PDA

View Full Version : California drivers brace for costly new gas tax

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2014, 10:46 AM
By William La Jeunesse and Laura Prabucki - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/KC0kRzN.jpg

Californians already pay the nation's second highest gas tax at 68 cents a gallon -- and now it will go up again in January to pay for a first-in-the-nation climate change law.

"I didn't know that," said Los Angeles motorist Tyler Rich. "It's ridiculous."

"I think it’s terrible," added Lupe Sanchez, pumping $4.09-a-gallon gas at a Chevron near Santa Monica. "The economy, the way it is right now with jobs and everything, it's just crazy."

When gas prices go up, motorists typically blame oil companies, Arab sheiks and Wall Street speculators. This time they can blame Sacramento and former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for passing a bill requiring California to reduce carbon emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.

The tax on carbon already raised about $1 billion in revenue by requiring manufacturers and utilities to buy credits for each ton of carbon emitted into the atmosphere. At the beginning of next year, the law will also apply to oil and gas. Refiners and distributors say they will pass another $2 billion in costs on - largely to consumers.

"Ultimately it hurts the consumer," said California Independent Oil and Marketing Association spokesman Mike Rohrer. "It is going to affect anyone who has a vehicle. Be it a motorist that is commuting back and forth to work or a trucker just moving goods throughout the state of California, the cost is immediately going to increase because whatever we have to pay for in carbon credits ultimately we have to pass through to the consumer."

Estimates of the cost of the tax vary. The California Air Resources Board, the Golden State's premier anti-pollution agency, predicts the new tax will raise gasoline prices from 20 cents to $1.30 per gallon. A prominent state senator who helped author the bill estimated the cost at 40 cents a gallon. Environmental activists downplay the cost, but hail the impact.

"We're going to now tackle probably 40 percent of greenhouse gas emissions in the state that are emitted mostly through transportation - oil and gas use," said Climate Resolve Executive Director Jonathan Parfrey.

The cost of the climate change law never was spelled out in the original bill in 2010, which did not even include transportation fuels.But any meaningful climate change law would have to address driving, the state's largest single source of pollution. By raising the price, officials hope to reduce the number of miles driven as consumers are forced to consider options.

"We have to effect a transition away from the polluting of fuels that we currently have," said Parfrey. "We have to pay a little extra so that we're making sure that our energy in the future is not going to be spoiled."

Not everyone is sold on the idea. Europe tried a cap and trade program in the last decade and pollution levels still increased dramatically.

California is the only state to extend the idea to gasoline. By the end of the decade, the state is expected to collect $5 billion in revenue by charging businesses and consumers for the right to pollute. So far the state collected $833 billion by selling 'carbon credits' to polluters.

"They have generated close to a billion dollars in revenue just from the carbon tax credit auctions that have been going on for over a year. Where has that money gone?" asked Rohrer.

"And why do we have to tax the consumer to make this happen for clean air? Everyone is for clean air but let’s not hurt the consumer in the process and not giving them a full explanation of how this exactly works and why."

Last week California sold all of the nearly 22.5 million carbon credits it offered this year. Revenue from the auction is deposited into California's greenhouse gas reduction account. There it is used not just to reduce emissions or the cost of pollution controls for business, but also to build low-income housing near mass-transit hubs and support construction of the state's high-speed rail project.

Critics claim the money could be better spent to directly reduce emissions from industrial sources. Instead, some say the fund acts more like a pot of money for state politicians to build projects in their district for residents who may or my not use the transportation alternatives.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-28-2014, 01:01 PM
I like how these people are surprised when the imposed fees get passed on to the consumer

Pony
08-28-2014, 01:03 PM
:cheerlead:

DemonGeminiX
08-28-2014, 02:52 PM
I have friends, married couple, that are about to move out there, somewhere below Sonoma and Napa. Can't wait to rub this in their faces.

:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Did you tell them to move to AZ :lol:

Hal-9000
08-28-2014, 07:20 PM
I read that tax on a liter of gas (up here) is approximately 65%...

so a liter costs us the consumer $1.20 let's say. That 78 cents tax and 42 cents for actual exploration/refining/transportation of the product.

I'm sure glad that we're one of the biggest oil and gas manufacturers in the world :x

*American gallon is about 3.79 liters

DemonGeminiX
08-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Did you tell them to move to AZ :lol:

You made a choice that he doesn't have. He's military, Navy, so he's stuck with coastal or island assignments. They were either going to be stationed in the Northeast, Cali, or Guam. They both hate cold weather, and neither one of them wanted to go to Guam, so Cali was chosen by elimination. I'm surprised Texas wasn't on the list, as there's a Naval Station there on the Gulf Coast, and he's originally from there, but it wasn't.

I laid into them about the cost of living, taxes, gun laws, the fact that the state is overrun by liberal douchebags that are running it into the ground, and the state is next to last on the freedom index. She turned red in the cheeks with a smirk that implied, "Keep going, you smug fuckin' bastard, and I'll throw something at your head." And she would. :lol: He just shook his head and said, "I know. I know. But it's just two more years." Then we sat down and talked about all the cool places they could get to from their location, stuff that would be a reasonable weekend or extended getaway and such. Then they started laying into me about coming out to visit when they're out there. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. Although I did tell her to overnight me an In-N-Out burger.

So no, I reserve Arizona Bay solely for you, my dear friend. Besides they're gonna be living further north than you, and I believe they'll be east of the San Andreas.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-28-2014, 07:38 PM
:tup: With all the shitty politics and illegals aside, its my favorite place I have lived.

deebakes
08-29-2014, 02:52 AM
you must have never lived in minnesota before then :-k