PDA

View Full Version : It really is that simple: Feminists care about women

Teh One Who Knocks
09-05-2014, 11:30 AM
By Amanda Marcotte - The Raw Story

http://i.imgur.com/xMz24hd.jpg

I meant to post earlier, but the day got past me, in part because I was on CNN talking about the celebrity photo theft situation. Sadly, the video isn’t online—I suspect it got drowned out by bigger news stories—but I have been mildly fascinated by the way that assorted sexists have bent themselves into pretzels to suggest that it’s a woman’s fault if someone else forcibly tries to steal part of her private sex life from her to expose it to the world. It’s expanded well beyond the usual don’t-enjoy-your-life-if-you-don’t-want-random-strangers-to-humiliate-you-for-it bullshit. David Futrelle collected a strange theory that seems awfully popular amongst the misogynist crowd on Reddit.

http://i.imgur.com/bjQHNmk.png

Of course, right up until now, the main accusation against feminists is we’re trying to force MRAs to be attracted to women who don’t meet their exceedingly narrow beauty standards, because of our supposed and endless desperation for misogynist cock. And that we speak out against photoshopping excesses, etc. because we’re trying to steal the boners. But now the claim is we’re trying to hide female imperfection from them because it steals our vampiric lady powers. As with the feminists are sluts/feminists are prudes claim, somehow the same misogynists tend to hold both beliefs at once without noticing the contradiction.

David has some more examples, so I recommend reading his blog. But what really jumped out at me about these elaborate contortions is that they exist because MRAs reject outright the simplest explanation for why feminists are outraged about the photo theft: Because we believe women are human beings and have a right to privacy, and we’re repulsed by men who think it’s a fun sport to try to steal that from women. This is not only the simplest explanation, but also happens to be the true one.

So why do MRAs reject it outright? I suspect it’s because they believe that it’s impossible for anyone to give two shits about women. It’s the everyone-else-is-like-me fallacy. Because they can’t see women as human beings, they assume that must be true for everyone, even feminists.

You see this fallacy all over the anti-feminist blogs and conservative media angry herds of angry screamers on Twitter, that feminists must have some motivation other than a desire to help women. It’s because we’re trying to control the “price” of pussy or we’re attention whores or we’re broken people or ugly or sluts or professional victims or whatever. Because the idea that anyone could ever actually care about women just strikes them as too implausible to be entertained as a possibility.

But no, it really is the case. I am repulsed by people who steal your private sex photos and use them to publicly humiliate you for a simple reason: Because very few, if any people, want to have the private parts of their lives held out for the entire world to examine, and I am capable of imagining that people who aren’t me, including women, have internal lives and feelings just as much as I do. Seems simple, and yet so many people think that it’s preposterous that this could actually be the motivation.

Updated to add the video of my CNN appearance, which Tracy Clark-Flory graciously shared on Facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLm3SDrGxVE

RBP
09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
:stfu:

No idea why this is a gender war issue...

Hal-9000
09-06-2014, 05:49 PM
so you make a comment..as in offering your opinion on a news story and she categorizes it like this??

"..that assorted sexists have bent themselves into pretzels to suggest that it’s a woman’s fault if someone else forcibly tries to steal part of her private sex life..."

I don't believe I'm sexist, I've never bent myself into a pretzel over the issue and yes, if you take nude photos of yourself and store them in an ONLINE repository, that's just like putting them in a photo album on a higher shelf in your house and affixing a label saying - don't peek

Just from reading the article and watching the vid, it's my belief that this fallen sammichmaker has a lot of pent up angst when it comes to anything male. ie males are wrong out of the gate no matter what their opinions or actions are

RBP
09-06-2014, 06:00 PM
I agree, Hal. The men are sometimes equally at fault.

Here's the general pattern, and it played out in spades on this issue.

1) Event happens.
2) Feminists, blinded by ideological rage, blame men, misogyny, and patriarchal society.
3) Men, blinded by hatred of all things feminist, lash out at them in response.
4) Feminists respond to the angry men, expand the intent of the male comments to the ridiculous, then explain how feminists simply stand for equality and don't understand male anger.

Every. Single. Time.

The correct position for men to take is to point out that not every thing is a gender issue, and making ridiculous statements making everything a gender war does not advance anything.

If people want to take issue with this, take it on together as a privacy issue. Making it a gender issue solves nothing, while pushing men and women farther apart. That's not being "about equality".

Hal-9000
09-06-2014, 06:18 PM
fallen sammichmaker didn't even raise an eyebrow??

:lol:

you have a keen eye as I was hitting number 3 with a vengeance

agree completely...some things are issues on their own, gender unimportant...

Hal-9000
09-06-2014, 06:48 PM
is it just me or do all self labeled feminists look a little mean? :-k

like they haven't had a thoroughly good poking in a long, long time.....

ok, I'm out :lol:

RBP
09-06-2014, 11:10 PM
:lol: