PDA

View Full Version : Here's why your house doesn't smell like anything ... to you

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2014, 11:06 AM
By Matt Cantor - Newser

Ever noticed how your friends' homes have a distinct scent—but yours doesn't? Or wondered why the smell of your perfume doesn't get to you after a while? It's essentially because your brain has noticed these scents, registered them as unproblematic, and decided to ignore them, an expert explains to the Science of Us.

You initially notice smells in your environment as molecules reach your nostrils, but after your brain puts them in the non-dangerous category, "the receptors in your nose sort of switch off," says cognitive psychologist Pamela Dalton.

The purpose of this process, scientists think, is to allow us to pick up on new smells as soon as they emerge. "Whatever is new in your environment, that huge signal rises above the rest,” Dalton notes. Want to find out what your home smells like to others? More blood flow may help; try some exercise. It also might help to take a break; after vacations, Dalton points out, we often recognize our houses' smells, thinking it seems a little musty inside. So if you're looking for a fresh take on your favorite perfume, maybe don't use it for a while, Yahoo suggests. (As for your own scent, it can attract or repel mosquitoes.)

PorkChopSandwiches
09-05-2014, 04:06 PM
I went to a customers house and the entire place wreaked of cat piss, she's working in her home office like it unnoticeable. Meanwhile my eyes are watering. I then thought about the animals I have in my house and if I have just got used to their smells. So I had a buddy come over to confirm I wasn't living in filth :)

Hal-9000
09-05-2014, 08:17 PM
my house smells like a nice mixture of lilacs, cum and Michelina's! :)

Godfather
09-06-2014, 12:12 AM
This is interesting and makes a lot of sense!

I always wondered why exactly you couldn't smell your house after being away for a day, but after a few weeks you come home and can smell that nice (at least my home) own-home smell again.