PDA

View Full Version : Burger King in Talks to Buy Canadian Chain Tim Hortons

Teh One Who Knocks
08-25-2014, 11:04 AM
By Leslie Patton - Bloomberg

http://i.imgur.com/vVvsQml.jpg

Burger King Worldwide Inc. (BKW), the second-largest U.S. burger chain, is in talks to buy Tim Hortons Inc. (THI) and move its headquarters to Canada, becoming the latest American company to seek a relocation to a lower-tax country.

Burger King, which is majority-owned by 3G Capital, would create the world’s third-largest fast-food chain by merging with Canada’s bigger seller of coffee and doughnuts, the companies said in a statement. Canada’s corporate tax rate is 26.5 percent, compared with 40 percent in the U.S., according to audit, tax and advisory firm KPMG’s website.

The deal threatens to renew debate over American companies shifting their headquarters internationally in search of a lower corporate tax bill. The trend drew criticism last month from President Barack Obama. His aides vowed that the administration would take action to curtail the practice.

3G Capital will own the majority of the shares of the new company, with the remainder held by other shareholders of Tim Hortons and Burger King, according to the statement. The two chains will operate as stand-alone brands, the companies said.

The combined business would have about $22 billion in sales and more than 18,000 restaurants in 100 countries, according to the statement. The deal is subject to negotiation, and Burger King and Tim Hortons don’t plan to comment further until an agreement is reached or discussions are discontinued.

Inversion Surge

Between mid-June and late-July, when Obama began criticizing deals that cut taxes by relocating outside the U.S., at least five large American companies have announced plans to make such a move -- known as an “inversion.” That includes AbbVie Inc. and Medtronic Inc.

Since the start of 2012, at least 21 U.S. companies have announced or completed the deals, comprising almost half the total of 51 such transactions in the past three decades.

Tim Hortons, Canada’s biggest coffee merchant, has about 4,500 restaurants and has been expanding its product lines to boost sales. The Oakville, Ontario-based company’s stock rose 2.8 percent to a record C$68.78 on Aug. 22, the most recent trading day. The restaurant operator posted results this month that beat estimates and said fiscal 2014 profit will top or be at the high end of its target range.

Earlier this month, Burger King reported that revenue fell 6.1 percent to $261.2 million in the second quarter. Same-store sales in the U.S. and Canada rose 0.4 percent. The company has been trying to introduce fewer new items to make its kitchens faster and less complex.

Burger King rose 1 percent to $27.11 at the Aug. 22 close in New York for a gain of 19 percent this year. Its shares rose 4 percent to the equivalent of $28.23 in German trading at 9:44 a.m. Frankfurt time.

Stock Debut

The plan to move to Canada follows Burger King’s debut on the New York Stock Exchange in 2012. The chain had been taken private in 2010 by 3G, a New York investment firm, which got $1.4 billion in cash from the public offering and remains the majority shareholder with a 70 percent stake.

U.S. fast-food restaurants are struggling with shaky consumer confidence and steep competition, adding pressure to find ways to alleviate the burden. Burger King has been trying to draw customers with value deals, such as a two-sandwiches-for-$5 offer, as well as some new limited-time fare including chicken fries.

perrhaps
08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Eat shit, our Canadian members! Literally.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-25-2014, 02:43 PM
:usa: :usa: :usa:

Hal-9000
08-25-2014, 02:51 PM
:x they'll have to go through me first......

Burger King will ruin that franchise

Teh One Who Knocks
08-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Welcome to Tim Hortons, a wholly owned subsidiary of Burger King, an American Corporation :cheers:

Hal-9000
08-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Would you like a whopper with your double double? :)

:x AAAAARGGGHHHHH it's not right!!!!!

PorkChopSandwiches
08-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Welcome to Tim Hortons, a wholly owned subsidiary of Burger King, an American Corporation :cheers:

Doesnt sound like they plan on being American for long

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Doesnt sound like they plan on being American for long

Thanks to US government tax policies on businesses.

:tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Its fucked up some of these companies can pay 0 tax though

Teh One Who Knocks
08-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Its fucked up some of these companies can pay 0 tax though

Yup, while the corporate tax rate in this country is definitely too high, there is no way that profitable companies should be able to pay no taxes at all

http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/showthread.php?62857-20-big-profitable-U-S-companies-paid-no-taxes

PorkChopSandwiches
08-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Yup, while the corporate tax rate in this country is definitely too high, there is no way that profitable companies should be able to pay no taxes at all

http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/showthread.php?62857-20-big-profitable-U-S-companies-paid-no-taxes

:tup:

deebakes
08-26-2014, 02:13 AM
:rip:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2014, 04:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7YHDxAx.png

DemonGeminiX
08-26-2014, 05:59 PM
They're so full of shit.

:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Exactly

Hal-9000
08-26-2014, 06:15 PM
so The Burger Borg already took over one of our most visible Canadian entities??

Fascist bastards :x

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Hopefully they replace that crap coffee you guys sell with good old fashioned American Burger King coffee :tup:

Goofy
08-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Hopefully they replace that crap coffee you guys sell with good old fashioned American Burger King coffee :tup:

:rofl:

Hal-9000
08-26-2014, 07:24 PM

I'm gonna let this one go (barely), because you're not a coffee drinker :x

hey wait....timely pic on the way :)

Hal-9000
08-26-2014, 07:30 PM
apologies for the quality :lol:

http://i57.tinypic.com/sgizcn.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/ei45xu.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2014, 07:37 PM
And pretty soon that cup will have a crown on it and say BK :cheers:

Hal-9000
08-26-2014, 07:40 PM
don't make me take a selfie that features my ass with pants down...

I will you know :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2014, 07:44 PM
:nana:

Hal-9000
08-26-2014, 07:59 PM
I haven't shaved my ass hair for a couple of months so when you see the thong, know it ain't no thong pal!!!! :x

:dance:

Hal-9000
08-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Hairy whale tail :)

Noilly Pratt
08-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Ours, and other local Tim Hortons has Wendys in the same building from a previous merger that went sour...wonder if that's gonna change?

I don't go into Burger King very often...but when I do I get the feeling that it's lower on the quality/cleanliness scale. At least locally I rate Tims at the top, then Wendy's, McDonalds, then Burger King, with Dairy Queen trailing far behind.

Tims at least has kind-of healthy sandwich choices (and fatty doughnuts, yes, but at least a choice).

PorkChopSandwiches
08-26-2014, 08:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bSz3cg3.jpg

RBP
08-26-2014, 10:52 PM
Interesting.

It's not just a lower corporate tax rate. Canada doesn't tax foreign earnings like the US does, and BK does a lot of business in other countries.

Has anyone read the recent history of BK? Fascinating stuff... read it just a couple weeks ago. The guy running it is in his early 30's, put in place by the Brazilian hedge fund who bought them. He dumped the executive offices, surrounded himself with young executives, and cut the corporate staff to nothing.

Under the category of not putting your money where your tax-lying-cunt-mouth is, this is partially being funding by Warren Buffett. No hypocrisy there.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Interesting.

It's not just a lower corporate tax rate. Canada doesn't tax foreign earnings like the US does, and BK does a lot of business in other countries.

Has anyone read the recent history of BK? Fascinating stuff... read it just a couple weeks ago. The guy running it is in his early 30's, put in place by the Brazilian hedge fund who bought them. He dumped the executive offices, surrounded himself with young executives, and cut the corporate staff to nothing.

Under the category of not putting your money where your tax-lying-cunt-mouth is, this is partially being funding by Warren Buffett. No hypocrisy there.

I read that today and was discussing with a co-worker. I think he is 34 and has 2 other guys under 40 in top positions like head of investing