PDA

View Full Version : Let kids play outside alone? It should be a crime, poll says

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2014, 11:18 AM
KTAR News

http://i.imgur.com/Sw1xfaU.jpg

Many Americans believe kids as old as 12 need adult supervision if they're going to play in public places, indoors or outside, according to a new poll that found a high number of people would support laws making it illegal to allow a 9-year-old to play unsupervised at the park.

The polls come as news outlets like U.S. News and World Reports are noting an uptick in parents arrested for letting their children do things without supervision.

Writes Tierney Sneed, "Mothers arrested in Florida and South Carolina in recent weeks are the latest in an ongoing trend of parents seeing legal punishment for letting their children play or travel in public unsupervised. The former was charged with child neglect by local authorities for letting her 7-year-old son walk to a park half a mile from their home by himself (the mother later told WPTV that a Florida Department of Children and Families official informed her the charges would likely be dropped). In South Carolina, the woman — a single mom who let her 9-year-old daughter play in a nearby park unattended while she worked her shift at McDonald's — served 17 days in jail and, if convicted of felony child neglect, could face 10 years in prison."

The recent Reasons-Rupe survey, conducted by phone in August, asked 1,000 adults about child safety issues. The pollsters found 82 percent of Americans would support a law to require supervision of kids 9 and under playing in public parks. And 63 percent said that 12 years old is too young to play without supervision.

Asked whether kids face more or fewer threats to their physical safety than when respondents were growing up, 62 percent of those polled said that the world is more dangerous today, while 30 percent said the threat level is about the same.

In reality, studies show that crime has been going down consistently for more than 20 years. In 2012, the Christian Science Monitor noted that "the last time the crime rate for serious crime — murder, rape, robbery, assault — fell to these levels, gasoline cost 29 cents a gallon and the average income for a working American was $5,807."

Asked whether news media and political leaders accurately report over- or underestimate threats children face in their day-to-day lives, 41 percent said it's an accurate portrayal. The remainder split nearly evenly between under- and overestimating threats, at 29 and 27 percent respectively.

Crime fears are "over-hyped," according to an article by Lenore Skenazy on Reason.com. She wrote: "'One culprit is the 24-hour news cycle,' Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods, said when I asked him why so few kids are outside these days. Turn on cable TV, 'and all you have to do is watch how they take a handful of terrible crimes against children and repeat that same handful over and over,' he said. 'And then they repeat the trial over and over, and so we're conditioned to live in a state of fear.'"

"I doubt there has ever been a human culture, anywhere, anytime, that underestimates children's abilities more than we North Americans do today," Boston College psychology professor emeritus Peter Gray, author of Free to Learn, told Skenazy.

Skenazy herself has been a bit controversial. As ABC News reported, "Skenazy has a history of pushing parents' perceptions of what freedoms should be allowed for their children. In 2008 she attracted scorn and ridicule for allowing her son, then age 9, to ride the New York City subway by himself. Since then, she's organized one day each year when parents are instructed to take their children to the park and leave them there."

She said, "People thought that was crazy too, but it's been running for three years now and I hear from parents who say, 'I did let my kids go to the park today.' It takes something to start breaking up the ice, this thick layer of ice over childhood, and if I'm giving a little tap with an ice pick to crack, than I'm happy to. "

The poll asked at what age children should be allowed to do certain things. The median age the adults polled believe children should be allowed to stay home alone was 13, while the median for babysitting other children was 14. They said children should be able to walk to and from school without an adult at 12 years, on average and at age 11 should be allowed to wait alone in the car for five minutes on a cool day.

The poll also showed median age those asked would support a child doing other activities, including cooking (age 12), mowing the lawn (age 12) and having a part-time job (15).

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2014, 04:02 PM
The only reason I wouldnt leave my kid at a park is for fear of pedo's

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 04:07 PM
we see it at Halloween....used to be thousands of kids running around until 9 or 10 pm. Now, parents walk or drive their kids around from about 6 pm to 7 pm then it's Ghost town city..

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Yeah its sad really. In elementary school my brother and I would leave the house in the morning and my mom would say be back for dinner. I dont think I could do that and feel ok about it these days

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't like the age parameters they list there....at 12 Jimmy can be left alone etc...

each child has different levels of maturity and common sense

probably why I'm not a parent....I would shadow my kids until they were 25 because I worry so much :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2014, 04:20 PM
The only reason I wouldnt leave my kid at a park is for fear of pedo's

You do realize that the whole 'stranger danger' thing is way over exaggerated, right?

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 04:24 PM
What pedos have done to society affects people like me....in the old days I could got out to the park behind my house, play with or help the kids.

Now, I'm a single male predator and have seen Moms look at me with that certain look......:(

Muddy
08-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Shits so fucked up now, nobody can be trusted.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2014, 04:29 PM
You do realize that the whole 'stranger danger' thing is way over exaggerated, right?

I know, but its ingrained in my head, and I do check the sex offender site and see there are to many near by to feel ok

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 05:10 PM
we get a lot of pervs on our LRT platforms and bus stops....at first it was exposing themselves, now it's copping a feel

they tend to go for the younger girls.....God help the fucker if I ever witness anything like that

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 05:16 PM
I know, but its ingrained in my head, and I do check the sex offender site and see there are to many near by to feel ok

If you see something, say something :thumbsup:

Noilly Pratt
08-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Our townhouse complex surrounds a park - last week there was an attack on a 38 year old woman by a man shouting obscenities, trying to remove her clothes and dragging her off into the bushes.

Doesn't matter if its a kid or an adult. Bad stuff can happen to anyone at any time.

In this case, it was 9:45pm - pitch dark and perhaps the woman shouldn't have gone in the park at that time -- but it can happen.

The reaction is by some to not let their kids out of their sight. I'm definitely not letting my 12 year old daughter go to the store without someone else. But I do trust her judgement - I just think she could be overpowered. Same with my wife who's 50.

Goofy
08-27-2014, 06:07 PM
My mum and dad hardly ever saw me during the summer holidays when i was a kid........ i was meant to check back in at certain times but that rarely happened :lol: Too busy playing football or playing down at the water or at the local farm or whatever! I only came home when i got hungry :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 06:12 PM
yeah I don't mean to make light of this but a lot of times I felt my ma or pa's boot on my ass tellin me to git outside...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2014, 06:19 PM
yeah I don't mean to make light of this but a lot of times I felt my ma or pa's boot on my ass tellin me to git outside...

^^ This

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 06:27 PM
talking about days gone by....if any adult ever touched a child improperly in my neighborhood, the parents would have banded together and lynched him (or her). No call to the police, no worrying about that person's rights and no psychiatrist defending the poor molester...

...conversely, it was commonplace to see another parent spank a child under their care, if the child had done something wrong... it truly was a different time

Goofy
08-27-2014, 06:31 PM

^^ This

Ditto, "stop pestering me and go out and play for gods sake" was a regular phrase in my house when i was a kid :lol: Mind you, we did stay in a small-ish village where pretty much everyone knew everyone else so i suppose everyone looked out for each other and each others kids :)

Hal-9000
08-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Goof was part of the Village People :)

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Was he the cop?

deebakes
08-27-2014, 10:45 PM
i am really torn on this one since i feel like during my youth it was such a different time, even though i am in my 30's. i generally let my 10 year old have some free reign, but i know it is not nearly what i had at that age :shrug:

Godfather
08-28-2014, 06:20 AM
As the article basically says, violent crimes have actually fallen significantly in recent decades, but reporting on violent crimes has skyrocketed something like 300% The stats also show most types of abuse/crimes agains children are by family and friends, and only extremely rarely by strangers (in canada it's 0.0005% of all cases).

I don't have kids so I can't say shit about who is being overprotective, but I find it so sad and bizarre that we seem to be getting more afraid of a safer world. What a head scratcher.

Godfather
08-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Sorry, wanted to add an anecdote :lol:

My last boss said he'd drive his (then 8 year old) son to within sight of the front door of school until he was 18... This is a private school in an upscale neighbourhood. The kid couldn't be babysat by anyone but immediate family. He wasn't allowed to play at other friends houses if the kids parents didn't watch them at all times. Even in their own backyard, the kids couldn't be unattended. Worst of all is that they had the kid scared senseless. His dad once said 'go grab your bag from the car.' We could see the car from the office where they'd stopped by, it was right outside the door. This fourth grader stops in his tracks and goes 'what if someone takes me.' I was so hard to bite my tongue around my boss telling me about all his fears. How's his son going to be a confident, adventuresome young man, living his childhood in fear?! /rant

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Sorry, wanted to add an anecdote :lol:

My last boss said he'd drive his (then 8 year old) son to within sight of the front door of school until he was 18... This is a private school in an upscale neighbourhood. The kid couldn't be babysat by anyone but immediate family. He wasn't allowed to play at other friends houses if the kids parents didn't watch them at all times. Even in their own backyard, the kids couldn't be unattended. Worst of all is that they had the kid scared senseless. His dad once said 'go grab your bag from the car.' We could see the car from the office where they'd stopped by, it was right outside the door. This fourth grader stops in his tracks and goes 'what if someone takes me.' I was so hard to bite my tongue around my boss telling me about all his fears. How's his son going to be a confident, adventuresome young man, living his childhood in fear?! /rant

That's sad...

Muddy
08-29-2014, 01:59 AM
We live in a culdesac, so the kids get pretty decent run time..

Godfather
08-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Culdesacs are the shit. So many good memories playing street hockey and other games until it was too dark to see the ball. That's how it should be.

Hal-9000
08-30-2014, 04:10 PM
I have a unique phone...built for seniors (piss off) It has a panic button that automatically calls my first 5 contacts, then texts them if they don't pick up. I've blocked the feature...

Thinking that it's too bad we couldn't create similar for kids and make it in such a way that they wouldn't accidentally hit it while playing or goofing around

:-k

I guess a 9mm has a panic button kids can press too ...

ok forget it :lol:

RBP
08-30-2014, 04:33 PM
...The stats also show most types of abuse/crimes against children are by family and friends, and only extremely rarely by strangers (in Canada it's 0.0005% of all cases).

...I find it so sad and bizarre that we seem to be getting more afraid of a safer world. What a head scratcher.

:+1:

One man's opinion... media and politicians are part of it... absolutely yes, but do not underestimate the culture of fear unduly created by the sex offender registry.

Does Canada have that as well?