PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Shop Owner Offers Discount With Church Bulletin, Gets Backlash From Atheist Organization

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2014, 11:33 AM
By Paul Brown - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/9QJGvX8.jpg

When Bailey's Pizza opened last month, owner Steven Rose could never have predicted the press he would get just 6 weeks after opening the Searcy, Ark. pizza shop. Unfortunately for Rose, the press is more controversial than he would have liked.

On July 19, Rose announced on the company's Facebook page that they would be giving a 10% discount to anyone who showed up to the restaurant with that week's church bulletin.

One commenter, whose username is Bong Hits For Jesus, wrote, “Good luck on your discrimination lawsuit,” in response to this marketing tactic.

“I didn’t give much credence to it,” said Rose, referring to the comment, but it turns out the comment was more foreboding than he had originally expected.

Not long after this, The Blaze reports, a disgruntled local resident reported the company to the Freedom From Religion Foundation. This Wisconsin-based organization then sent Rose a letter insisting he remove the discount. The organization's claim was that the discount stands in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

“The law requires places of public accommodation to offer their services to customers without regard to race, color, religion or national origin,” Elizabeth Cavell, an attorney who works for the atheist legal firm, stated to KTHV-TV.

“I didn’t want to exclude anyone,” said Rose of the discount. “It was just like giving a discount to the Boy Scouts or the military and they made it an ugly thing.”

http://i.imgur.com/uIBenU7.jpg

“From their argument, if I’m giving a discount to the elderly, it’s agism. If I give one to police offers, I’m prejudiced against people who aren’t police officers,” Rose continued.

While Rose did not wish to offend anyone with his faith-based discount, the man has no plans on giving up. “Short of [a judge's ruling] there’s nothing that they’re going to say to me that makes me waver on what I believe,” Rose said, firmly standing his ground.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-21-2014, 02:19 PM
On the upside look at all the free publicity he's getting

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2014, 02:36 PM
How is it free? He has to hire a lawyer and spend money to defend himself against this idiotic lawsuit.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-21-2014, 03:11 PM
There is no lawsuit, there is a letter.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-21-2014, 03:12 PM
You know those asshats will sue him if he doesn't drop the discount

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2014, 04:00 PM
These fools almost make me want to go back to attending church.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-21-2014, 06:52 PM
:lol:

Goofy
08-21-2014, 07:40 PM
I'd go to church for a 10% beer discount :)

perrhaps
08-21-2014, 08:20 PM
He doesn't say customers have to attend services to obtain the discount. All you have to do is show up with a church bulletin. People can find lots of them in the local churches' parking lots.

Hal-9000
08-21-2014, 08:47 PM
if you can't come up with a church bulletin, don't eat there

Hugh_Janus
08-21-2014, 11:24 PM
How is it free?

because he's not paying for it

also;

One commenter, whose username is Bong Hits For Jesus, wrote
:rofl:

RBP
08-22-2014, 03:28 AM
I say it again... evangelical atheists are far more annoying than evangelical Christians.

DemonGeminiX
08-22-2014, 03:30 AM
I say it again... evangelical atheists are far more annoying than evangelical Christians.

*Stares hard at Porky*

:suspect:

RBP
08-22-2014, 03:37 AM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-22-2014, 02:57 PM
I do it to be just as annoying as the other side :fu:

Hal-9000
08-22-2014, 03:15 PM
I do it to be just as annoying as the other side :fu:

#itsworking