PDA

View Full Version : WHO says Ebola has killed more than 1,200

Teh One Who Knocks
08-19-2014, 10:40 AM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/yjN8LDp.jpg

GENEVA (AP) — The Ebola outbreak in West Africa has killed more than 1,200 people since it began in December 2013, the World Health Organization said Tuesday.

More than 2,200 have been sickened, according to the U.N. health agency's latest numbers.

Authorities have struggled to contain the outbreak, which started in Guinea and has spread to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria. There are quarantines and travel restrictions for the sick and those in contact with them, sometimes including whole villages and counties, but officials warned that the restrictions have sometimes hampered food deliveries.

The U.N. World Food Program has said that it is preparing to deliver food to 1 million people over the next three months.

"I think now there is a high vigilance in all countries," Fadela Chaib, a spokeswoman for WHO, told reporters in Geneva. "I can't remember the last time we fed 1 million people in a quarantine situation."

Hal-9000
08-19-2014, 10:40 PM
people tend to be sarcastic and make the chicken little comments...

but think about it...the presenting initial symptoms are very similar to a cold or the flu....until your eyes start bleeding...

that last line gives me the chills - "I can't remember the last time we fed 1 million people in a quarantine situation."

deebakes
08-20-2014, 05:08 AM
:idk:

Goofy
08-20-2014, 06:42 AM
So who says? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2014, 10:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzE1mX4Px0I

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2014, 10:43 AM
people tend to be sarcastic and make the chicken little comments...

but think about it...the presenting initial symptoms are very similar to a cold or the flu....until your eyes start bleeding...

that last line gives me the chills - "I can't remember the last time we fed 1 million people in a quarantine situation."

I'm not in the Chicken Little camp, I'm in the camp of this thing could be the worst thing to happen to the human race in a LONG time. If just a few of these infected people make it to a densely populated hub area (London, NYC, Toronto, Beijing, Paris, LA, etc) this thing could spread like wild fire.

RBP
08-20-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm not in the Chicken Little camp, I'm in the camp of this thing could be the worst thing to happen to the human race in a LONG time. If just a few of these infected people make it to a densely populated hub area (London, NYC, Toronto, Beijing, Paris, LA, etc) this thing could spread like wild fire.

Agreed, it has to be contained to Africa. But they are so completely unprepared for this. The less developed nations have virtually no controls or services.

The one to watch for me is Lagos, Nigeria. 21 million densely populated people. Nigeria has a more advances health care system, so to me it's a better indicator of international potential.

RBP
08-20-2014, 11:05 AM

WHO, that's who.

Did you wake up in a Soho doorway, where a policeman knew your name? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Agreed, it has to be contained to Africa. But they are so completely unprepared for this. The less developed nations have virtually no controls or services.

The one to watch for me is Lagos, Nigeria. 21 million densely populated people. Nigeria has a more advances health care system, so to me it's a better indicator of international potential.

Yeah, and even though they are more advanced than thew countries dealing with it now, I still don't think they would be prepared to deal with this kind of infectious disease. You can be a carrier for days before symptoms even start to show and even then, as Hal mentioned, it just appears to be a flu-like illness.

As advanced as the healthcare systems are in places like Canada, the US, the UK, most of western Europe, I don't think they could even handle a pandemic of something like Ebola.

Hal-9000
08-20-2014, 07:58 PM
You see it in the movies...just one plane with a few infected people and the symptoms aren't recognized immediately.

The CDC typically says absolute containment is the first line of defense. You think your rights are being violated already? Just wait until they discover multiple cases of Ebola in NYC. They will enlist the military, shut people in their dwellings and no one will get in or out...or be shot.

this stuff scares the crap out of me