PDA

View Full Version : Director Lars Von Trier Banned from Cannes for Nazi Comment

Teh One Who Knocks
05-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Us Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/7cnd2.jpg

Director Lars Von Trier will have to find film festivals other than Cannes to showcase his acclaimed, controversial movies.

After he shockingly claimed he was a Nazi in an interview, the Danish auteur has been banned, effective immediately, from the Cannes Film Festival.

During a press conference for his celebrated new film Melancholia starring Kirsten Dunst, Von Trier, 55, explained that he grew up believing he was of Jewish descent, only to discover he was, in fact, German.

"I found out that I was really a Nazi, because my family is German. And that also gave me some pleasure," he said. "So, I, what can I say? I understand Hitler," he said. "I think he did some wrong things but I can see him sitting in his bunker. I'm saying that I think I understand the man. He is not what we could call a good guy, but yeah, I understand much about him and I sympathize with him....Okay, I am a Nazi."

Shortly after that shocking press conference, the glittery film festival's organizers said in a statement via Deadline: "The Festival's Board of Directors...profoundly regrets that this forum has been used by Lars Von Trier to express comments that are unacceptable, intolerable, and contrary to the ideals of humanity and generosity that preside over the very existence of the Festival.

The Board of Directors firmly condemns these comments and declares Lars Von Trier a persona non grata at the Festival de Cannes, with effect immediately."

Von Trier later said he was "sorry if I hurt someone" with his remarks.

Muddy
05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Thats RBP !! :shock:

Deepsepia
05-19-2011, 06:02 PM
If you watch the statement, its just goofy. I think he's actually trying to say something sincere -- he has this curious thing that he was raised by a man who he thought was his natural father, a Jew, but it turned out to that his natural father was someone else. That's more than a little confusing, and I think his statement reflects more confusion than anything else. . .

Muddy
05-19-2011, 06:12 PM
People are too effin sensitive...

Deepsepia
05-19-2011, 06:17 PM
People are too effin sensitive...

Well, what he was saying sounded bad -- if you watch the clip, you can hear the folks on the panel gasping. At the end of the statement, even he realizes that he's gone far astray.

Its not a great idea to talk about "understanding Hitler" and to bash Israel in the same sentence.

Watching it, I think he's just very confused, he had something sincere to say that was personal, and then he just got really screwed up

Muddy
05-19-2011, 06:19 PM
you can hear the folks on the panel gasping.

Thats becasue they knew he was throwing his movie career in the trash.. :lol:

Hal-9000
05-19-2011, 06:22 PM
"I found out that I was really a Nazi, because my family is German. And that also gave me some pleasure,"

and I found out that I'm Ted Bundy's son and that I'm a serial killer...that gives me pleasure :)

Hal-9000
05-19-2011, 06:23 PM
"I think he did some wrong things.."

ya think? :rolleyes:

Muddy
05-19-2011, 06:23 PM
and I found out that I'm Ted Bundy's son and that I'm a serial killer...that gives me pleasure :)

I once had a dude I worked with that was a sheriff in the courthouse where Bundy was on trial...

Deepsepia
05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
"I found out that I was really a Nazi, because my family is German. And that also gave me some pleasure,"

was his natural father actually a Nazi? Or just a German? And why would that give you pleasure?

There are so many things wrong with his logic that you really do wonder . . .

Hal-9000
05-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I read - he derives some pleasure that he's not Jewish, he likes being a nazi and Hilter was a good guy....

ffs how far can he paint himself in that corner? :lol:

Muddy
05-19-2011, 06:31 PM
He was prolly just nervous and bungled his words like a dumbass..

Hal-9000
05-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I wonder about Salty at times..