PDA

View Full Version : Student Says She Was Suspended For Saying 'Bless You'

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2014, 11:09 AM
By Trey Paul, Anchor/Reporter - My Fox Memphis

http://i.imgur.com/R2yywXql.jpg

DYER COUNTY, Tenn. (FOX13) - Dyer County High School senior Kendra Turner said she was kicked out of class for saying "bless you" and suspended for for responding to a classmate's sneeze.

"It was a simple sneeze," she said.

Kendra posted on Facebook on Monday that her teacher told her, "Now we will not have Godly speaking in my class."

School leaders say she was given in-school suspension for violating the teacher's "no talking policy" and causing a disruption in the classroom.

"I said, 'Bless you,' and my teacher she stood up and asked, 'Who said that?,'" Kendra said.

She spoke up and said she did. She said she was being courteous.

"She said, 'Who told you it was courteous?,'" the teen told FOX13 News. "I told her my pastor and parents. She said, 'This is not your parent's classroom.'"

Kendra said her teacher got more specific.

"She told me, 'We're not going to have Godly speak,'" the teen said. "I said, 'My pastor said it was my constitutional right, freedom of speech and freedom of religion."

From there she says she was sent to the front office.

"I get to the office and one of the administrators said that if I don't want to follow my teacher's rules, maybe I should get my pastor to teach me," Kendra said.

The high school senior ended up getting an in school suspension for that class only.

According to Assistant Principal Lynn Garner students aren't suspended unless it's serious. But that's all he would say.

But Kendra told FOX13 News what her teacher said about her.

"That I was being very disruptive and disrespectful and I wasn't just saying 'bless you,'" Kendra said. "She said, 'I shouted across the room and told the person 'bless you' and the girl was sitting right next to me."

Even though Kendra doesn't agree with her teacher she said she forgives her.

"I also don't want the teacher being bashed because that's harmful and disrespectful," Kendra said.

And that goes against her religion too.

deebakes
08-22-2014, 02:18 AM
"My pastor said..."

anybody that uses that logic should be suspended :hand:

DemonGeminiX
08-22-2014, 03:32 AM
:slap:

She should sue everybody for violating her civil rights...

DemonGeminiX
08-22-2014, 03:34 AM
Wait, this was in Tennessee? And the people giving her hell haven't had their necks stretched? Tennessee's smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt.

:-k

Loser
08-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Saying bless you to someone who sneezes is common decency in my book, and if her extremist of a teacher has no manners, then she can go fuck herself.

It's the same principle when I hold a door open for someone. You don't say thank you to me, I YELL you're welcome, loud as hell to embarrass them.

This is why no one has manners.