PDA

View Full Version : Muddy-TV!

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:15 AM
List some of your favorite TV shows with brief descriptions for Muddy (and everyone else) :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/RUpAaNV.jpg

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:18 AM
I'll start with the big ones...

The Sopranos - 6 seasons of a family guy living in New Jersey, who is also a made guy in the mafia. Twist here is that he starts suffering anxiety attacks and decides to see a psychologist.

There's been all sorts of accolades for the writing, direction and acting. I didn't see it that way. I enjoyed the story of a man with a wife and two kids...who lives in an ultra violent world at times.

Muddy
09-03-2014, 01:22 AM
Sopranos.. Loved it..

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Breaking Bad

Muddy may have watched this. For others it's the story of a high school chemistry teacher who finds out he has cancer and the medical bills outweigh his income...he also discovers that he can make the best meth in the country, which opens a whole new world to him...

I've often tried to describe this show to people that haven't seen it. Excellent writing and acting coupled with unbearable tension in later seasons.. is about all I can come up with :lol:

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Ray Donovan

Another family guy who works as a 'fixer' for the rich and famous. His job is undefined (see totally illegal...) at times, but Ray is always the coolest cat on the block.

Him, his three brothers, his wife and his Dad all come from South Boston...which adds a little down home fun as they all currently live in LA

*this one reminds me of The Sopranos...and all of the actors, situations are excellent IMO

Muddy
09-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Orange is the new Black

This is a liberal, lesbian, anti Christian, pro anything but white male night time soap opera. It's full of shit but there are some good back stories and it keeps you coming back for more.. Plenty of stereo types represented in this jaint ..

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Hannibal (as suggested by PCS)

This one is a moody, atmospheric thriller. A little on the intellectual side. One minute psychiatrists are postulating theories, next minute the cops find a person sliced into 6 sections and encased in glass. The show is really about Hannibal and a forensic investigator/profiler named Will Graham. Both brilliant and crazy in their own ways...heavy on the crazy :thumbsup:

First season - weird, second season - totally WTF and wonderful. I enjoy good cinematography and this one is made for watching when...umm....relaxed.

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:36 AM
The Bridge

Interesting story about detectives in Texas and a detective from Mexico, working together after a grisly discovery on the border bridge. First season was great, the current one is not bad...

kind of a lazy tex-mex feel to the show along with damned good acting by the leads

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Hell on Wheels

Story of a man who fought for the south in the Civil War, then finagled his way into a job with the railroad.

Good performances and a real gritty old west feel permeate every scene and episode. One of the better westerns I've watched, including movies...

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:43 AM
True Blood

Quirky, funny and at times gruesome and violent....the story of a southern girl who meets a man named Vampire Bill :lol:

Vampires have come out of the closet and the series name is a drink synthesized from human blood, so vampires don't have to kill people and can live in harmony with humans.......

There is no way to describe this series...vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters....all set in Bon Temps, Louisiana

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:45 AM
Vikings

:-k a show about Vikings, duh!

:thumbsup: I like this one, improves every season

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Shameless - (US version)

An out of work alcoholic father who scams everyone for money, booze and drugs....and his six children who all live together and pull various types of shit to get by.

At times humorous and then deadly serious....great show about people who don't have much and screw the system any way they can.

deebakes
09-03-2014, 01:48 AM
Marrying the Game

http://i.imgur.com/5Lqj1Wq.jpg

VH1 show about the trials and tribulations of some black chick maybe or maybe not marrying "The Game" of G-Unit fame. My guess is Muddy is already tivo-ing this one :shrug:

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Justified

Modern day marshal who works near the redneck town he grew up in. Good performances and funny, then hardcore situations throughout.

*DGX has a poster of the lead actor over his bed :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:54 AM
The Leftovers *current new favorite of mine

3 years before the series takes place, 2 percent of the world's population vanishes without explanation. The people are never heard from again and no reason is given for the mass disappearance.

New cults form...one is a group of people who don't speak and constantly smoke. (save your breath)

First couple of episodes are slow, meandering....but then the disturbing stuff starts :lol:.. and I'm not talking sci-fi, I mean how the people react to phenomenon in different ways.

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Manhattan

Another new series about scientists in the late 1930's and 40's working on the atomic bomb in New Mexico. Loosely based on fact, there's been guest appearances by Oppenheimer, Niels Bohr and....Heisenberg :shifty:

I first thought it would be about the scientists and their wives/girlfriends and maybe degenerate into a soap opera...I was wrong. It focuses on the race to beat the Germans and is quite engaging at times if you're interested in the nerdy side of the arms race...

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 02:01 AM
Falling Skies

Under the Dome

The Strain

all sci-fi, all cheesy in their own way, and all perfect brain-check-in-at-the-door type shows :lol:

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Extant

New series with Halle Berry as an astronaut who returns from a solo 13 month mission in space....and she's pregnant.

Some neat tech ideas as it's set in the near future. Her scientist husband has built a lifelike human boy robot that lives with them. A few simultaneous ideas going on...

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 02:06 AM
The Killing

Slow paced detective series set in Seattle. During the first season each episode represented 24 hours of the investigation.

People complained it was too slow, real detectives commended it as being close to the truth of real police investigations...

I watched all of the seasons but ffs....at times I thought it was going to rain inside my house because of the mood of the series :lol:

both leads were fantastic IMO

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 02:34 AM
okay that's off the top of my head, after work posting.....I should let others make some suggestions :oops:

:thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2014, 04:12 AM
Justified

Modern day marshal who works near the redneck town he grew up in. Good performances and funny, then hardcore situations throughout.

*DGX has a poster of the lead actor over his bed :thumbsup:

I love this totally badass show like nobody's business. It's centered in Kentucky and was originally based on a short story by the recently deceased amazing writer Elmore Leonard called "Fire In The Hole". The main character, Raylan Givens, is a US Marshal that walks around like a modern day Wild West gunslinger. Dresses like one too. Seasons 2 and 3 will hook you hard. Unfortunately the next season (season 6, I believe) will be the last.

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Sons of Anarchy

Final season starting soon.

Show about a Cali-based outlaw biker gang called the Sons of Anarchy and their trials, tribulations, and exploits. There's some brutal hardcore shit in this show.

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2014, 04:21 AM
The Walking Dead

A group of survivors of a zombie apocalypse try to survive the new post apocalyptic landscape. Led by former sheriff Rick Grimes, it shows how people and families react and adapt to the situations of the atmosphere. Lots of gore (when they're not centered in one location looking for someone for half a season) and brutal stuff. Based on the still running comic book series of the same name.

RBP
09-03-2014, 04:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/qazlJBt.jpg

Just 'cause...

Muddy
09-03-2014, 10:08 AM
I love this totally badass show like nobody's business. It's centered in Kentucky and was originally based on a short story by the recently deceased amazing writer Elmore Leonard called "Fire In The Hole". The main character, Raylan Givens, is a US Marshal that walks around like a modern day Wild West gunslinger. Dresses like one too. Seasons 2 and 3 will hook you hard. Unfortunately the next season (season 6, I believe) will be the last.

we have a crew at work that loves it too..

PorkChopSandwiches
09-03-2014, 03:07 PM
So far I agree with all your suggestions minus gay vampires

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 04:08 PM

and Boyd Crowder...perhaps one of the best supporting roles in any series :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
09-03-2014, 09:47 PM
So far I agree with all your suggestions minus gay vampires

oh and I almost forgot

The Vampire Diaries

spin off called The Originals

spin off called Suck my bag you Californian Queen

Muddy
09-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Dr. Who

A time traveling Alien who thwarts off alien problems.. This is a very creatively written show.. Kinda brit corny with some intense stuff thrown in. You can tell some of the writers have some issues in their life they seem to be dealing with through their character selections.. example.. Every new doctor (he regenerates instead of dying, into a new person) has a companion ( usually a hot female) that he never gets romantically involved with.. But it seems like a lot of these companions either has or ends up with some black British guy. I could see once, but this is recurring.. Why the diss on the white boys?

Anyhoo.

I just discovered I have 12 new episodes to watch on Netflix! :woot:

redred
09-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Sons of Anarchy

Final season starting soon.

Show about a Cali-based outlaw biker gang called the Sons of Anarchy and their trials, tribulations, and exploits. There's some brutal hardcore shit in this show.
Can't wait it will be crazy

DemonGeminiX
09-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Can't wait it will be crazy

Gemma and Juice are so fucking dead when Jax finds out that it was Gemma that killed Tara.

DemonGeminiX
09-04-2014, 01:25 AM
Supernatural

2 brothers hunt down a whole mess of supernatural monsters and entities. Long considered the heir apparent to the X-Files. The first 2 seasons were the best, and in my opinion the show would have been awesome if it had ended after season 5, but there have been some cool things here and there since. The last episode of season 9 created a very wild development that I'd like to see play out.

... and I'm still waiting for God to show up... and I'd like to see Lucifer released from his cage again... Just sayin'...

Griffin
09-04-2014, 01:36 AM
The Flintstones, An animated sitcom about a caveman and his daily life. Each episode mirrors an average middle class working man. The characters are reminiscent of "The HoneyMooners". The constant use of animals to recreate modern technology adds humor.
In later seasons The Great Gazoo (an alien exiled to Earth) ties the series to another animated sitcom "The Jetsons".

Hal-9000
09-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Gemma and Juice are so fucking dead when Jax finds out that it was Gemma that killed Tara.

maybe spoilerize for folks that haven't watched the series yet :lol: :lol: that was a big moment :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
09-06-2014, 07:14 PM
The Flintstones, An animated sitcom about a caveman and his daily life. Each episode mirrors an average middle class working man. The characters are reminiscent of "The HoneyMooners". The constant use of animals to recreate modern technology adds humor.
In later seasons The Great Gazoo (an alien exiled to Earth) ties the series to another animated sitcom "The Jetsons".

whoa :shock: I didn't know about the Gazoo/Jetsons connection......damn

Hal-9000
10-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Homeland

Story of a soldier that returns to America after being imprisoned and tortured for eight years by Al Quaeda members. The first two seasons are some of the best TV I've watched. Not exactly a family show, but a good one to watch with the wife as family values play a predominant role.