one of many offering condolences to his family when he said: "Williams arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.

"He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most - from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalised on our own streets."

Fellow comedian Steve Martin tweeted he "could not be more stunned by the loss of Robin Williams, mensch, great talent, acting partner, genuine soul."

Martin and Williams appeared on stage together during an 1988 Broadway revival of Waiting for Godot.

Comedian and talk show host Ellen de Generes tweeted: "I can't believe the news about Robin Williams. He gave so much to so many people. I'm heartbroken.

redred
08-12-2014, 07:04 AM
:porky:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Kevin Spacey - @KevinSpacey: Robin Williams made the world laugh & think. I will remember & honor that. A great man, artist and friend. I will miss him beyond measure.

http://i.imgur.com/yrqfcCp.jpg

Sarah Michelle Gellar - Williams' The Crazy Ones costar Gellar reacted to the actor's death without words. The star simply shared multiple pictures with her former colleague, goofing off and enjoying life on set together.

http://i.imgur.com/n6skNAY.jpg

Steve Martin - @SteveMartinToGo: I could not be more stunned by the loss of Robin Williams, mensch, great talent, acting partner, genuine soul.

http://i.imgur.com/mbYa6d1.jpg

Danny Devito - @DannyDeVito: Heartbroken

http://i.imgur.com/mopnGxl.jpg

Ellen DeGeneres - @TheEllenShow: I can’t believe the news about Robin Williams. He gave so much to so many people. I’m heartbroken.

http://i.imgur.com/uL0d6O3.jpg

Henry Winkler - @hwinkler4real: Robin Williams was like no other ..To watch him create on the spot was a privilege to behold.. Robin you are an angel now !!! REST IN PEACE

http://i.imgur.com/Ou4SLXK.jpg

Jimmy Kimmel - @jimmykimmel: Robin was as sweet a man as he was funny. If you're sad, please tell someone.

http://i.imgur.com/MnZ1hHW.jpg

Rita Wilson - @ritawilson: The last time @tomhanks and I saw our sweet friend Robin a few months ago with his and our dear friends from NorCal.

http://i.imgur.com/VOHGSmQ.jpg

Katie Couric - @katiecouric: The world has lost a comic genius & huge talent. Interviewing Robin Williams was like taking the wildest roller coaster ride of your life.

http://i.imgur.com/NLiVxq5.jpg

Sharon Osbourne - @MrsSOsbourne: The entire Osbourne Family is grieving the loss of a kind, funny, generous and talented man, Robin Williams.

http://i.imgur.com/t7JDHXF.jpg

Ashley Tisdale - @ashleytisdale: I can't even put into words how sad I am. I grew up watching his movies and was lucky enough to get to work with him. He was a genius in comedy but also the one of the most professional actors I have ever worked with. He made everyone laugh in between takes and had such a warm heart. You will be missed Robin but I know you're in a better place. #rip

http://i.imgur.com/TNFgGdB.jpg

Dane Cook - @DaneCook: I shared some special words with Robin on this night and his advice will stay with me always. I'm so happy in this picture because he asked to take it. He looks high but actually he was in a character. Man. This just doesn't feel right.

http://i.imgur.com/Nek034G.jpg

Sarah Hyland - @Sarah_Hyland: One of the greats. I am so lucky to have met you. A true legend. #riprobinwilliams

http://i.imgur.com/bKtQ8j0.jpg

Verne Troyer - @VerneTroyer: RIP Robin Williams. The best of the best. Sad. #rip

http://i.imgur.com/PEGcPez.jpg

RBP
08-12-2014, 11:51 AM
I am not usually affected by this stuff, but this one is a gut punch personally and professionally.

MrsM
08-12-2014, 01:26 PM
:rip: :sad:

Noilly Pratt
08-12-2014, 03:43 PM
The Telegraph, if you're interested, had a very accurate article about depression, prompted by Robin Williams' death and a good analogy -- depression is a cloak of lead draped over you. Good reading if you're wanting to understand:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/jamesrhodes/100075913/robin-williams-dies-depression-is-a-cloak-of-lead-a-toxic-second-skin/

It's staggering...A million people a year commit suicide; 10-20 million a year try to do it.

Another amazingly wonderful article about funny people and why they kill themselves...

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/

Hal-9000
08-12-2014, 05:34 PM
So sad about this...

I can remember being bowled over by him in the laugh-in remake - this was before Mork and Mindy. He was Grandpa Funk and would perv on the ladies, saying "c'mere, I'll gum ya!".

As a teen Mork and Mindy was like a bolt from the blue. He made me love improv comedy. One of the first albums I bought (still have it) was his Reality, What A Concept album.

As Mork would say when he tried to express human emotion..."heavy sigh".

I liked watching him on talk shows. That's where his true improv genius would shine. Didn't matter who the host was, they were always laughing uncontrollably about 5 minutes in.

redred
08-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I don't think you could interview him the host just tagged alone for the ride

Hal-9000
08-12-2014, 05:41 PM
even off the coke his brain worked at a million miles per hour...

I still remember Mr Happy from his first stand up vid in San Fran....damn I laughed

Hal-9000
08-12-2014, 05:49 PM
my super is listening to an old HBO special right now....he's riffing on California catatonic weed and hurricanes right now :lol:

Hal-9000
08-12-2014, 05:57 PM
pardon me, it's from his recent weapons of self destruction performance

DemonGeminiX
08-12-2014, 06:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLoEkt-hI0o

Goofy
08-12-2014, 06:10 PM
:porky:

:oops: In my defence, i was just about to head off to work when i noticed so just dived straight in without checking!

redred
08-12-2014, 06:16 PM
:lol: I'm sure he wouldn't mind a joke in the thread

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2014, 06:51 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/dkWWWQY.jpg

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) — Robin Williams committed suicide by hanging himself with a belt at his San Francisco Bay Area home, sheriff's officials said Tuesday.

Marin County Sheriff's Lt. Keith Boyd said Williams was found in a bedroom by his personal assistant on Monday at his Tiburon home.

Boyd said toxicology tests will be performed and the investigation is ongoing.

Sheriff's officials said Monday a preliminary investigation determined the cause of death was suicide due to asphyxia. Williams was 63 and had suffered for years from periodic bouts of substance abuse and depression.

Williams' press representative Mara Buxbaum said the actor had been battling severe depression recently. Just last month, Williams announced he was returning to a 12-step treatment program.

Coroner's officials say he was last seen alive at home around 10 p.m. Sunday.

Shortly before noon Monday, the Sheriff's Department received an emergency call from the home, where the star of "Good Will Hunting," ''Mrs. Doubtfire," ''Good Morning, Vietnam" and dozens of other films was pronounced dead.

Williams made reference to his substance abuse and depression in his comedy routines, including when he sought treatment in 2006 after a relapse that followed 20 years of sobriety.

Williams joked about that fall off the wagon during a comedy tour, saying: "I went to rehab in wine country to keep my options open."

Likewise, when word spread about his struggles with drugs in the early 1980s, Williams responded with a joke that for a time became a catchphrase for his generation's recreational drug use: "Cocaine is God's way of telling you you are making too much money."

Word that he had killed himself left neighbors in Tiburon equally stunned and grief-stricken. Williams had lived in the quiet, waterfront neighborhood for eight years, according to neighbors.

Noreen Nieder said Williams was a friendly neighbor who always said hello and engaged in small talk. Nieder said she wasn't close to Williams and his family, but she still felt comfortable enough to approach him and ask him about his latest stint in drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

"He was very open about it," Nieder said. "He told me he was doing well."

Fans and friends placed bouquets, candles and personal notes in front of the locked gates of Williams' house.

The Antonio family visited Williams' home Tuesday morning, driving from San Rafael about 10 miles away to drop off flowers.

"He was my favorite actor," said a weeping Brandon Antonio, 13. "He was so funny."

Antonio said Williams' 1995 movie "Jumanji" was his favorite film.

Goofy
08-12-2014, 07:19 PM
I'm gonna go have a look at sickipedia 8-[

Hal-9000
08-12-2014, 07:26 PM
I would have hated to be the person who found Robin Williams hanging there...after getting over the shock you gotta call 911 and say - Robin is dead, he's hanging here in front of me :|

Noilly Pratt
08-12-2014, 10:01 PM
This one's going to take a while...

My favourite scene of dramatic Robin Williams:

http://youtu.be/NBjWHfBHKos

Yt Trash
08-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I am not usually affected by this stuff, but this one is a gut punch personally and professionally.

Ditto.

RIP!

Lambchop
08-12-2014, 10:26 PM
I was so shocked to see the news yesterday. Loved him in Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam, etc.

His previous divorces cost him $30 million. That's way too much. Hope his kids will be secure out of all of this.

Noilly Pratt
08-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Here's a scene from Mork and Mindy, his TV series that introduced him to the world. In this episode we meet Robin Williams and he cautions Mork about fame. This is the scene at the end of the episode - unusually serious for that show.

http://youtu.be/P6ESJa7PTl0

RBP
08-13-2014, 01:49 AM
Here's a scene from Mork and Mindy, his TV series that introduced him to the world. In this episode we meet Robin Williams and he cautions Mork about fame. This is the scene at the end of the episode - unusually serious for that show.

http://youtu.be/P6ESJa7PTl0

And Robin Williams....

RBP
08-13-2014, 03:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjktB2k6TSI

DemonGeminiX
08-13-2014, 05:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKAcV0YF9o4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw9Evwb1vtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF7TXHDwpX8

RBP
08-14-2014, 05:57 AM
For Goof! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4&list=RDpcnFbCCgTo4&index=1

lost in melb.
08-14-2014, 02:14 PM
The Telegraph, if you're interested, had a very accurate article about depression, prompted by Robin Williams' death and a good analogy -- depression is a cloak of lead draped over you. Good reading if you're wanting to understand:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/jamesrhodes/100075913/robin-williams-dies-depression-is-a-cloak-of-lead-a-toxic-second-skin/

It's staggering...A million people a year commit suicide; 10-20 million a year try to do it.

Another amazingly wonderful article about funny people and why they kill themselves...

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves/

I think his death will do a lot to raise awareness about depression. (The real thing) It's like a permanent agony.

He must have tried everything.

I think that's why I'm so sad about this. He was a vibrant soul, a hard-worker and a man of integrity. I wish I could have helped him.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-15-2014, 10:45 AM
By Leora Arnowitz - FOX 411

http://i.imgur.com/PA8AEis.jpg

Robin Williams was quietly struggling with the early stages of Parkinson’s disease at the time of his death, according to his wife Susan Schneider.

“Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly,” she revealed on Thursday after reports circulated that the recovered alcoholic and drug addict may have fallen off the wagon.

“It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid,” she wrote in a statement.

Actor Michael J. Fox, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's in the early 1990s and went public with it in 1998, tweeted late Thursday "Stunned to learn Robin had PD. Pretty sure his support for our Fdn predated his diagnosis. A true friend; I wish him peace."

Williams was last seen alive at home by his wife at about 10 p.m. Sunday. An emergency call from his house in the San Francisco, Calif. area was placed to the Sheriff's Department shortly before noon Monday.

The Marin County coroner revealed on Tuesday that Williams committed suicide by hanging himself with a belt. He also had cuts on his wrist at the time of his death.

A representative for Williams said in a statement the 63-year-old actor had been battling "severe depression of late."

Last month, the star of "Mork and Mindy," ''Good Will Hunting" and "Good Morning, Vietnam" said he was re-entering a 12-step program after months of nonstop work. His rep said the visit was meant to "fine tune" his sobriety, and it would have gone unnoticed had Williams' not posed for a photo with a fan at a Dairy Queen near the facility.

The Oscar-winning actor had a successful career as a stand-up comedian and made generations laugh with classic comedies like “Mrs. Doubtfire.” He was also known for his tear-jerker roles in hits such as “Dead Poets Society.”

Williams is survived by his wife and his three children: daughter Zelda, 25; and sons Zachary, 31, and Cody, 22.

Goofy
08-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Good Will Hunting was on BBC1 last night so i watched it again, forgot how good he was in it :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
08-15-2014, 04:27 PM
that's what some people don't understand about suicide....if you feel that your quality of life is suffering or horrible, it's hard to look forward to the next day...

I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement and say - Just suck it up, we all have problems. Some people will never know how physically debilitating serious health problems can actually be

:( Life is precious but battling life daily is a tough road too

Noilly Pratt
08-15-2014, 04:36 PM
What people don't understand is that you are mentally ill if you commit or attempt suicide. You are not thinking clearly or like a rational human being.

When you are in that mindset, there is nothing beyond Now for you...You don't fully think out the ramifications to your family, friends or others. And that's sad.

I hope this is a catalyst for change on how we view this, and how we treat it.